The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

The board need to come out and start to take some of the flak that Remi is having to deal with, their cowards . They should be sitting next to him at the press conferences explaining what happened with transfers and what the long term plan is for relegation.

Remi is being hung out to dry, its a real disgrace and makes it glaringly obvious what's wrong with the club, no leadership. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YLN said:

I'm annoyed by people saying that he has won one game in 13 or whatever it is. And that Sherwood won one game in, I don't know, 12. But Sherwood lost. He lost more than Remi. And the thing about losing is that it gives the opposition exactly what they want. Three points. Yeah Sherwood might say that it was always close, but really the teams we were playing against, nearly always got what they came to the game for. Whereas now, we're getting points from games too, and stopping the opposition from taking all three points. Which to my mind is a big difference compared to what Sherwood was doing. Eight game losing run. Massively different to what we have now. 

Our losing run under Sherwood was six but I think there is something in what you say and the stats would back that up. In 10 games under Sherwood we averaged 0.4 points per game under Garde it is 0.7. Defensively under Sherwood we conceded 17 in 10 at 1.7 per game under Garde it is 21 in 13 at 1.6 per game. We scored 9 goals in 10 games under Sherwood, 0.9 per game, and we have scored 9 goals in 13 under Garde 0.7 per game. As you can see the stats though are just fractions either way.

I think many would agree in terms of the return under Garde it has not even been close to the improvement we had all hope for. For me we do look slightly more solid and retain the ball better but create next to f all and are not brave enough in getting players forward and into the box so despite getting in to some decent positions we don't capitalise on them. I find it frustrating watching us in that we will have spells of 20 odd passes but never get with in 40 yards of the opposing goal and end up back in our own half. It is possession for possession sake.

I genuinely don't know if Garde will be a good manager for us. I like him as a person based on the interviews I have seen with him and the way he conducts himself. Since he has been here though, despite wishing I could dress it up another way, the points return has been crap, the improvements defensively tiny and in terms of creating chances and scoring goals we have gone backwards. I am sure he would have benefited from having a decent striker in the ranks, like Benteke, but I am also sure that Sherwood would have to. As tonyh alluded to earlier in the thread I have a feeling someone who would have played a more simple brand of football, like Moyes, could have gotten more out of this squad. That is not a criticism of the way Garde wants to play I just think if he could get next to nothing more out of the players than his predecessor did then he was the wrong man for the position we were in. Whether he is the right man going forward based on what I have seen so far, regardless of how much I like him as a person, then I would have to take a huge leap of faith to say yes with any certainty.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Our losing run under Sherwood was six but I think there is something in what you say and the stats would back that up. In 10 games under Sherwood we averaged 0.4 points per game under Garde it is 0.7. Defensively under Sherwood we conceded 17 in 10 at 1.7 per game under Garde it is 21 in 13 at 1.6 per game. We scored 9 goals in 10 games under Sherwood, 0.9 per game, and we have scored 9 goals in 13 under Garde 0.7 per game. As you can see the stats though are just fractions either way.

Comparing goals like that is nonsense. It has been done before in this thread and really doesn't make any sense. Goals can't be looked at in isolation. They just can't. The points return is a worthwhile statistic, but goals stats could stem from any sorts of results. Five 1-0 wins and a 6-0 loss is the same as six 1-0 losses and a 5-0 win, but the points difference between the two scenarios is 15 points in the former, and 3 in the latter. 

• Like 3

It's so frustrating,  for all the shite we've seen if Ayew had stayed on last night and we nicked a win we'd had gone to the Norwich game at the weekend knowing that another win against them (lost 5 or 6 in a row I think) would cut the gap to 4 points... nothing really with 13 games to go.

Ifs and buts I know but just goes to show what a bit of luck (or 1 decent signing) we could have turned things around...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YLN said:

Comparing goals like that is nonsense. It has been done before in this thread and really doesn't make any sense. Goals can't be looked at in isolation. They just can't. The points return is a worthwhile statistic, but goals stats could stem from any sorts of results. Five 1-0 wins and a 6-0 loss is the same as six 1-0 losses and a 5-0 win, but the points difference between the two scenarios is 15 points in the former, and 3 in the latter. 

I agree in the context you have put it but overall for us we don't score anywhere near enough goals and we concede way too many. We have a goal difference of minus 22 ffs and I am sure I heard last night have scored the fewest goals in all four divisions.

Tightening up very slightly defensively under Garde has yielded 1 win in 13 games because we don't score enough goals. You watch us play and it is clear to see why. One we don't have a decent forward and two we don't get enough players into the box when we do get into decent positions. Going forward for me we aren't brave enough under Garde. The only time I have seen us really go for it and quickly get the ball forward was when we went with two up top in Kozak and Gestde against Leicester for half an hour.

