Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

11 hours ago, rubberman said:

Top 6 is still easily doable. I still wouldn't fancy our chances much in the playoffs because, well, Villa.  But as evidenced in the predictions thread - pretty much anything can happen week to week in this division

we would probably need to win 25 of our next 36 to get playoffs.

we have won about 25 games since 2011

18 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not saying it is perfect not even close and it does lack balance but it doesn't need to be anything like close to perfect as compared to what else I have seen in this division I think what we have here is well ahead of most.

Play as we did against Forest, much of the game against Huddersfield, first half against Derby, last 30 mins against Newcastle, then most teams wouldn't be able to live with us. That however requires us to play on the front foot, getting the ball forward quickly and playing at pace. Oh and to be more clinical, and in fairness a little luckier, in front of goal. The trouble has come for us when we have either set up negatively, started slowly and played games on the back foot or late in games when we have started sitting deep and invited teams onto us.

We play to our strengths then we will be fine and as I said we will piss top 6. Of course the longer we go without a win then it will become physiological and overcoming that hurdle may costs us.

I hope the penny drops quickly with the manager as to how we need to play and that attacking isn't just about picking attacking players but actually instructing them to play on the front foot and really get at teams right from the get go. Just as we have when we have looked at our best this season. 

If this manager can't start getting it right then he will have to go as he has acknowledged himself this squad should finish top 6 and if, as now, that doesn't look like happening then that is at his door.

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

In addition, my concern is like a boxer who throws oodles of punches and takes the fight to the opponent.....He will inevitably need a breather, thats when he has to demonstrate his defensive skills and keep the opponent at bay, before he come back again.

We can't do that.....we just concede.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

In addition, my concern is like a boxer who throws oodles of punches and takes the fight to the opponent.....He will inevitably need a breather, thats when he has to demonstrate his defensive skills and keep the opponent at bay, before he come back again.

We can't do that.....we just concede.

Our defensive record is actually pretty good, we've only conceded ten goals which is the same as Newcastle. The timing of the goals we concede make it look worse but our real problem is an inability to score, only four teams have managed fewer goals than we have this season.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Our defensive record is actually pretty good, we've only conceded ten goals which is the same as Newcastle. The timing of the goals we concede make it look worse but our real problem is an inability to score, only four teams have managed fewer goals than we have this season.  

The paradox is, on paper we have 3 players who can score 20 goals per season.

even that statistic only tells half the story.....its when you score them and how that goal has an effect on the end result is equally as important feature. 

You can't always draw on the goals for and goals against columns for your complete answers......No one can defend or attack for 90 minutes in a game.

We can't defend when we need to.....that is my point......It is the timing of those goals against which is the alarming feature, it undo's all the previous hard work.We must learn close a game down if we are to progress.

hypothetically you could score 40 goals in a season and get 40 wins.....

We are all given 38/46 points per season at the start,without scoring a goal,one at the beginning of every game.......... its just down to us if we want to throw them away.....and so far that is exactly what we have done.

This team is not functioning properly by any means, but the attack has done enough for us to be much further up the league, not ideal, but enough.

conceding goals at crucial times in the game has undoubtedly undone us and cost us crucial points.

We are not being outplayed, we are being out fought at crucial times in a game.

Statto odds on promotion either via league placing or play-off now exactly 40/1.

It is a monumental task for any manager to overcome the deficit from the first games - especially if the aim is 1st or 2nd.

But stranger things have happened - Leicester and all that jazz...

I'm pretty clueless about who could do it - my best bet might be the BSA, but he's probably not in contention yet.

26 minutes ago, AndyGray1985 said:

Statto odds on promotion either via league placing or play-off now exactly 40/1.

It is a monumental task for any manager to overcome the deficit from the first games - especially if the aim is 1st or 2nd.

But stranger things have happened - Leicester and all that jazz...

I'm pretty clueless about who could do it - my best bet might be the BSA, but he's probably not in contention yet.

Sky bet still have us 15/2

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Sky bet still have us 15/2

Most bookmakers set their odds according to the betting patterns of the punters - thus making sure to make a profit. That's why I quote statistical odds - not gambling market odds. Skunks are in general under-priced because like man.utd they have a lot of fans betting with their hearts (or the hole where their hearts were supposed to be) instead of their heads.

No team has ever been promoted with 10 points after 11 matches. Average teams are usually on is 20...............

We only seem to break negative records these days. 

3 minutes ago, KSV said:

No team has ever been promoted with 10 points after 11 matches. Average teams are usually on is 20...............

We only seem to break negative records these days. 

If that's a fact there should be some serious laying potential while there's still market depth... it defies my instincts, which makes it more scary/interesting...

We can still go up BUT the thing is that we are doing what we have been doing for the last 3/5 seasons.Advertising to other teams that we can fall over far too easily.Everyone that needed points in the Premier League wanted to play us, now anyone that wants points in the championship wants to play us as well.

Thank you Randy, you F$#@ing ar%^&*$#

• 3 weeks later...
Â