Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Having a succession of terrible managers with terrible players relegated us the formation was as important as the arrangement of the deckchairs on the Titanic.

I said it helped us get relegated, it played it's role. But go on, what about the Titanic?

21 hours ago, Ginko said:

Time will tell whether RDM is, why even bother talking about Pearson? He's not our manager.

I mentioned Pearson because Zatman raised him as a better alternative 4 posts before mine.

So let's blame a manager who has been at the club a matter of weeks who has inherited the worst squad we've had in decades rather than a number of underperforming clowns, some of whom have shown a severe lack of professionalism and a bad attitude. Okay then.

When we get a manager who has the ability to bring out the best in players and these players are still performing poorly then I’ll blame the players. I see enough quality in most of our players. I see another manager who lacks the ability to get them firing.

You're not wrong, but the window is still open and our owner has tweeted that we're looking to strengthen so I'm not sure what more you want at this stage. We can't just get rid of players at the drop of a hat and likewise we can't just keep signing players when our squad is already too big. We're not going to earn anywhere near as much money in the Championship so this carefree approach to transfers would get us in the same sort of trouble we found ourselves in after MON left. It's unsustainable. We have to be smart about this.

Our owner wants a creative player but less than a week ago we loaned out Gil.

We’ve lost Gana and it’s unlikely we’ll be replacing him with anyone near his quality.

We’ve released Donacien who was a player of the future.

We are still relying on Gestede and Ayew as our main goalscoring threat which was a major reason we were relegated.

We haven’t addressed any of our weaknesses from last season and are weaker in the areas we had some strength in.

Gana had a release clause which was neither RDM or Tony's fault. What's your point?

I'd like to have kept Gil but like Gana he didn't want to be here. I'd rather have players giving their all to the cause, wouldn't you? Elphick is not a level below Clark and Okore and has a much better attitude. He's played pretty well in pre-season if you've watched the games and he is experienced in this league. He's also been here a couple of months so it's too early to write him off even if he had played crap, which he hasn't.

My point was we are losing our best players in key positions and it’s unlikely we will be replacing them with anywhere near the same quality. 

I haven’t read anywhere that Gil didn’t want to be here.

Elphick is a level below Okore and Clark. If we wanted to bring in a player with a good attitude and leadership ability it could have been done in a position we needed it more and wouldn't have compromised us like CM.

Jesus wept. I pray we don't sign him. He's not very good. 

I couldn’t disagree more.

I rate him on the same level as Gil and Traore in terms of natural ability for his position and where he can take his career. It would be a major coup for us if we could sign him. 

Well we're not done in the transfer market so don't fret just yet. Competition will be much poorer and we certainly won't be as bad as the majority of them. We're not in the Premier League so I don't know what point you're making. Let's get out of the Championship and then strengthen into a competitive PL side, shall we?

Hoping we “won’t be as bad as the majority of them” is a good way to ensure we will be.

I'm not familiar with the championship so I'm comparing our current squad to last season's and others which have survived relegation as the benchmark. We have the makings of a premier league quality squad now and it's certainly possible to build one from a lower division. It looks like that's what they are trying to do which is encouraging. Considering how much weaker we are in key areas already though and with a manager who fills me with no confidence I am starting to doubt if promotion (which is possible and what we should be aiming for) can be achieved.

Edited by Michael118

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I see our friend Holloway has predicted we will finish 17th.

That's about where I think we'll finish. Somewhere in the bottom half, based on the current squad.

• Like 1

We could probably field two sides capable of mounting a promotion challenge. I'd be surprised if we finished outside the top six, and presumably there's going to be more signings, which will hopefully make us stronger challengers for an automatic place.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

We could probably field two sides capable of mounting a promotion challenge. I'd be surprised if we finished outside the top six, and presumably there's going to be more signings, which will hopefully make us stronger challengers for an automatic place.

Yes but blandly and I were commenting on the squad as it currently is which just isn't good enough or I suspect mentally strong enough.

24 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As do I sadly, I just hope some big changes occur before the end of the window.

If they dont the fans will turn on Xia. Three poxy players after the crappy season we have had would be a disgrace, 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

We are still relying on Gestede and Ayew as our main goalscoring threat which was a major reason we were relegated.

You mean a player that a year ago was one of the top scorers in the division we're in, and another that was our top scorer (in a team with no creativity) this season?

I see Holloway thinks we will be lucky to finish 16th!  Lucky he is a clearing in the woods!  Has Leeds in the top 6 and Blues top 10.  If he is right there will be murder!

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That's about where I think we'll finish. Somewhere in the bottom half, based on the current squad.

I think this squad could finish around mid table. Look at Birmingham last year. There are a lot of poor teams in that league. 

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

You mean a player that a year ago was one of the top scorers in the division we're in, and another that was our top scorer (in a team with no creativity) this season?

Gestede isn't a premier league quality striker and Ayew is more of a wide forward than a striker.

Playing in a team with no creativity probably suited Ayew. He isn't all that creative and isn't a great link up player. He has a strong work ethic though, a never say die attitude and the ability to take the game on himself if he desires.

Not really a player I would be building around but we all see the game differently.

58 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I see Holloway thinks we will be lucky to finish 16th!  Lucky he is a clearing in the woods!  Has Leeds in the top 6 and Blues top 10.  If he is right there will be murder!

I think Holloway is right regarding his assessment, we still have a bollocks defence, we still have a bollocks midfield, and we still have a bollocks attack. Other than that we are in terrific shape!

• Like 4

Just now, Michael118 said:

But we are aiming to be.

And we can cross that bridge when it comes. I certainly hope the club aren't waiting on Premier League quality players coming in. We might be waiting a long, long time.

Â