Tiago Ilori

Demitri_C

We haven't stole a gem he's still a Liverpool player

If he turns out to be half decent i'm sure he will be back there at the end of the season regardless of the option to buy clause

One of the journos has said the option to buy is down to us at the end of the season, Liverpool can't change that.

We still have to convince the player to join us

I'm sure if he plays out his skin for us that Brendan will have his tongue in his ear convincing him to stay at Liverpool and promise him more first team opportunities there 

Lets face it the CB's Liverpool have currently are pretty woeful

I'm sure if he plays out his skin for us that Brendan will have his tongue in his ear convincing him to stay at Liverpool and promise him more first team opportunities there 

I'd be surprised if Rodgers is still there to have a say one way or the other to be honest.

I'd be surprised if Rodgers is still there to have a say one way or the other to be honest.

Which would probably make him more likely to go back. 

This summer has marked the first time that Sherwood has dipped into the transfer market as a manager and his approach has been telling.

The arrivals of Jordan Amavi (21), Jordan Veretout (22), Adama Traore (19) and Jordan Ayew (23), as well as the promotion of Jack Grealish (19) to a regular role in his first-team squad, show that this is a manager who is unafraid of relying on young talent.

In one successful summer, Villa have gone from having one of the messiest, resource-sapping squads in the Premier League to one of the most attractive and well balanced.

When it became clear that Ilori was available on deadline day, and following his rejection of Sunderland, the move would have represented a win-win situation for Sherwood.

On one hand, Villa were securing the services of one of the most promising young defensive talents on the continent.

Like Adama, Amavi, Veretout and Ayew, Ilori’s potential is vast.

Utilising the centre-back’s talents within his defensive line—be that as a centre-back alongside Micah Richards or Joleon Lescott or as a right-back—Sherwood can nurture Ilori into the Premier League-level talent that he is promising to become.

If Ilori performs well throughout 2015/16, Villa can sign him for what will be a bargain price.

But on the other hand, if Ilori fails to adjust or his injury problems persist Villa have no obligation to make his move permanent.

It’s a no-risk move for Sherwood, and the Villa manager is being much savvier than his Liverpool counterpart.

Surprisingly decent write up here from a Liverpool site.

Clicky

• Like 2

That article is basically an attack on Rodgers, and is biased in that direction. If they want Ilori back at the end of his loan spell, if it is a successful loan spell, why would anyone think that he would not go back to them. It is a good move by Liverpool, as they let us develop their player, then take him back.

he's 7th in Europe's top leagues in terms of clearances, which is pretty damn good and he did make Whoscored's team of the week too, despite the error. 

What does this actually mean? I think I already know the answer and it's sweet F.A. Football's not a statistical game. It's not cricket, it's not American Football, it's not baseball. Just because the media spout stats incessantly and there's a Prozone/Stats craze at the moment doesn't make them valid. If you want to judge a player, watch him play. Don't look at his stats. 

Hidden Content

As for Ilori, wouldn't be so funny if he turned out to be brilliant and we activated his buyout clause from Liverpool to get him for a tenth of what he was actually worth. The black armbands would be out then...

If he is brilliant, he will be back with Liverpool.

That article is basically an attack on Rodgers, and is biased in that direction. If they want Ilori back at the end of his loan spell, if it is a successful loan spell, why would anyone think that he would not go back to them. It is a good move by Liverpool, as they let us develop their player, then take him back.

That's not a given, especially if he enjoys his football under Sherwood.

he's 7th in Europe's top leagues in terms of clearances, which is pretty damn good and he did make Whoscored's team of the week too, despite the error. 

What does this actually mean? I think I already know the answer and it's sweet F.A. Football's not a statistical game. It's not cricket, it's not American Football, it's not baseball. Just because the media spout stats incessantly and there's a Prozone/Stats craze at the moment doesn't make them valid. If you want to judge a player, watch him play. Don't look at his stats. 

I have a friend who is a researcher in sports analytics and what you are saying is absolutely false. Player statistics are predictive of the outcome of football matches, which is why companies like Prozone/Stats and Opta can charge a fortune for them.

• Like 1

I have a friend who is a researcher in sports analytics and what you are saying is absolutely false. Player statistics are predictive of the outcome of football matches, which is why companies like Prozone/Stats and Opta can charge a fortune for them.

Predictive ? or a guide ? 

Only ask as I want to fleece some bookies.

Statistics are important when taken into account with other things. Just saying he's 7th in terms of clearances means nothing. Just means Villa, as a team, have had to defend more. Surely a great defender in a top team won't have cleared as many?

Statistics are important when taken into account with other things. Just saying he's 7th in terms of clearances means nothing. Just means Villa, as a team, have had to defend more. Surely a great defender in a top team won't have cleared as many?

Of course it means something - it means that he's good at clearing the ball when it comes into the box.

"Surely a great defender in a top team won't have cleared as many?" - What point are you trying to make here? I honestly don't understand what that has to do with anything. You don't get negative points for clearing the ball more time than someone else, it means that you're doing your job despite the team's failings.

His interview is on AVTV for anyone with a subscription. He talked about the move to Villa (mostly Jack leading), his game, his development at Sporting Lisbon and his experiences on loan in the last few years.  Said all the usual stuff, but doesn’t know much about Villa's history and has never been to VP – so Albion and Blues should be a nice introduction for him!  He wasn’t that talkative but came across as very confident in his ability and very ambitious, which I really liked. When asked about his qualities he said he's tall, very fast and a good all-rounder in defence.  Emphasized he  really enjoys possession and playing out from the back – he’s a big fan of Sergio Ramos.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Â