Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He isn’t, I think it’s the last we’ll hear of him as a professional footballer 

Totally, if he had any interest in playing football he would have done it by now in the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

What the **** is a variation agreement?

Basically it happens when two parties have a contract and they agree to change the terms.

so Villa had a contract with RM saying you are on our books for another year and ‘cos we are in the PL we will pay £70,000 next year.

They changed it to one saying you are not on our books and we won’t pay you £70,000.

Although I guess they had to pay him something - how much we are unlikely to hear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

You’ve been impressively quick on the trigger finger moving some of these over. I salute you! 

As for McCormack, he will be banished to the scrap heap alongside so many other failed Villa signings, and soon forgotten. 

I’ve been sat with my trigger finger itching to do them!

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Yet another one less energy drain for the club to have to deal with.

Sure it will have cost us money, but he's gone now.

It has cost less than it would have done to keep him until the end of his contract and it removes him from BMH etc.

It is the best possible outcome we could hope for.

Just to add, you don't go paying out a few million quid to get rid of someone if you've FFP concerns or don't have cash to spend bringing people in.

• Like 2

Good news as far as shunting out someone of zero value to the club. He wouldn't have ever played for us again and we would never have got anyone to take him on loan whilst covering his massive wages, so he'd have been a financial drain on the club in some way until contract expiry.

I doubt we'll ever know what the details are behind the euphemism. However, contract variance can cover a multitude of elements of the contract. The one we can be sure of is contract length. The parties have agreed a variance to end it before it original life term.

What we won't get to know is what variance to the consideration there was, i.e. were we able to get him to accept less than the full paid up contract? I would imagine there have been some lawyerly wrangles about his fitness, non-performance, possible breaches he has or is likely to commit and how it would be everybody's interest if he takes x% of the value and **** off whilst we are still being cordial.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2019 at 10:00, Hornso said:

I wouldn't think McCormack would want to hang around Brum if he was paid out. 

Well I was wrong and I couldn't be happier.

Suspect we've said something along the lines of if you stay, we're not loaning you out and you're not training with us. If you take less money, you can leave now and do whatever the hell you want - find a new club or go to the pub.

3 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Suspect we've said something along the lines of if you stay, we're not loaning you out and you're not training with us. If you take less money, you can leave now and do whatever the hell you want - find a new club or go to the pub.

Perhaps we offered to buy him a pub, like retiring footballers did in the 60s...

• Haha 1

Â