James Chester

KJT123

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

And no I don't think it is harsh, my suggestion of arrogance was because of the comment that came out last week about 'good players poorly managed' that is arrogant and quite clearly incorrect.

He can hardly come out and say they're all crap true and all as it seems. He might think differently in private and be working on getting rid. He needs to improve the squad. I don't think that he is under any illusions about that but he is invariably going to end up with  a few incompetent players as lets face it - who will want some of them? He needs them to believe that they are decent and publicly display confidence in players at his disposal. Otherwise they will think that they are not wanted, morale will fall. If he needs to use them he at least needs them to believe that he trusts them to perform. Whether he does or not is a completely different matter.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But why? I don't follow the logic. There are better players out there than ones who have done well in the Championship but then struggle.

Similarly, the Championship basically swaps out 6 teams every season and typically has a high turnover of players. I don't understand what benefit playing in the Championship previously gives a player. The pressure of holding on to a lead at the top of the table for those that have been successful maybe? That's all I can think of. 

If they were good in the championship it's a strong indicator the they will be good for us. 

I don't see what's so complicated about that. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But why? I don't follow the logic. There are better players out there than ones who have done well in the Championship but then struggle.

Similarly, the Championship basically swaps out 6 teams every season and typically has a high turnover of players. I don't understand what benefit playing in the Championship previously gives a player. The pressure of holding on to a lead at the top of the table for those that have been successful maybe? That's all I can think of. 

Because the players who are better than Championship quality tend to move to Premier League clubs. 

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We are. And you can quote me on that. #ITK.

I can see the story now...

"James Chester has signed for Aston Villa from rivals WBA. Our source on Villa Talk, @villa89 said "We are" when asked to confirm that the Villains are the club Chester joined after Pullis tweeted he'd been sold."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If they were good in the championship it's a strong indicator the they will be good for us. 

I don't see what's so complicated about that. 

That's different to "Championship experience", though.  Players being good players wherever they are (within reason) is an indicator they will be good for us.

Chester and Jedinak last played in this league, what, 4 seasons ago?  I don't get how that experience means they're more suited than, say, Jonny Evans and Lee Cattermole who have no Championship experience.  The same way people talk about the "physicality of the Championship" - the more physical, better athletes typically play in the top leagues.

If we sign him and it works out for us, then great, I don't particularly have a problem with the signing other than it's a bit underwhelming.

• Like 1

Texted my Moms Husband yesterday, he's an Albion fan. This was his reply.

Dont Think we should sell him. He only played about a dozen games but Pulis plays him as a full back, which he isnt. He was brilliant for Wales in euros. Thing is Arsenal are linked with Johnny Evans and Mcaulley is 37. If we lose them we will be short of centre backs ourselves, so it makes no sense to sell him.

I live and work in the black country, and everyone i have spoken to has said the same about Pulis playing him at fullback.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's different to "Championship experience", though.  Players being good players wherever they are (within reason) is an indicator they will be good for us.

Chester and Jedinak last played in this league, what, 4 seasons ago?  I don't get how that experience means they're more suited than, say, Jonny Evans and Lee Cattermole who have no Championship experience.  The same way people talk about the "physicality of the Championship" - the more physical, better athletes typically play in the top leagues.

If we sign him and it works out for us, then great, I don't particularly have a problem with the signing other than it's a bit underwhelming.

All fair. 

I don't get the underwhelming part though, who would you prefer we sign? Newcastle spent £5m on Ciaran Clark for comparison. 

If the more physical players play in the higher league, which I sort of agree with, then surely the more physical we are the better? It could give us an edge. 

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

All fair. 

I don't get the underwhelming part though, who would you prefer we sign? Newcastle spent £5m on Ciaran Clark for comparison. 

If the more physical players play in the higher league, which I sort of agree with, then surely the more physical we are the better? It could give us an edge. 

I'd also add to this, Chester has shown he can play in the PL. I just don't get how this is an underwhelming signing. We needed a CB. We're getting one in his prime who has proven experience in both the Championship and PL.

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

All fair. 

Genuinely, I don't see much I difference between Clark and Chester. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong! (I actually don't think Clark is that bad...)

I can't really think of a centre back off the top of my head that I'd specifically want and who would come here. I'm slightly concerned this will mean we have a central pairing lacking in height, too. Is there really no-one better out there for £7/£8m though?

RDM didn't waste any time throwing McCormack in the team at Hillsborough. Given the comedy defending against Luton, and with Baker being being an injury doubt, i wouldn't be surprised if Chester makes the team tomorrow should he be registered in time. 

Â