James Chester

KJT123

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Strongly disagree.

All 3 have Championship experience, have been promoted and have played at PL level when/if we go back up. 

Championship experience. Is that really a thing? It's an inferior league to the one above.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

Championship experience. Is that really a thing? It's an inferior league to the one above.

Players that have been there, done that and won games down here.

We definitely need it. Our players look scared shitless when we concede.

We're a championship club. We need players who have performed at a good level down here.

Were you this negative about McCormack out of interest?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I struggle to believe that anyone (of us VT folk) paid particular attention to him at Hull. 

We're basically talking about a guy who can't get a game under one of the most defensive-minded managers around. For at least £7m. <_<

Yet weirdly people who have seen him play think he's decent. 

Go figure. 

He seems like a good centre half but most importantly seems to be of the mentality of taking the game to the opposition, he seems to act rather than react and we need a lot of that.

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

But De Laet, Jedinak and Chester (apparently)? That's isn't returning to the Premier League, it's burying yourself in the depths of the Championship.

All three of the players you mentioned (plus Elphick) have recent experience promoting teams from the Championship to the Premier League. Why isn't that "returning to the Premier League"?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, and we're in the Championship...not that league above. It's not just Championship experience, but experience in being promoted from the Championship. These were key players in promotion squads who went on to play 3 or 4 seasons in the PL as key players as well. Especially in central defence, I'd say that kind of experience is invaluable for us right now (Elphick has the same type of experience and we've all seen the difference he's made in 1 game).

Having a solid if unspectacular CB who is proven at this level is a monumental step up from Okore and Richards. The same goes for Jedinak. And De Laet has proven in the past few years that he is a competent right back at Championship level at least (he was decent in Leicester's first season in the prem too). You can't say that isn't a huge step up on Hutton especially based on yesterday's showing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Players that have been there, done that and won games down here.

We definitely need it. Our players look scared shitless when we concede.

We're a championship club. We need players who have performed at a good level down here.

Were you this negative about McCormack out of interest?

No, I wasn't. I was upbeat about McCormack as he was a starting forward (and star player) at the team we bought him from.

James Chester is not. Mile Jedinak is not. Ritchie De Laet is not.

If they all come and perform well then it's all good, of course.

I'm kind of on the fence with this lot of rumours. Are they better than what we have - definitely.  Are they good enough for where we want to be - probably not. 

So I can't really get that excited. I hope they come in and help us get promoted - if they do I'll be grateful but also expect that we will need to upgrade again pretty soon.

One step at a time I suppose.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No, I wasn't. I was upbeat about McCormack as he was a starting forward (and star player) at the team we bought him from.

James Chester is not. Mile Jedinak is not. Ritchie De Laet is not.

If they all come and perform well then it's all good, of course.

Yes but McCormack came from a club below us and the other three of the come are taking steps down to us.

• Like 1

I'm sure at the beginning when the manager was being talked about the owner mentioned he spoke to all the candidates but chose RDM as he had a plan to create 3 teams - 1 to get us out if this division. 1 to consolidate in the premier and the final one to move to the next level that's why he chose him. Was it RDM or Moyes? But I do remember reading that. 

So is this team the one to get us up and then another rebuild to be done? 

• Like 1

Â