The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the fans have to show we are behind him and not the crappy board hopefully persuade him to stay and apply pressure on those imbeciles to back him in the summer

I admire your optimism Dem, but  Lerner isn't vulnerable to any kind of pressure from below and the summer will see a fire sale, not a rebuild. 

The Club is completely screwed in my opinion, and Lerner won't want to sell us as a relegated team and chrystalise the massive financial loss that would  deliver him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

A lot of papers suggesting we are looking at alternatives if remi walks. Absolutely ridiculous these morons have again put us through another period of uncertainty. 

Bet we get someone like mick McCarthy or Owen coyle :(

MickMcCarthy, i'd take him over most of the managers we have had for the past few years.  It will be somebody with no experience of bad form. 

58 minutes ago, Awol said:

I admire your optimism Dem, but  Lerner isn't vulnerable to any kind of pressure from below and the summer will see a fire sale, not a rebuild. 

The Club is completely screwed in my opinion, and Lerner won't want to sell us as a relegated team and chrystalise the massive financial loss that would  deliver him. 

I think that's the only hope we have that he will invest to get straight back up and not sell our best players, being that If we remain down at some point if he wants to sell he'll have to take a big hit. I'm just scared he's that dumb he thinks we can cut and still go back up. And all his decisions up to know point to that. 

41 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

MickMcCarthy, i'd take him over most of the managers we have had for the past few years.  It will be somebody with no experience of bad form. 

McCarthy has just signed a new deal with Ipswich, but I agree with you I'd take him. He is a decent manager Mick, works well on a budget and would actually be a good fit for Villa.

What are people making of this petition going round, showing our support of Remi? Worth signing, or too lightweight to make any impact or even influence his decision?

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

What are people making of this petition going round, showing our support of Remi? Worth signing, or too lightweight to make any impact or even influence his decision?

Worth signing. At least it shows some support and if it gets picked up by the media, only helps to increase pressure on the top brass.

I'm not really bothered if Garde stays or goes really. If he stays then maybe he can build something in the summer I appreciate it's a shit job, if he goes in the summer then it's hardly a massive loss as he hasn't done a great deal since he arrived even though circumstances are tricky I expected a bit more if I'm honest.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree in the context you have put it but overall for us we don't score anywhere near enough goals and we concede way too many. We have a goal difference of minus 22 ffs and I am sure I heard last night have scored the fewest goals in all four divisions.

Tightening up very slightly defensively under Garde has yielded 1 win in 13 games because we don't score enough goals. You watch us play and it is clear to see why. One we don't have a decent forward and two we don't get enough players into the box when we do get into decent positions. Going forward for me we aren't brave enough under Garde. The only time I have seen us really go for it and quickly get the ball forward was when we went with two up top in Kozak and Gestde against Leicester for half an hour.

We didn't score enough goals under Sherwood - who was pretty much "let's go for it" in terms of style of play.  It's not about "being brave enough".  The simple fact is that our recruitment policy (whoever was in charge of it) has left us with a really unbalanced squad meaning we're unable to get the best out of our chief striker, Rudy Gestede.  I have no idea what the team were thinking, really.  No wingers, but a guy who is basically a heading machine.  Yeah, good one!

The biggest sign of improvement, though, comes in the amount of games we're losing.  For the first 10 games, under Sherwood, we lost 8 times.  80% of the time, we lost.  Under Garde's 13 league games, we've lost 6.  We now lose 46% of the time.  That's such a huge improvement, honestly.  There's visibly more confidence within the team, they look like they know what they're doing now.  Until Ayew's sending off, we were looking good.  Not looking like scoring much, but looking good.  A striker that fits our style of play is the main thing that's missing (and the main reason most people can't forgive the board for that January window).

To put it another way, even if Sherwood had only won 1 game (as Garde has), if we had the same loss ratio, we'd currently be 6 (maybe 7) points from safety, rather than 10 and we'd have a goal difference at least the same if not better than Newcastle and Sunderland.  Not losing is fundamental to football and, under Garde, we look less like losing.  Once that base is established, you can concentrate on winning games.

• Like 3

Signed. 594.

18 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

How many needed for it to get debated in Parliament?

If you've got the cash mate the signatures don't matter :)

I've seen enough improvement in our performances under Remi Garde and his staff so far to think that he is a decent manager. We'll never know whether a diferent manager would have got different results up to this point, but given that Sam Allardyce hasn't done a great deal better at Sunderland maybe a bad squad is sometimes just a bad squad.

If he stays until the end of the season, then good on him. I appreciate him sticking to the task. I cannot think what would motivate him to stay beyond that time though after what has transpired in this window. We were definitely a hard sell to potential recruits and we were unlucky with Kalinic but to not even bring in a loanee or two was baffling.

Â