Tiago Ilori

Demitri_C

Keep on forgetting we've signed this guy....

Where do people think he'll play most games as seems pointless to me we've paid 1m loan fee if he's just going to sit on the bench all season.

Lescott-Richards will be our regular CB combo from now on you'd imagine so can only see Llori playing there with injuries or if we go to a back 5 in some games.

Have to guess he'll play a bit at RB.

I can see Ilori playing DM the same way Dier does for Spurs

He has the pace to play there and the natural defensive attributes being a CB not sure what his passing ability is like though

Hell against the big four teams we could go all McLeish and play Ilori and Sanchez at DM

Edited by AshVilla

Where do people think he'll play most games as seems pointless to me we've paid 1m loan fee if he's just going to sit on the bench all season.

Lescott-Richards will be our regular CB combo from now on you'd imagine so can only see Llori playing there with injuries or if we go to a back 5 in some games.

Exactly my thoughts in terms of where he will play.

I only disagree in regards the £1m loan fee. If Richards and Lescott are the first choice that leaves Okore and Clark as cover. Given I still think there are question marks about both those players for different reasons it is sensible to have another CB on the books. It is even more sensible, especially when you have a limited budget, to get one on loan when you are also loaning out a young CB who may prove people like me wrong.

Add to that the fact that our main cover for our two full backs aren't actually defenders and I think its a great piece of business.

• Like 2

Exactly my thoughts in terms of where he will play.

I only disagree in regards the £1m loan fee. If Richards and Lescott are the first choice that leaves Okore and Clark as cover. Given I still think there are question marks about both those players for different reasons it is sensible to have another CB on the books. It is even more sensible, especially when you have a limited budget, to get one on loan when you are also loaning out a young CB who may prove people like me wrong.

Add to that the fact that our main cover for our two full backs aren't actually defenders and I think its a great piece of business.

I think he will play at CB, I don't think Richards and Lescott will play every game and I have a feeling Okore and Clark will find themselves behind Ilori in the pecking order as they both make too many mistakes

Tim Sherwood believes Tiago Ilori could become a top-class holding midfielder for Villa - but stressed that versatility meant he was an asset in a variety of positions.

Ilori, a deadline-day season-long loan from Liverpool, has been seen in the past as a centre-half.

Sherwood accepts this notion but thinks there's much more to the Portugal international than that specific role.

He told AVTV: "Tiago is a player I have known since he's been at the academy at Sporting Lisbon. He's a player I have known for a long time.

"I wouldn't have taken him on loan if there wasn't an opportunity to buy him at the end of it. I am not interested in developing players for other clubs. I am interested in developing for ourselves.

"If he becomes what I think he can be, he's a good buy at the money we're talking about.

"He's quick and elegant. He's played in four different countries, when you include England. He's had a good rounded development.

"He's very composed on the ball and versatile.

"He can play right-back, centre-back and I see him playing holding midfield as well.

"He's a development project and someone I am very excited to work with."

Sherwood compared the 22-year-old with Liverpool's Emre Can, who has seen action in a series of different positions for the men from Anfield.

And the manager said that versatility is a help not a hindrance for a professional footballer.

He added: "I see him like an Emre Can. He's been successful playing in every position.

"A lot of people say that if you don't nail down one position, it's detrimental to your career. I don't believe that. I believe it gives you the chance to play more minutes.

"I think he could be an exceptional player. He's not there yet. But he's in the right place.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4992235,00.html

I'm quite looking forward to seeing this lad play. Do hope he moulds himself into that RB role as I feel it's a bit of a weak position for us.

Tim Sherwood believes Tiago Ilori could become a top-class holding midfielder for Villa - but stressed that versatility meant he was an asset in a variety of positions.

Ilori, a deadline-day season-long loan from Liverpool, has been seen in the past as a centre-half.

Sherwood accepts this notion but thinks there's much more to the Portugal international than that specific role.

He told AVTV: "Tiago is a player I have known since he's been at the academy at Sporting Lisbon. He's a player I have known for a long time.

"I wouldn't have taken him on loan if there wasn't an opportunity to buy him at the end of it. I am not interested in developing players for other clubs. I am interested in developing for ourselves.

"If he becomes what I think he can be, he's a good buy at the money we're talking about.

"He's quick and elegant. He's played in four different countries, when you include England. He's had a good rounded development.

"He can play right-back, centre-back and I see him playing holding midfield as well.

Sherwood compared the 22-year-old with Liverpool's Emre Can, who has seen action in a series of different positions for the men from Anfield.

And the manager said that versatility is a help not a hindrance for a professional footballer.

He added: "I see him like an Emre Can. He's been successful playing in every position.

"A lot of people say that if you don't nail down one position, it's detrimental to your career. I don't believe that. I believe it gives you the chance to play more minutes.

"I think he could be an exceptional player. He's not there yet. But he's in the right place.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing this lad play. Do hope he moulds himself into that RB role as I feel it's a bit of a weak position for us.

I don't mind Hutton at right back to be honest, I wish we wouldn't persist with Bacuna at right back as he is a liability in defence

I don't mind Hutton at right back to be honest, I wish we wouldn't persist with Bacuna at right back as he is a liability in defence

Bacuna is a liability in attack.

Bacuna is a liability in attack.

He's a liability.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is this kid still injured? Was he injured when we signed him on loan?

I don't think he was ever one that was going to come straight into the side. From what Sherwood said when he signed he was always one that would need some reserve game time under his belt.

Â