Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Possibly too early but the only target now is promotion. Everything that happens from here on in will influence where we finish next season. There is change afoot at every level of the club and while we do not yet know what chance we have because we don't know who will own us, who will manage us or who will play for us, in the absence of that complete picture, for those of us who want to look forward positively and wipe what has just happened these last 10 months from our minds, and focus on promotion, this thread is for you. Cue instant lock and deletion!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Way to early for a thread like this,we need to finish this season and wait for fixtures/takeover/manager before we even contemplate a thread of this nature!

Indeed... We may still need another relegation thread :-(

Hopefully we need this one though :-)

Too many things need changing at the club it is a complete overhaul required which means, imo, regardless of who what where when the fact that it is everything means promotion next season is highly unlikely 

• Like 2

If we start next season in our current situation, with a reluctant/absent owner and a mish-mash of professionals and mercenaries then I cannot see us troubling the top third of the table but do not think we'd drop like a stone to League 1 either.

There are too many variables that need addressing at the club, the ownership, the management and the squad - all equally important in our push to return to the Prem.

The club has one aim next season and that is promotion - but to achieve that, the club has to commit to changing the appalling culture within it from top to bottom.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Too many things need changing at the club it is a complete overhaul required which means, imo, regardless of who what where when the fact that it is everything means promotion next season is highly unlikely 

Exactly, we are going into an incredibly tough division and will probably have a squad turnover of 15 players out, plus a new manager needs time to get a new team in.

i wouldn't expect a top half finish right now

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Anything other than automatic promotion will be unforgivable for all involved.

What so we should refuse to play the play off final? West Ham only went via play offs in 2012 when they should've got top 2 with their eyes closed, haven't done too badly since.

Like others, too early to tell. I'll come back to this thread in first week of August as then we'll know who the manager and likely squad is. 

• Like 1

Entirely dependant on what happens this summer.

We COULD have a very good season. We COULD also completely balls it up.

At the moment I think most of us fear the latter more than it's actually likely. But we'll see.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Entirely dependant on what happens this summer.

We COULD have a very good season. We COULD also completely balls it up.

At the moment I think most of us fear the latter more than it's actually likely. But we'll see.

So you're saying it's 50/50 on whether we get promoted or not?

• Like 3

Guest av1
42 minutes ago, Richard said:

This. To go from the utter shambles we are, to something that resembles a football club in 3 months is a huge ask. I can't see anything other than struggle again at this point. 

A lot depends on any potential takeover, we will not gain promotion while Randy Lerner is still our "Custodian"

The players we have at the moment on form are good enough to challenge for promotion. Problem is who will play 110% for us an who will stay.

One thing's for sure, if we do drop below half way next season or even bottom 3 (although can't see us ever being relegated again) I would be much more disappointed than being relegated this season and hold the players 100% responsible. Toxic, they would have seen nothing yet.

In reality, if we get the team an manager sorted, we should be looking hover around the top 6 all season, if not higher.

have you lot seen the Championship? It's not great. Even if things drag on a bit in the summer, I'd still expect us to have a squad capable of targeting the play-offs at least. 

Still hard to get out of there, but to not go into the season targeting promotion, even with all the insecurities going on is a little pessimistic. But let's see, if we lose every good player and still have Lescott and Gabby here as starting players I'll join in with the doomsmongers. 

As it is after such a depressing sequence of negativity for months / years, I will cling to absolutely any shred that makes me thing the future will be better. Until those shreds are eviscerated, I'll remain hopeful... for now.

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

have you lot seen the Championship? It's not great. Even if things drag on a bit in the summer, I'd still expect us to have a squad capable of targeting the play-offs at least. 

Still hard to get out of there, but to not go into the season targeting promotion, even with all the insecurities going on is a little pessimistic. But let's see, if we lose every good player and still have Lescott and Gabby here as starting players I'll join in with the doomsmongers. 

As it is after such a depressing sequence of negativity for months / years, I will cling to absolutely any shred that makes me thing the future will be better. Until those shreds are eviscerated, I'll remain hopeful... for now.

I agree with this. The Championship is hard, but only because players and teams graft. The quality is not really there as it is in the Premiership

Â