Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

And we can cross that bridge when it comes. I certainly hope the club aren't waiting on Premier League quality players coming in. We might be waiting a long, long time.

I don't think so.

We have the makings of a premier league squad now with a few gaps.

With the right manager and the right signings I'd be confident of promotion and premier league survival when we got there.

6 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

With the right manager and the right signings I'd be confident of promotion and premier league survival when we got there.

:lol: obviously.

I still see us way off the pace for the top end of the Championship unless we get a flurry of really good players during August.

I doubt Xia will let us flirt with another relegation. He's passed the fit and proper, he's already signed three new players, and he says more are coming. Have faith, at least until he gives you a good reason to to lack it.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Can't see it at the moment. Need more quality all over the pitch.

I agree, and I think its fine to say that without being called a traitor or negative. Its just calling it at this point in time.

We started from a position of being diabolical and one of the worst teams in the premier league EVER. We've had a few ins and outs, the delta of which I do not see much of an other all improvement... yet. 1 Month to go.

4 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I don't think so.

We have the makings of a premier league squad now with a few gaps.

"A few" I can't agree with. 

The idea of this, the worst, most useless, Aston Villa side in at least 30 years, with possibly the worst attitude in English football, getting promoted this season is absolutely ridiculous.

Not a chance in hell of a top 6 finish as things stand.  Bottom 6 is now far, far more likely than top 2. No hope whatsoever of things improving at VP any time soon and I'm so disappointed we seem to have got another poor owner when clubs not too far from us have manged to find rich ones. (In football terms anyway)

Edited by One For The Road

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I doubt Xia will let us flirt with another relegation. He's passed the fit and proper, he's already signed three new players, and he says more are coming. Have faith, at least until he gives you a good reason to to lack it.

It's hard to get excited about any of the signings so far though

I can't see us pushing for promotion this season.

We need to be realistic and not repeat mistakes of the past. We don't want to attract decent players if we have to pay silly money. Nor do we want to bring in 30+ age players thinking only of the short term.

I'll be happy if we get rid of 2 or 3 of deadwood in the coming weeks and sign a striker. In an ideal world we'd get rid of Richards, Lescott, Flabby, and a half a dozen others. But that's just not going to happen. 

Our probable first team is relatively young and of reasonable quality for a lower quality league. Some of the deadwood will still be with us and will have to play a part. 

I intend to enjoy this season. We will not be a laughing stock and we will win games. I will also give the entirely new owner/management team a season to turn around YEARS of poor judgement and bad signings.

So far they have done an OK job. OK not brilliant. But I'm happy with OK for this season.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

The idea of this, the worst, most useless, Aston Villa side in at least 30 years, with possibly the worst attitude in English football, getting promoted this season is absolutely ridiculous.

Not a chance in hell of a top 6 finish as things stand.  Bottom 6 is now far, far more likely than top 2. No hope whatsoever of things improving at VP any time soon and I'm so disappointed we seem to have got another poor owner when clubs not too far from us have manged to find rich ones. (In football terms anyway)

Which is why we need to do more to shift players and sign more quality. Let's not forget that Xia came in promising success and money to spend so let's hope he keeps his promises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I can't see us pushing for promotion this season.

We need to be realistic and not repeat mistakes of the past. We don't want to attract decent players if we have to pay silly money. Nor do we want to bring in 30+ age players thinking only of the short term.

I'll be happy if we get rid of 2 or 3 of deadwood in the coming weeks and sign a striker. In an ideal world we'd get rid of Richards, Lescott, Flabby, and a half a dozen others. But that's just not going to happen. 

Our probable first team is relatively young and of reasonable quality for a lower quality league. Some of the deadwood will still be with us and will have to play a part. 

I intend to enjoy this season. We will not be a laughing stock and we will win games. I will also give the entirely new owner/management team a season to turn around YEARS of poor judgement and bad signings.

So far they have done an OK job. OK not brilliant. But I'm happy with OK for this season.  

OK job is a stretch, the job is incomplete so will pass full judgement at the end of the window, so far we haven't done enough in terms of recruitment, that's for sure.. and for me, an OK season isn't good enough, promotion has to be the aim of the game, anything less than that is a poor return and we'd have to at least consider the position of the manager.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

promotion has to be the aim of the game, anything less than that is a poor return and we'd have to at least consider the position of the manager.

That's repeating another mistakes of the past.  If we sack this manager we aren't going to attract anyone better. We'd also need to pay him off and several members of his staff. 

We need to rebuild. But we also need to rebuild by making good choices at every stage rather than throwing money at it.

I think we need to accept that staying in the Championship for two seasons is a real possibility.

I genuinely cannot see us troubling the top 2 because we lack grit, togetherness mixed with quality.

Look at the past teams that have been promoted in the past, they all have similar qualities, this current squad resembles a QPR or Fulham, not a Leicester or Burnley that got promoted.  

We were always going to have difficulties shipping away these players and building a team for promotion in a short space of time.  

This current regime will get my support especially due to the fact that the season has NOT EVEN STARTED!

Aston Villa Football Club need to reinvent themselves, create an identity and have some stability, this all would not have happened in pre-season..

I was just on the Guardian football page and saw the Premier League season preview and next to it was a picture of a few players in claret and blue.  I had all but clicked on it when I realised it was Burnley.  Sodding Burnley.  A whole division above us.  There is a glitch in the matrix, can someone please turn up with the red pill so I can get into the real world.

At least Lambert gives us a chance, if that is any consolation.

Lambert, speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live's Monday Night Football Club (1/8) at 7pm, said he views Villa as strong promotion contenders and cannot look past the three sides relegated from the Premier League last season.

He said: "I don't think they'll be far off. Newcastle have the best chance, Norwich close, Villa will be in there.

"The three teams relegated will be hard pushed not to go back up.

Edited by blandy
extract added

On 8/1/2016 at 05:35, Xela said:

Written off after zero games. Its a new VT record!

That Champions League win means nothing Mr Di Matteo as I don't like your face. 

I don't agree with aspects of this article especially the notion that our personalities are set and not much can be changed but I thought you might find this interesting.

"Examining the 2010 World Cup, Keith Welker at the University of Boulder, Colorado, recently showed that the ratio of the width and height of the footballers’ faces predicted both the number of fouls among midfielders, and the number of goals scored by the forwards. "

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150312-what-the-face-betrays-about-you

Edited by Michael118

Â