James Chester

KJT123

Baggies mate (STH) says on the few occasions Pulis has played him centre back Chester has looked assured and played well. Pulis insisted on trying to turn Chester into a RB which has clearly failed, but doesn't trust his lack of height to play him at CB. Think he'd do a job and an improvement on the shambles that is Okore and Lescott. 

Ashley Williams to Everton, Ledley potentially moving, now Chester. ****, even the Wales GK coach is now the England GK coach.

At what point will managers and football teams stop basing their signings on summer tournaments? I'm not saying they didn't all do fantastically well, they did. But it was a specific set of circumstances. 

If we can recreate the same sort of club atmosphere here, then having Chester and Ledley etc. could be great. Otherwise, I fear they could be left looking a little average - which as others have already pointed out, would still be a massive leap forward.

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ashley Williams to Everton, Ledley potentially moving, now Chester. ****, even the Wales GK coach is now the England GK coach.

At what point will managers and football teams stop basing their signings on summer tournaments? I'm not saying they didn't all do fantastically well, they did. But it was a specific set of circumstances. 

If we can recreate the same sort of club atmosphere here, then having Chester and Ledley etc. could be great. Otherwise, I fear they could be left looking a little average - which as others have already pointed out, would still be a massive leap forward.

To be fair those players have all been decent performers for years at club level and would always have attracted interest if and when available.  I don't think anyone has gone for Robson-Kanu despite his efforts in the Euros and being on a free.

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Would it help people if we thought about this deal as Clark plus 3m ?

In that case we have definitely improved. 

I just think the more of the losers we can remove and replace the better. We've all seen the power of team spirit and cohesion, along with a winning mentality, with Leicester last season and Wales. The sum of the team is greater than its parts. 

We will only get to that path by removing the rot. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Agreed. Just interested to see the price. Surely WBA are taking a hit on the £8m they paid for him last summer, he's not been playing for them.

According to Sky it's ~£7m. Good stuff.

56 minutes ago, fonz said:

Baggies mate (STH) says on the few occasions Pulis has played him centre back Chester has looked assured and played well. Pulis insisted on trying to turn Chester into a RB which has clearly failed, but doesn't trust his lack of height to play him at CB. Think he'd do a job and an improvement on the shambles that is Okore and Lescott. 

Yeah the general opinion amongst the ones I work with is decent player hardly given a chance 

Â