The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, mwj said:

Anyone else bothered that he didn't commit to next season in the press conference and the question was then cut off by the Villa PR guy?

I was bothered by that! But he might just be sending the board a message - support me or I will walk, which is fair enough.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Really?

Since we're already down and Garde will very likely walk, who replaces him is right up there along with who we will keep and what signings (if any ) will we get in the summer

What are the combined chances that:

a] Garde will leave Villa

b] Neville will leave Valencia

c] Neville will want  a new managerial job this summer

d] Villa will be interested in a just-sacked Neville

e] Neville will want to take the Villa job

What, maybe 1 in 1000? It doesn't keep me awake at night, no. 

• Like 2

He is a decent and articulate man, and has done a good job working out who has fight, desire, etc ( although the other night, Richardson ?). He has definitely improved the defence, chiefly by getting the right partner for Okore, and the pretty obvious step of booting Guzan out, but it still needed doing. It's hard to blame him for our lack of cutting edge. We don't have a goalscorer, players lack confidence to make runs.

So I'm broadly favourable. But he's proven little yet, especially in respect of winning games. I'm dead against deciding now that he should be here next season, his performance needs to be assessed as anyone else.

I understand he has, almost overnight, become a sort of anti- Lerner/Board totem, and I'm as anti - Lerner as the next guy, but I'm not going to conflate the positives I've seen with my anger at Lerner and thereby give this guy a level of support or status I don't feel is merited by his results and performances.

I know we are desperate, but we can't afford to get next seasons appointment wrong.

So for me, I'll sing me support at the games, judge him as we go along, then see.

I think the petition idea is well intentioned, but a mistake, for those reasons. We can't/ don't have to go overboard with support for 1 guy just because he's not the other guy.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

He is a decent and articulate man, and has done a good job working out who has fight, desire, etc ( although the other night, Richardson ?). He has definitely improved the defence, chiefly by getting the right partner for Okore, and the pretty obvious step of booting Guzan out, but it still needed doing. It's hard to blame him for our lack of cutting edge. We don't have a goalscorer, players lack confidence to make runs.

So I'm broadly favourable. But he's proven little yet, especially in respect of winning games. I'm dead against deciding now that he should be here next season, his performance needs to be assessed as anyone else.

I understand he has, almost overnight, become a sort of anti- Lerner/Board totem, and I'm as anti - Lerner as the next guy, but I'm not going to conflate the positives I've seen with my anger at Lerner and thereby give this guy a level of support or status I don't feel is merited by his results and performances.

I know we are desperate, but we can't afford to get next seasons appointment wrong.

So for me, I'll sing me support at the games, judge him as we go along, then see.

I think the petition idea is well intentioned, but a mistake, for those reasons. We can't/ don't have to go overboard with support for 1 guy just because he's not the other guy.

I completely understand your view, but for me almost regardless of the results for the rest of this season I want him to stay and be backed in the summer for the Championship.  We have to get off the managerial hiring/firing merry-go-round and get some consistency of direction into the club - dare I say a philosophy.

If he goes, my worry will be that we get a short term, get us up manager and start yo-yoing with every new appointment changing the backroom staff and players in and out of favour.  The only people winning from that are agents.

Let's try and build something properly this time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I completely understand your view, but for me almost regardless of the results for the rest of this season I want him to stay and be backed in the summer for the Championship.  We have to get off the managerial hiring/firing merry-go-round and get some consistency of direction into the club - dare I say a philosophy.

If he goes, my worry will be that we get a short term, get us up manager and start yo-yoing with every new appointment changing the backroom staff and players in and out of favour.  The only people winning from that are agents.

Let's try and build something properly this time.

I also completely understand your view ! (Outbreak of Cordiality alert). 

When we appointed Lambert I think they tried, rightly in my view, to do just that, which is why he was given as long as he was.  From what we hear now maybe it was done in a pretty half-cock way, particularly in respect of scouting, getting a real 'all through the Club' culture, Lambos assistants etc.  Looking at it optimistically its possible to think they may've learnt and are now trying to sort that stuff out too.

Which, incidentally, is why I don't really favour getting shot of O'Reilly, Fox, etc.. ....     (although Hollis can go !).............

So, yes, we have to give that another go, and Garde seems to have a bit of intellect, cultural awareness, hardness, and general nous, to be as good a bet as any.  Lets face it, whoever else we get instantly becomes a gamble. (I include Moyes in that).

BUT, as you sort of hint at, (but for me almost regardless of the results for the rest of this season ) the results DO matter, and he is, if we are kind, only barely getting some, if we are critical, they are poor. Performances too, yes there are signs, but they are intermittent at best.

It is a tricky balancing act, stability versus ability, known v unknown, etc.  But just as we don't want to chuck everything up in the air again, we also don't want to jump right in where the evidence is not there yet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

What is the purpose of this petition?

I was going to ask, who is the petition petitioning? what's the end game of the position?

It doesn't really explain what the aim of it is at all. Asking Remi to stay in his job? Or is it just a way to say 'I like you' and other fans to say "hear hear"?

I think the Internet just stops and everyone wakes up in liquid filled pods bound  by tubes sucking away at all our core electrodes.

Is that a white rabbit.......

Can someone clean it out ?

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

So I'm broadly favourable. But he's proven little yet, especially in respect of winning games. I'm dead against deciding now that he should be here next season, his performance needs to be assessed as anyone else...

...I know we are desperate, but we can't afford to get next seasons appointment wrong.

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind?

Â