Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

On 21/05/2019 at 13:20, DaveAV1 said:

Bruce gambled that by going public about RMC, he would force him to tow the line and pull his weight. It was a mistake and for that Bruce has to take the blame. If it had worked he would have proclaimed from the rooftops how his brilliant man management had turn Ross’s career around. But it didn’t work, so he has to take responsibility  

Collectively those who were responsible for signing him clearly didn’t do any proper due diligence. But up to his public dressing down he had enjoyed a relatively successful career, to the extent that he was apparently work £12m and a lucrative contract.

He’d clearly had problems in the past but they had been successfully managed by his previous clubs. If Bruce hadn’t gone public, no matter how frustrated he was with the player, we would still have had a chance to unload him. In the January window there’s always struggling PL clubs, desperate for a striker with a decent record to pin their survival hopes on. Bruce made him toxic and so impossible to sell. 

I think there is a subtle difference there.....but your argument has validity, no doubt.

However, when you look at the difference between the McCormack and Hogan cases, the attitudes are huge.....but the net result on the pitch is similar.

Problem for us Dave, is there is probably so much we simply don't know.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that's a fair point. Obviously there is a financial benefit to getting rid of him if his wages go up if he stays.

But that raises another question. Would he still be entitled to some extra money if we did that? Otherwise surely more teams would do that when they got promoted as I'm sure there are plenty of similar clauses knocking around.

but if he goes out on loan and the deal is 100% wages by the loaning club, where does that leave his pay rise?.....His wages deal with us, would be negated surely?

Unless, we are paying some, then that would be pro-rata.

58 minutes ago, Thug said:

I’m pretty sure if we paid him off now, then we went up, his lawyers would be knocking again to claim what he’s owed if we went up.

Hes not stupid.

We can’t sack him unless he does something sackable.  And if we offered to buy out his contract, he’d probably want full whack, including any bonuses etc.

No point.

just let the clock run down.

Our only hope is is that he gets bored, and wants to play elsewhere, and accepts some kind of compromise deal.

That’s why it’s never a good idea to sign these ‘marquee’ players in the twilight of their careers.

if things go tits up.. they’ve no motivation at all to reach a compromise.  a young player would have to think of his career.

I think Dean is far better at evaluating younger players, so we may move away from that previous format.

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think there is a subtle difference there.....but your argument has validity, no doubt.

However, when you look at the difference between the McCormack and Hogan cases, the attitudes are huge.....but the net result on the pitch is similar.

Problem for us Dave, is there is probably so much we simply don't know.

I’m sure there’s a lot we don’t know and neither should we. In no other industry would disciplinary matters be made public, in fact in many circumstances that may even be illegal.

But in essence you are of course right, we don’t know a great many facts. Then again, this and every other forum would be very quiet if we only went on facts!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thug said:

I’m pretty sure if we paid him off now, then we went up, his lawyers would be knocking again to claim what he’s owed if we went up.

Hes not stupid.

We can’t sack him unless he does something sackable.  And if we offered to buy out his contract, he’d probably want full whack, including any bonuses etc.

No point.

just let the clock run down.

Our only hope is is that he gets bored, and wants to play elsewhere, and accepts some kind of compromise deal.

That’s why it’s never a good idea to sign these ‘marquee’ players in the twilight of their careers.

if things go tits up.. they’ve no motivation at all to reach a compromise.  a young player would have to think of his career.

I agree with a lot of what you say - however I am not certain that many of us were dissapointed with the McCormack signing - I feel a lot of us thought we were signing a pretty accomplished goal getter at this level ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave J said:

I agree with a lot of what you say - however I am not certain that many of us were dissapointed with the McCormack signing - I feel a lot of us thought we were signing a pretty accomplished goal getter at this level ?

Agree.

i was happy with the signing at the time myself.

Its easy with hindsight, but I think a lesson needs to be learnt here.

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Oh, we’re 5 days away from the playoff final.

Not a lot to talk about is there?

I know, let’s talk about Ross McCormack! That is clearly the most important issue for Villa fans right now. 😄

.......while waiting in the doctors.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Oh, we’re 5 days away from the playoff final.

Not a lot to talk about is there?

I know, let’s talk about Ross McCormack! That is clearly the most important issue for Villa fans right now. 😄

McCormack and the commercial agreement for next seasons shirts...........thrilling ;)

• Like 1

Is it just a year left on his contract?

Even Motherwell don't want him back. Maybe we can send him back to Australia. Failing that I'd pay him his money and terminate his contract, he's never going to play for us again, and we don't need his influence around the club. 

Cheaper to hire a hitman. Make it look like he fell off a bar stool. 

Edited by av1

Â