The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm still torn on him .. I pretty much agree with everything MarkAVFC40 has written above

But a very  small part of me thinks put Moyes in charge tomorrow and we stand a fighting chance of winning 7 or 8 of the remaining fixtures  , I think he'd play more direct , with more aggression and worry teams in a way our current style doesn't  .. With Garde we just seem to be " almost " getting results and making some progress without ever actually delivering on that progress

and for life in the championship next season , again I'm not sure that the way Garde wants to play will get us out of that division 

IMO he is the right kind of manager but he is about 5 or 6 seasons to late.  We have gone through some 5hit managers in my time but Houlier,  Mcleish and the Lambert killed us long term.  A team might be able to get away with one (Eg Liverpool and Bodgers for example).  We are not big enough to make a mistake like this 3 or 4 times in a row. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

We're going to end up with a shit journey man Championship manager like Holloway or Warnock aren't we?

If the last few years are anything to go by, its likely our budget will be cut again to point we can't compete financially. Throw in the fact there will be huge pressure and expectation to gain promotion and the job almost becomes impossible. 

I think our next managerial search is going to comprise of a pool of Manager's just happy for the work. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

If the last few years are anything to go by, its likely our budget will be cut again to point we can't compete financially. Throw in the fact there will be huge pressure and expectation to gain promotion and the job almost becomes impossible. 

I think our next managerial search is going to comprise of a pool of Manager's just happy for the work. 

This really worries me as it's how I see it too.  I have an image in my head of Tony Adams holding up a Villa scarf as he takes the job and it terrifies me.  We are one bad summer away from back to back relegations and we have prepared for it by alienating the manager and painting the ground in an interesting new shade of failure, with tones of utter capitulation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, blandy said:

Good post. I agree with all of it apart from the bit I've bolded. I think I take the opposite view - I do think the squad is so poor that whoever was manager would not do any better. I think for the past few seasons we've been fighting the drop, we then lost the better players from the squad, and in particular the bloke who scored the goals that kept us up for last 2 seasons, and didn't replace them with the same/better quality. The squad does not have goals in it. Ergo it won't score, ergo it will lose a lot of games. No manager can change that.

Remi Garde is not the messiah, but he looks to have the makings of being a good manager and coach. He needs material to work with that gives him a chance of being in a "fair race". He doesn't have that.

Exactly how I see it. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Are our standards that low.  Is our hatred of the board,  as justified as that may be,  so much that it disguises a poor manager?

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

"Are we not so blinded by our hate of the board to see the French devil in our midst who cannot train a football team to pull non-existent rabbits out of the hat?!" 

I think I definitely exaggerated for effect, which is pretty standard. You're saying he's a bad manager and I'm saying that's your opinion and the way you say it makes it out as if it's a fact. You're suggesting that we hate the board so much that we can't see we have a bad manager, which is fine because it's your opinion—however, I and many other people disagree, or at least many people seem more than fine with giving him time—anyway, what you said just sounded pointless to me and I'm deflated by everything Villa. **** it though, it is just a message board. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Timing is everything and perhaps Remi has come to the villa at the wrong moment. A shame if he goes, but we move on, dare I say, go again. 

That's the Aston Villa way. Our timing is always off. Under MON we had a great team but lacked a decent striker. When we finally got a decent striker, the rest of the team stunk. It's just how we do things.

4 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Please don't try and rile me or anyone else up – I imagine we're all pretty bummed out atm. Feel free to talk about your opinions, but please don't try and blanket them up in rhetoric and pretend they're anything but subjective. 

Jeez. Thought police. If you're riled up, that's your thin skin, mate. I may not agree with Richard (and I mostly don't, almost all the time), but questioning his sincerity or motives seems below-the-belt.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

We're going to end up with a shit journey man Championship manager like Holloway or Warnock aren't we?

Probably because we are a shit journeyman championship club

I hope not! I'm a Remi fan and hope we find a way to keep him satisfied. For me, he has helped clarify and point a light upon our (few) strengths and (many) weaknesses, and he has done so with a quiet dignity. We needed someone who could do that without being a dog-and-pony show in and of themselves (Sherwood). 

Both of whom have managed to get teams promoted to the Premiership. Not saying I would want either of them, but they do have a track record of successful promotion campaigns i n the Championship, even if they are both a bit abrasive.

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Both of whom have managed to get teams promoted to the Premiership. Not saying I would want either of them, but they do have a track record of successful promotion campaigns i n the Championship, even if they are both a bit abrasive.

Their best days have long gone. It would be better going for a Warburton or Dyche if we go down.

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Yep they seem to regularly get teams promoted then get them relegated again or get sacked with the team languishing at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep they seem to regularly get teams promoted then get them relegated again or get sacked with the team languishing at the bottom.

Like I said, I'm not saying I would want either of them.  but being a bit of a prat doesn't necessarily mean someone  can't get results. Didn't Crystal Palace use Warnock to get promotion and then sack him.

I'm annoyed by people saying that he has won one game in 13 or whatever it is. And that Sherwood won one game in, I don't know, 12. But Sherwood lost. He lost more than Remi. And the thing about losing is that it gives the opposition exactly what they want. Three points. Yeah Sherwood might say that it was always close, but really the teams we were playing against, nearly always got what they came to the game for. Whereas now, we're getting points from games too, and stopping the opposition from taking all three points. Which to my mind is a big difference compared to what Sherwood was doing. Eight game losing run. Massively different to what we have now. 

So I don't think it's fair to compare the managers in terms of how many wins each have, but moreso compare how many points teams got in games against Villa under Sherwood compared to Remi. 2.5/game under Sherwood 1.85/game under Remi. 

• Like 4

As I have said all along we can only judge Garde after he is time to impact the club.

In many ways the lack of signings allows an easier assessment.  I am not expecting him to turn our pigs ear of a club into a silk purse, but I do expect improvement.

In my opinion this squad of players is underperforming and I believe that if we had a decent manager in place at the start of the season we would be marginally better off. (6-8 points)

I appreciate the difficulty in turning things around however with relegation guaranteed the pressure is off. Garde should be able to get the best out of these players. I truly hope he does.

If he can’t then maybe he is not the man to lead us back to the Premier League.

An although this had been much derided on these pages, Mick McCarthy probably is!

Â