Has been dealt a terrible hand by the board and is nowhere near the top of the list of who deserve the most blame for our current situation.

I do hope he stays on for the first season in the Championship as I think he might still come good. Doubt he will stay thou.

The one thing I'll say thou is that imo his subs often comes too late and I don't always see the sense in some of them.

All the signals coming from Garde seem to point to him walking. He looks properly exasperated, the board seemingly doing NOTHiNG to support him. I do acknowledge however, they were prepared to pay £5m for Kalinic which is something, but he looks a lonely figure, and the sound bites are ominous. For me, he is the only thing worth keeping at the club, everyone else can leave if needs be.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

All the signals coming from Garde seem to point to him walking. He looks properly exasperated, the board seemingly doing NOTHiNG to support him. I do acknowledge however, they were prepared to pay £5m for Kalinic which is something, but he looks a lonely figure, and the sound bites are ominous. For me, he is the only thing worth keeping at the club, everyone else can leave if needs be.

I hope the fans rally behind him for the rest of the season, so that he is convinced to stay on (I suspect he would do anyway, no matter how disillusioned he feels).  The least he deserves is a pay off from Randy and co, or another team to come in for him.  Walking away would be disappointing for everyone really.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree in the context you have put it but overall for us we don't score anywhere near enough goals and we concede way too many. We have a goal difference of minus 22 ffs and I am sure I heard last night have scored the fewest goals in all four divisions.

Tightening up very slightly defensively under Garde has yielded 1 win in 13 games because we don't score enough goals. You watch us play and it is clear to see why. One we don't have a decent forward and two we don't get enough players into the box when we do get into decent positions. Going forward for me we aren't brave enough under Garde. The only time I have seen us really go for it and quickly get the ball forward was when we went with two up top in Kozak and Gestde against Leicester for half an hour.

Problem is I dont think that is tactics as we have different managers with the same problem.  Given the speed of football these days it has to be natural instinct to get into the box.  There isnt enough time to time stop, think "where should I be tactically" and then run into the box, therefore I think it is the players we have.  Our midfielders on the whole arent "get into the box at the last minute" type of players.  Our Forwards in Ayew are creators rather than in the box poachers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has turned the ship around. It took him longer than I'd hoped, but the mitigating factors are to be considered.

That and I really like the guy so, gwarn Rémi. Shove it up em.

On the Ignominy-to-Honour continuum, he has definitely nudged us a few inches in the Honour direction. 

Considering the hopelessness of the club, I'll take any positives.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

One issue with how we play is the plodding build up, yes it's good to have shape and keep possession better which undoubtedly we do under Garde. But we take so long to mount any offensive that teams find it easy to defend against us. There is never any urgency to get down the wings and put a cross in, we never try and break, no-one ever tries to get into the box or be brave enough to push the play forward. You get rare glimpses of this with Ayew, Gil or even Richards but they rarely have much support round them. Bacuna to be fair tries but his crossing and set pieces are awful.

Now counter attacking football has it's limitations, just look at the side under MON. Pure pace and attack, no plan B or possession. Although i'd take that any day over what we see now. We don't have the talent to play possession football, we are not Arsenal. We have occasional pace and width in Gil (ok so he's better centrally), Ayew, Grealish, Sinclair and even Bacuna yet we don't play to those strengths, if any of them get a cross in there is no-one anywhere near it.

You would genuinely think we have the players on paper to play a fast counter attacking style.

Gestede 

Gil

Grealish - Vertout - Gana - Ayew (or Sinclair/Bacuna/Traore)

Cissokho - Lescott - Okore - Richards

Bunn

Now we don't have all those players fit and some are out of favour or out of form, so that ship has sailed, but you wonder why we haven't tried. Maybe it's because now defensively we are solid, the players just aren't available to exploit that.

Edited by VillanousOne

A lot of papers suggesting we are looking at alternatives if remi walks. Absolutely ridiculous these morons have again put us through another period of uncertainty. 

Bet we get someone like mick McCarthy or Owen coyle :(

Given the position we were in when Remi took over - completely bereft of confidence and a defensive shambles - he's addressed those key areas through a possession based game with a more defensive focus.

That's given us a platform to build on and - with more belief, movement and fitness - one that, IMO, will see us succeed. Certainly the recent signs are promising, including our opening against Wham till we went a man down.

The only problem is that it won't succeed soon enough.

This should have happened in the Summer, with Remi able to bring in his own targets and get a look at the team and his best formation. It's been only recently he dropped our captain then put him at fullback, for example. He would have found that out in preseason/early season rather than with a dozen-odd games to go.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

A lot of papers suggesting we are looking at alternatives if remi walks. Absolutely ridiculous these morons have again put us through another period of uncertainty. 

Bet we get someone like mick McCarthy or Owen coyle :(

I cant see RG staying.He got FA support from the board this window, what will he get in the summer ?!

Â