James Chester

KJT123

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Back 3 is fine but

Zero depth, one injury and we're back to okore/Richards

rwb would be Hutton or Bacuna

meh

I don't actually think those pair covering for injury is a a problem. What we need to establish is a system of defending. Once we have a system in place players can slot into the system with a clear game plan. At the moment each defender just defends as they see fit at that particular moment in time. We need a system.

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Categorically it was the wrong move to give them any more chances. At least they've addressed the mistake quickly.

The thing is I understand why they did give them a chance, at least it was in a pointless cup game we were never going to win. Promotion is my goal this season forget the league cup. Its going to be  along season anyways

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Back 3 is fine but

Zero depth, one injury and we're back to okore/Richards

rwb would be Hutton or Bacuna

meh

If one goes down injured.. we can always switch back to a 442 and have just the two fit ones. Id rather that than play some of those muppets. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is I understand why they did give them a chance, at least it was in a pointless cup game we were never going to win. Promotion is my goal this season forget the league cup. Its going to be  along season anyways

I don't.

I think it was both naive and a little arrogant and perhaps some wishful thinking.

49 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

I'm sure at the beginning when the manager was being talked about the owner mentioned he spoke to all the candidates but chose RDM as he had a plan to create 3 teams - 1 to get us out if this division. 1 to consolidate in the premier and the final one to move to the next level that's why he chose him. Was it RDM or Moyes? But I do remember reading that. 

So is this team the one to get us up and then another rebuild to be done? 

That was Moyes, but wouldn't surprise me we're using a similar plan with RDM. Seems pretty logical :) 

As for Chester.... better than Okore? Yup. Better than Richards? Yup.Better than Baker? Yup.

I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I don't.

I think it was both naive and a little arrogant and perhaps some wishful thinking.

he did say it was a clean slate and he was willing to give people a go. Elphick had a slight injuring so I agree with him not playing him. Richards was pretty decent at rb until Luton scored then we collapsed. If he didnt play Okore and Richards who could have played? Hutton who was crap? Toner? No options. Maybe they looked very good in training we dont know? 

Dont think he was being arrogant at all, think thats a little harsh. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

he did say it was a clean slate and he was willing to give people a go. Elphick had a slight injuring so I agree with him not playing him. Richards was pretty decent at rb until Luton scored then we collapsed. If he didnt play Okore and Richards who could have played? Hutton who was crap? Toner? No options. Maybe they looked very good in training we dont know? 

Dont think he was being arrogant at all, think thats a little harsh. 

I didn't watch the game but I'm fairly certain Richards wasn't playing RB he was CB and Hutton was RB. So not really following the above.

You are missing the point though Dem, my view is he should have replaced them earlier in which case he wouldn't have had the selection dilemma you describe.

And no I don't think it is harsh, my suggestion of arrogance was because of the comment that came out last week about 'good players poorly managed' that is arrogant and quite clearly incorrect.

How can anyone be unhappy with this signing. You do realise that if Baker or Elphick get injured (which given that both are nmade of glass will happen) that means that either Okore or Richards will play! I'd be hoping we sign another CB just in case.

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

How can anyone be unhappy with this signing. You do realise that if Baker or Elphick get injured (which given that both are nmade of glass will happen) that means that either Okore or Richards will play! I'd be hoping we sign another CB just in case.

Toner did ok for me last season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I didn't watch the game but I'm fairly certain Richards wasn't playing RB he was CB and Hutton was RB. So not really following the above.

You're wrong. Richards switched to centre half when Baker went off injured.

You didn't watch the game?

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You are missing the point though Dem, my view is he should have replaced them earlier in which case he wouldn't have had the selection dilemma you describe.

And no I don't think it is harsh, my suggestion of arrogance was because of the comment that came out last week about 'good players poorly managed' that is arrogant and quite clearly incorrect.

Richards played RB for the first half with Okore and Baker at CB. He was ok at RB. It was when he switched to CB and Hutton came on that it all went Pete Tong.

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Trent, baker started with okore as CBs, with richards at rb. Hutton came on when baker got injured then richards moved to CB. :thumb:

Your second point I agree with but we just don't know what the availability of the players he wanted so its abit hard to know why he hasn't. To be fair we looked defensively solid against Sheffield Wednesday. 

I would say he has a point Sherwood wasnt exactly the best manager we had. Disagree with you that he was arrogant on that one.  

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You're wrong. Richards switched to centre half when Baker went off injured.

You didn't watch the game?

Nope and glad I didn't, I struggle to find much enthusiasm to watch us these days to be honest and with kids there are often but things to do with my time.

Loads of people have been saying Okore and Elphick are our best partnership without taking into account neither play left side. Luton showed Richards is ok as a RB Okore is ok as RCB but we need a left sided defender so if Baker gets injured we have a replacement. I think Chester will be a starter so that's a bonus as it relegates Baker who has proven he can do a job in this league. 4 CB's is normally the minimum so we are getting there if he signs. We will still need a RB as the current options aren't good enough. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't follow. How is experience in the league we are in not a 'thing'? We aren't in the league above, we are in the championship, so to me signing players that have excelled in the Championship in order to reach the PL are just what we want.

But why? I don't follow the logic. There are better players out there than ones who have done well in the Championship but then struggle.

Similarly, the Championship basically swaps out 6 teams every season and typically has a high turnover of players. I don't understand what benefit playing in the Championship previously gives a player. The pressure of holding on to a lead at the top of the table for those that have been successful maybe? That's all I can think of. 

Â