Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

The biggest difference from last season is that we seem to have some organisation on the coaching side. We have some poor players and some that need coaching right. Already the noises from the players are better which to me suggests that they will hopefully play better. The signings are positive and the youngsters seem eager for an opportunity and are ready for it. It is clear that the starting 11 for the 1st game will be a lot different to the team that played the last match against Arsenal which was: 

Bunn, Lyden, Bacuna, Lescott, Toner, Cissokho, Westwood, Sánchez, Gueye, Sinclair, J Ayew

Substitutes: Guzan, Richards, Traoré, Gil, Hepburn-Murphy, Gestede, Grealish

I am not even sure what formation was played but that was an awful team. Black's selections were by far the worse of the managers last season. Based on the pre season games I would say that out of the starting 11 only Bacuna, Cissokho, Westwood and Ayew have a chance of starting (and Gana if he stays) so we have already changed over half the starting 11. We are already a better team from last season. 

The point is even as it stands I reckon we are a good mid-table championship team and with a good run push for the play-offs. Some more squad changes between now and the end of the window will only improve the team and push us higher up the table. 

Ultimately time will tell but there are some poor teams in the Championship but we will know by 1st September how realistic promotion next season is.

37 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Bunn, Lyden, Bacuna, Lescott, Toner, Cissokho, Westwood, Sánchez, Gueye, Sinclair, J Ayew

Substitutes: Guzan, Richards, Traoré, Gil, Hepburn-Murphy, Gestede, Grealish

I know we were all here, and we were all watching this, but seeing it in writing now everything has settled down still haunts/shocks me. Look at the bloody state of that team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Not enough has changed to get promotion. The squad.. we have three new players and all the awful ones are still here. Except Guzan. Gueye practically gone and new articles today stating Ayew wants to leave. Yes we have time. No doubt about that.. but how long will it take for them to gel? Kick off is just over a week away. It will take time if we have to bed in 3-4 new players. 

One major thing has changed....

The quality of the opposition has dropped massively.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I know we were all here, and we were all watching this, but seeing it in writing now everything has settled down still haunts/shocks me. Look at the bloody state of that team.

It's amazing to think that was an actual line up in the Premier League. At Arsenal, no less.

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's amazing to think that was an actual line up in the Premier League. At Arsenal, no less.

in fairness to Erik Black, I dont think he even knew what his idea was that day :P 

13 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

One major thing has changed....

The quality of the opposition has dropped massively.

A few of those players in our squad will still struggle in the Championship. I question there hunger towards the game all together. That hasnt changed. Would struggle in the A - League some of them. 

• Like 1

I'm certainly not starting the season with the expectation we will get promoted. The Championship is a long hard grind and we shall need to see if our squad has the consistency and stamina. 

If we start playing with a bit more organisation and resolve and get harder to beat that will be a big step forward from the last 3 seasons. 

Won't even thinking about promotion until I see where we are at Christmas.

Edited by briny_ear

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Really?

In six weeks, our disinterested owner has gone, our idiotic CEO and the rest of the clowns who were in charge (I don't include the football board as clowns) have been turfed out. We have a new, interested owner. We have a champions league winning manager who knows what he is doing, a manager who most premier league clubs would be happy with. An assistant manager and coaching team that are up there with the best in the league.

We have a new leader on the pitch, probably the new captain, we have a number of the very good youngsters being added to the team, we have got a very highly rated goalkeeper and goalkeeping coach to replace the comedy defence we had last year.

The lack of commitment, depressing atmosphere and unsupportive environment from last year has gone, there is optimism and determination amongst the team.

The rumours about Ayew are just that, rumour, no quotes, nothing. Both Dr X and RDM have said, repeatedly, that he is staying.

The likelihood of Gabby, Richards or Lescott being anywhere near the first team is very very slim.

The team (on paper) that we had last season should not have been relegated from the prem, and is easily good enough for the championship - what was missing was attitude, commitment and a management and coaching team that knew what they were doing. Which we now have.

We do not need 10 new players, we need an overall attitude and commitment change (which has happened), a manager that knows what they are doing (check), a supportive and experienced, competent back room team (check), and careful additions here and there (in progress) whilst removing any remaining poisonous influences (Gabby, Lescott, Richards). With Amavi coming back, and Traore too, that is as good as two new signings, as is Gardner. we also have Bennett, RHM, Lyden and Green to beef up the squad.

I would expect a few more players out (the three poison players), and a couple of quality replacements in (realistically a RB and Striker) + replacements for any others that leave.

A lot has happened in the last 6 weeks, and I for one am looking forward to the new season. 7 weeks ago, I was dreading it.

This is the VT I know and love. Reasoned, well thought out, analytical and rounded, (with a slight leaning towards optimism).

We'd definitely be a Tinder match.

49 minutes ago, jim said:

No chance for the next 2/3 years imo.

A ball hasn't even been kicked in season 1 of the Championship yet. How can you possibly know enough about what will happen in the next 2/3 years after 6 weeks of new ownership to make statements like this?

I just don't get why you would make a statement like this. Only reason I can see is that if it all goes balls up, you can turn around and say 'look I said it would'. Otherwise, what's the point?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

A ball hasn't even been kicked in season 1 of the Championship yet. How can you possibly know enough about what will happen in the next 2/3 years after 6 weeks of new ownership to make statements like this?

I just don't get why you would make a statement like this. Only reason I can see is that if it all goes balls up, you can turn around and say 'look I said it would'. Otherwise, what's the point?

I agree, although in fairness, the same could apply to quite a few posts in the EU thread! Let's wait and see.

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

As it stands, in terms of playing staff, we're going backwards imo. Very underwhelmed with the business so far.

Can understand you being underwhelmed but I can't see how we've gone backwards.

40 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Can understand you being underwhelmed but I can't see how we've gone backwards.

Simply because we're replacing experience with unknown quantities in the most part.

No matter what way you look at it, the midfield without Gana, is a lot weaker even with tshibola for example.

Defence seems a little more stable with Elphick but it did when we first signed richards and lescott.

Attack is as you were.

And gk is, well, we just don't know I suppose.

Midfield is my concern. It is truly awful.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Simply because we're replacing experience with unknown quantities in the most part.

No matter what way you look at it, the midfield without Gana, is a lot weaker even with tshibola for example.

Defence seems a little more stable with Elphick but it did when we first signed richards and lescott.

Attack is as you were.

And gk is, well, we just don't know I suppose.

Midfield is my concern. It is truly awful.

Is this the experience of being utterly woefull and getting relegated ?

Give me in-experience over that any day. 

I'd also like to add that we clearly are not the finished article so it might be worth reserving judgement untill the window shuts.

Edited by dounavilla

We have a weaker spine in midfield

Still the jokers Cissokho and Hutton at fullback who love to overlap but can't cross we need Amavi back asap

No out and out striker that can score goals, Ayew is more a second striker and can't be expected to do it all on his own

No wide players to utilize Gestede or Kozak 

Looks to me like were going to have the same shit different week scenario this season again concede plenty and not score enough

As it stands we won't score enough goals to get out of this division and i'm really not convinced on basing our CM partnership around such an injury prone inexperienced combination

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

Strangely I think selling Gana could work in our favour - may force our hand to really commit to buying someone who will make a big difference in the centre of the park in the Championship. Add a striker (with bullets...) and suddenly things look a lot more rosy.

Will reserve judgement on our changes of promotion until the end of August.

Â