James Chester

KJT123

7 hours ago, hippo said:

On a serious note - why would he come to us if Boro are interested...?

Why would he want to spend all season in a team out of their depth in a new league constantly up against it with a probable relegation at the end of it?  He will definitely go to Middlesbrough. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

4th choice West Brom centre half means first 11 for the,.

just like their previous season player of the year

Albions-Joleon-Lescott-controls-the-ball

i love how under no pressure he struggling to control the ball in that photo

• Like 1

wasn't the issue at WBA that Pulis signed him and then played him at right back (in the true Pulis style of CBs across the back 4). 

He was in the Hull team that got promoted from the championship, so has experience of this league (and doing well in it)

Edited by andym

I remember Chester being hot property at the beginning of last season when he was promoted with Hull. Bruce was warning people they wouldn't entertain bids for him (he's available but you'll pay)

Funny how going to Albion makes a player seem a bit less fashionable.

3 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

"Not good enough for WBA" is total nonsense, Gary Cahill wasnt good enough for MON because he had his favourites i.e older overpaid hoofers.

i initially read that as hookers, was wondering when Wayne Rooney was our manager

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Personally I thought Baker had a really good game against Wednesday. I'd keep him in there myself. 

It's a long season. 

Happy to keep baker in the squad. We will need plenty of cover during the long slog of a season. He played well against Wednesday and played last year in this league. He will play plenty this season if he stays and will be OK I feel. 

40 minutes ago, andym said:

wasn't the issue at WBA that Pulis signed him and then played him at right back (in the true Pulis style of CBs across the back 4). 

He was in the Hull team that got promoted from the championship, so has experience of this league (and doing well in it)

LB but yes.

1 hour ago, andym said:

So like Elphick he's played CB in a team who were promoted out of the league we are in.  How can anyone possibly have any questions a about this?  A CB pairing who have both got promoted from this division.  Seems to be a very sensible plan to get promoted from this division. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So like Elphick he's played CB in a team who were promoted out of the league we are in.  How can anyone possibly have any questions a about this?  A CB pairing who have both got promoted from this division.  Seems to be a very sensible plan to get promoted from this division. 

last year we had a central defensive partnership who both won the league and played for England ;)

• Like 1

Ok so like most of you I imagine I've only seen Chester play a handful of times. I never went out of my way to watch Hull but I do recall him being very highly rated for them and I think I saw him once for the Albion and of course a few times for Wales. I've liked him but I don't feel like I've seen enough to judge, so I've spoke to a couple of lads who follow the Albion both home and away, one of whom watches just about every football match available, so have at least seen him a dozen times + each and have paid a bit more attention than I! 

The general consensus is that he's a hard working player, doesn't let his head drop but is not necessarily a leader. He's not a carthorse and he's not quick either, however he reads the game very well. Anticipating the path of the ball and intercepting it is probably his strongest attribute. His football intelligence is high, he is comfortable on the ball and is expansive in his passing. He's OK in the air, but nothing special. 

He can get bullied by bigger players if they are not marshaled properly, I am assured this will happen from time to time so get used to it! He has his off days, can and will be beaten, but he's not necessarily error prone. He was jeered off the pitch a couple of times but this is thought to be standard scapegoating. Pulis is hated down The Hawthorns by almost everyone and they all got a bit of stick from time to time. 

Interestingly and likely relevant, he did play in a back 2 under Pearson for two seasons and finished runner up in their player of the year awards in 11/12 playing in said position. In The Championship. I got that bit from Wiki ;)

I wrote all that in the time it takes to make a cup of tea, FYI. Hope it helps!

• Like 4

Yep, I agree. It's a good signing, a little unspectacular perhaps, but who cares? I wasn't expecting Pique to suddenly turn up so as a Championship team we have to cut out cloth accordingly and accept that some players are the kind of players we can actually get and actually need. Murphy says its around the £7m mark which for a Championship winning defender, and dare I say any half decent defender, that's peanuts. 

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

last year we had a central defensive partnership who both won the league and played for England ;)

I seem to have found myself trapped in your post. You know this was less recent and/or they were not central characters,  these 2 were central to it and in the last couple of years. 

Â