Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Midfield still looks rubbish to me.

Who of Gana, Westwood, Veretout, Bacuna is getting 10 + goals this season?

Hopefully a couple of them will clear off before end of August but we need a midfielder who can chip in and I don't see it.

Same old problems as last season, whenever a team plays quick 1-2s they get through our midfield so easily and are on our defence.

Won't be as much of a problem in the championship as in the prem but you still have decent teams like Derby and Newcastle who'll expose this.

With Tshibola being an unknown quantity we really need to get in an experienced CM imo who can show leadership and get a goal or two.

Yup, 

Bit like baking a shit cake last year and using the same ingredients this year.  All good and well changing the chef but you also need to change the ingredients. 

Same tools, same materials, same mindset, same approach, same mentality, same **** horse just a different jockey = same end product! 

If you do what you always do, You'll get what you've always got!

22 hours ago, AshVilla said:

No chance,

We do not carry enough threat all we have is Ayew nullify him and we struggle to score

I wouldn't blame him if he wanted out it must be annoying having to carry the team on his shoulders every game he will be burnt out by christmas

Where are the threats from the wide positions? our fullbacks can only attack or defend but not both from CM we look the usual negative villa with nobody bursting forward into the area to provide a goal threat

Unless were going to do a leicester and win 10 - 20 games 1 - 0 we have no chance of getting promoted when was the last time we hammered a team in a competitive match by more than two goals? 

While I'm not dismissing your claim.....I still think our main problems lie further back.

you can have a good winger and striker, but if they have to keep scurrying back to get the ball their efforts will be nullified.

You have to build from the back and I am yet to be convinced we are doing that.

Tim Sherwood said we have too many " icing on the cake" players.....He was/ is right, i don' see much change there at present......I accept its a gradual process,I just hope we are heading in the right direction.

accepting in advance that we will be heading in the right direction.....I forecast 2/3 years in this division.

Edited by TRO

I for one am really concerned about this season. I think people predicting a promotion are fantasizing at best. 

During pre- season we have looked EXACTLY the same as last season. Same weak midfield, opening up time and time again like a hookers legs. 

Anyone with half a brain cell will conclude that we NEED an experienced midfielder. Whilst he is a c*** and already moved, someone like Joey Barton would be perfect..... Instead, we have signed an unknown, untried, injury prone youngster. I really hope RDM and Tony sort this out before the start of the season.

Time and time again players like Sanchez and Gana were highlighted to be "not trying" and running back. If they didn't bother against the likes of Man u, Arsenal etc, then god knows how back they will be against the likes of Sheffield Weds.

Up front, we have Gestede, who is masterful at heading the ball (capable of scoring 20 this season), yet we have 2 wide players (Grealish and Adama) who don't cross the ball. So for crosses we will be relying on Amavi and Hutton. The issue is with a midfield who can't be bothered to track back / cover - they are exposing the team by going forward. 

Whilst there is talent in the team, it is a convoluted mess. To sort it out we need 1/2 new midfielders and a winger who will actually cross the ball, or a striker who will run in behind.

• Like 1

We were the worst team in the Premier League last year by some considerable distance, I'm not seeing much to suggest we've improved/improving enough to be troubling the top 6 of the Championship.

The behaviours we're seeing from the leaders don't currently look like we're on the brink of some real quality players that will make us a force.

Few weeks to go, not currently feeling it though.

I am remaining in the cautiously optimistic category for now. I think we should be aiming for promotion, there is no harm in doing that. I think with a few additions in the right places we could improve no end, as sometimes just 1-2 key players can spark the others in the team into life. I think if we can get ourselves a decent goalscorer who offers good movement up front and a couple of others (maybe a better RB) it will make a big difference to the team.

Not too worried about the players we get, I am more concerned about the style of play. Drastically, urgently, needs to change. From what I hear of the Nantes game fills me a bit with worry.

Ask me on August 31st. Then again in October.

It would be great to get off to a flying start, however I appreciate the monumental task faced by the manager. If the squad he chooses to attack this season with isn't completed until a few weeks after the season begins then so be it, it's both understandable and acceptable to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Looking at it right now, and given that it's a 46 (or 49...) game season not a 38 game one, how many more players do people think we need in order to be in decent shape going into the season i.e. game 1 with the window still open?  I think another striker and a centre mid would be fine to start the season with, and even at that, I think someone like Gestede alongside Ayew wouldn't be the worst as long as the other striker came in soon afterwards.

For me and just to answer your question and not comment too much on window to date,  chances or promotion etc.

Striker

Midfield (both in an attacking sense and in terms of width)

Defender - I am not happy with our options there to be honest as I dont think any of Lescott , Richards, Clark or Baker are good enough to be starters regularly

Just now, Richard said:

Striker

Midfield (both in an attacking sense and in terms of width)

Defender - I am not happy with our options there to be honest as I dont think any of Lescott , Richards, Clark or Baker are good enough to be starters regularly

Yep that's fair enough, although as it was only really for game 1 then possibly a defence of Amavi, Okore/Baker, Elphick, Hutton will do for just the opener, as opposed to starting regularly.  In the broader discussion of the remaining transfer window, I'd still be a little surprised to see another CB coming in, as I think Elphick + one of the others (for me Baker or Okore) will be what we go with.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Player wise I'm not sure we're any stronger as it stands.

Right now we're relying on some phonomenal change in attitude.

Well Gollini, Tsh, Elphick are all upgrades, but we need the same again up front if we are to believe the first 11 is gonna start the season properly refreshed.

12 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Player wise I'm not sure we're any stronger as it stands.

Right now we're relying on some phonomenal change in attitude.

This is not easily achieved if you recall the optimism we started last season in.

Â