James Chester

KJT123

3 minutes ago, villanmac said:

I'll get shot for saying it but Clark is better than all of our defenders (inc Chester when he signs).

I also worry about the height if he's alongside Elphick who himself is no 6 footer.

Shot, you need sectioning pal ;)

If us and Borough both have our bids accepted I can see him going to them over us. We did well with snatching McCormack from Norwich but to do the same to a Prem team might prove a step too far.

Unless he has taste, of course. :D

4 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

If us and Borough both have our bids accepted I can see him going to them over us. We did well with snatching McCormack from Norwich but to do the same to a Prem team might prove a step too far.

Hopefully he is afraid of change and wants to stay in the midlands.

I do worry that a pairing of him and Elphick might be less than ideal due to both of them being rather short for CB's.

With the reported fee you'd think we'd be able to find better players, especially if we look abroad.

Not sold on this one, partly because I have not seen enough of him.

Would he be and £8 m worth improvement on Baker? 

Just now, sne said:

I do worry that a pairing of him and Elphick might be less than ideal due to both of them being rather short for CB's.

With the reported fee you'd think we'd be able to find better players, especially if we look abroad.

Whilst I agree with some of your points, I'm trying to look at this as:

1. It's a player RDM wants.
  2. Great previous experience in the Championship.
  3. Good pedigree and character.
  4. Has a bit of Prem experience.
  5. Honest and hardworking.

I think it's more of a case of looking at the impact on the whole team and not just the individual. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Don't under-estimate personal circumstances in all of this. 1) He is a villa fan apparently and 2) He, his family, routine, schools, kids will all be set up in the area.

We're looking to bring in players with a winning mentality too - De Laet managed to win the Premier League and get promoted from the Championship last season, and Chester has just played every game for Wales in reaching the semi final of Euro 2016.  That's going to be vital considering most of the squad won 3 league games last season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Dont ask is he better than Baker,  ask is he better than Richards and close your eyes and think about Richards being picked again.  Now open your eyes and tell me is he worth 8M

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

The market this summer has made it almost impossible to access a players value. For me he is a better center back than all but Elphick, so would be a welcome addition. 

1 hour ago, villanmac said:

I'll get shot for saying it but Clark is better than all of our defenders (inc Chester when he signs).

I also worry about the height if he's alongside Elphick who himself is no 6 footer.

There may be some truth to this but he, like so many of our first team has been scarred by playing at a club with a losing mentality from top to bottom for too long - the move was best for both parties. I can imagine him being well worth the money NUFC paid for him.

Just now, Richard said:

Dont ask is he better than Baker,  ask is he better than Richards and close your eyes and think about Richards being picked again.  Now open your eyes and tell me is he worth 8M

:D Even Lescott is better than Richards.

But as Baker seem to be second choice after Elphick and I doubt we'd be spending £8 m on a 3rd choice CB it's Baker I'm comparing with.

As I said I haven't seen enough of him to say either way. Any incoming player is good news as far as I see it.

I'll say this thou. IF we spend big money on a CB, but go into the season with Richards, Hutton and Bacuna as RB options I'd be livid.

Â