Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

I've got to be honest, this thread needs to be deleted.  I am massively concerned with the state of the squad right now.  We were relegated with 17 points last season!  With pretty much this squad - Gueye probably gone, who was one of our better performers.  I have a horrible feeling without serious investment this squad could be in a relegation battle again.

its not been a good start from Xia I don't think.  He needed to make a statement, get some bodies in for pre season for RDM to work with.  Pleased with the signings generally, however these will not be the difference on their own to getting promotion.  This is not the season to be taking chances atmlooks like a very big gamble from Xia at this stage in the window.  Admittedly at this stage it could all change, but he's going to need to get a move on.

I hope to god My assessment is wrong.

To note, I was very wrong last season, I was quite optimistic after FA semi final and new signings, meanwhile I predicted after LCFC appointed Ranieri that they would be relegated.  

Yeah my optimism bubble has well and truly burst now. Reminds me when we first got Randy.. and i thought we can compete.. then all these other clubs started getting take overs and made Randy look chump. Same with Xia. Everton Wolves etc all getting take overs who have way more financial power. Whats the point anymore. 

Regarding promotion.. Newcastle and Norwich are alot stronger.. especially if Norwich get McCormack. Wolves will be up there with their big spending on actual decent players. Sheff Wed Brighton and Derby rounding the top 6. We will be fighting Leeds and Nottingham in midtable.. arguing which side has the biggest history and comparing trophies from the past.

I need a lie down. 

• Like 3

Bloody hell, people need to calm down a bit I think.

We've got the right noises coming out of the club, made some decent signings with more to come (actual quotes from Xia stating as much) and we haven't lost a single pre-season game yet. I know they haven't been against Barcelona or Real Madrid but you can only beat what's in front of you.

The Championship is an abysmal league 97% of the time. If we are not at least tucked up safely in the play offs I will be livid. It is a league where a team cobbled together with journeymen pros and aging donkeys can out together a play off push.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Bloody hell, people need to calm down a bit I think.

We've got the right noises coming out of the club, made some decent signings with more to come (actual quotes from Xia stating as much) and we haven't lost a single pre-season game yet. I know they haven't been against Barcelona or Real Madrid but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Noises from the club don't win games! This squad is still shit we will struggle unless Tony stops making noises and gets the cash out to support RDM. 

8 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm still optimistic for the season ahead. Just sign a striker please. 

I'm really not / we still have the squad from last season albeit a couple of new signings. Chairman saying the right things will not change the team on the field. 

The season ahead will be one of adjustment foe villa and a massive shock to the system we all ( I believe ) still don't appreciate. I believe we will be around upper mid table team given the current status of the squad and investment. Hope I'm wrong but RDM has how work cut out!

15 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Noises from the club don't win games! This squad is still shit we will struggle unless Tony stops making noises and gets the cash out to support RDM. 

Just like to point out that we've won four games out of five since Xia was appointed and already spent £12m which is the 2nd most in the entire division. Just sayin'.

• Like 2

Clubs in a better state than us IMO obviously

Newcastle

Norwich

Derby

Sheffield Wednesday

Brighton

Clubs potentially to get better than us

Wolves

Ipswich

• Like 2

sadly agree with Richard. like everything the club has been **** up again. we were relegated last Christmas and had greatest advantage any team relegated ever had and we blew it. Lerner should have sought the sale of the club then and gave new manager and ownership 4 or 5 months bedding in and preparation

now we are 10 days from start of season and have a bunch of pricks in the squad to go with some promising youngsters and a very unbalanced squad. RDM made potential good signings but nowhere near enough. Only positive is some poor teams in Championship that we wont get dragged into relegation battle

• Like 2

Hopefully playing for an owner apwho actually wants to be here and has enthusiasm trickling down rather than absolute rot will mean that the shit players we have will at least not be completely uninterested and lazy at the same time, might be blind optimism but I refuse to believe that they will be as bad as they were under lerners regime

then add in RDM, 2/3 youth players stepping up, the 3 signings we've already made, hopefully another couple...no need to panic yet

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The Championship is an abysmal league 97% of the time. If we are not at least tucked up safely in the play offs I will be livid. It is a league where a team cobbled together with journeymen pros and aging donkeys can out together a play off push.

Unfortunately the team we saw on the field last season was abysmal 97% of the time and i certainly dont see them pushing for a play off place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zapbranny said:

I've got to be honest, this thread needs to be deleted.  I am massively concerned with the state of the squad right now.  We were relegated with 17 points last season!  With pretty much this squad - Gueye probably gone, who was one of our better performers.  I have a horrible feeling without serious investment this squad could be in a relegation battle again.

its not been a good start from Xia I don't think.  He needed to make a statement, get some bodies in for pre season for RDM to work with.  Pleased with the signings generally, however these will not be the difference on their own to getting promotion.  This is not the season to be taking chances atmlooks like a very big gamble from Xia at this stage in the window.  Admittedly at this stage it could all change, but he's going to need to get a move on.

I hope to god My assessment is wrong.

To note, I was very wrong last season, I was quite optimistic after FA semi final and new signings, meanwhile I predicted after LCFC appointed Ranieri that they would be relegated.  

Because in your opinion we have little chance of promotion? That's hardly grounds for thread deletion.

• Like 1

Wow, so much negativity. People really need to get a grip! The team that starts the season will be very different from the one that finished last season. A lot has changed, just because we have not spent £100m does not mean that things are not moving in the right direction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Wow, so much negativity. People really need to get a grip! The team that starts the season will be very different from the one that finished last season. A lot has changed, just because we have not spent £100m does not mean that things are not moving in the right direction.

I agree. We all just need to chill a bit and give them time.  They know what they need to do and clearly have a plan - implementing will take time, mainly because we are relying on the cooperation of others to do deals.  Ideally we would have had everything done before the season kicks-off, but that was probably never going to happen.  As long as we get a quality striker in and few quality reinforcements before the window shuts I will be happy.  Even with the squad as a it stands, I see no reason why we can't beat Sheffield, Rotherham and Huddersfield.  Even if we win a couple and get our new players we will be in decent shape.

17 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Not enough has changed to get promotion. The squad.. we have three new players and all the awful ones are still here. Except Guzan. Gueye practically gone and new articles today stating Ayew wants to leave. Yes we have time. No doubt about that.. but how long will it take for them to gel? Kick off is just over a week away. It will take time if we have to bed in 3-4 new players. 

Lets wait a bit before we write-off promotion - you never know we might win a few.  We just have to accept that we will be bringing in a few after the season starts - hopefully they slot in quite quickly and come September we'll be firing on full cylinders.   I stand by what I said, even with our squad as is I think we could still beat Sheffield, Rotherham and Huddersfield.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Hopefully playing for an owner apwho actually wants to be here and has enthusiasm trickling down rather than absolute rot will mean that the shit players we have will at least not be completely uninterested and lazy at the same time, might be blind optimism but I refuse to believe that they will be as bad as they were under lerners regime

then add in RDM, 2/3 youth players stepping up, the 3 signings we've already made, hopefully another couple...no need to panic yet

The first point you make is excellent, and already forgotten by me. An owner who cares hopefully gives some of these players a new spine.

Â