James Chester

KJT123

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I often read about people worrying about height of players but I never understand it. One of the people I remember winning more headers than most was Alan Wright! Then I think of Gestede and realise that he fails to win about 50% of the headers he goes for - has this great knack of mistiming every jump.

So ability is far more useful than just height. I'd prefer any defender who could actually defend, whether they're 6ft 5 or 2ft 5!

Height has very little to do with ariel ability but there remains a strong link in people's minds. 

Move seen tall people be poor in the air (Crouch) and small people be good in the air (Wright).

• Like 1

Ronaldo is 6'1. Yes that's tall but not ridiculously so for a striker. I have never seen a player leap as high as him in 25 years of watching football regularly. 

Chester is taller than Chris Herd for what it's worth and he could handle himself in the air. 

Positioning, timing and athleticism > height alone. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, calcifer said:

My wife is a better option then Richards to be honest, she may be 35 weeks pregnant but can still move faster then that clown!

I reckon my Mrs could make it as a professional footballer.  The sheer volume of laughing gas she inhaled when birthing my kids she would fit right in I reckon! 

• Like 3

Elphick and Chester at CB. Very happy with that. Replace Hutton and let Amavi get back up to speed and that's a back 4 I can get on board with.

Just need some protection from the midfield. Jedinak to complete the new era 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Personally I thought Baker had a really good game against Wednesday. I'd keep him in there myself. 

It's a long season. 

I thought he was ok. 

However if the plan is for Chester and Elphick to be the starting pair I'd like to build that ASAP.

26 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Ive never heard of him, but he has to be pretty damn useless not to be better than the headless chickens we got atm.

Yep, we are a new defenders dream at the moment!

If you can stand on 2 feet without falling over you are an improvement, if you can stay with your man and tackle you are probably too good for us!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I often read about people worrying about height of players but I never understand it. One of the people I remember winning more headers than most was Alan Wright! Then I think of Gestede and realise that he fails to win about 50% of the headers he goes for - has this great knack of mistiming every jump.

So ability is far more useful than just height. I'd prefer any defender who could actually defend, whether they're 6ft 5 or 2ft 5!

That is complete crap. You may not like him as a player, but he actually wins most headers he goes for.

As for Chester, weren't we linked to him back under Lambert?

He's probably not good enough for the Prem, but can definitely do a job in the championship. Knows the league well.

Still I worry what happened with Lescott, Pullis knows his defenders and usually doesn't realise good ones.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I thought he was ok. 

However if the plan is for Chester and Elphick to be the starting pair I'd like to build that ASAP.

I'm up for that if that's the plan, but it's Thursday and the game is Saturday and to be honest, we have to win or I think I'm going to emigrate. 

• Like 2

Very happy with this - brings some experience and a bit of steely resilience and, as others have said, hopefully that is it now for Richards.  So would we be happy with Elphick, Chester, Baker and Okore as our main CBs or is Okore a liability?  I think he is rusty and very low on confidence.  He was awful last night but potentially good enough for this season?

8 hours ago, rubberman said:

Football has truly gone mad.  I know we're desperate but more than £8m for a defender who wasn't good enough to get in the West Brom side?

I said a couple of times in the takeover thread when people were getting excited about a £30-£40m spend that you can forget anything which had gone before.  A) we needed to change more players than probably any other team in history but mainly b )  the money in the PL is SUCH a game changer it was bound to filter down to this league.  Player fees are going to me much higher then ever before. £40m might not be enough to do what we need to do. 

Edited by sidcow

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ronaldo is 6'1. Yes that's tall but not ridiculously so for a striker. I have never seen a player leap as high as him in 25 years of watching football regularly. 

Chester is taller than Chris Herd for what it's worth and he could handle himself in the air. 

Positioning, timing and athleticism > height alone. 

Chris Herd had a supernatural leap, to be fair. So we can't expect anyone to match it any century soon.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Yep, we are a new defenders dream at the moment!

If you can stand on 2 feet without falling over you are an improvement, if you can stay with your man and tackle you are probably too good for us!

It's been that long since we've had a solid consistent partnership if he can do all that he will feel like Maldini to us 

not a fan of this transfer especially at the alleged price. 4th choice West Brom centre half last season behind Jonas Olsson 

If I recall his best form at Hull and Wales is in a back 3, looks suspect when seen him in a back 4

Â