Tiago Ilori

Demitri_C

To Omariqy - I'm not saying it will happen mate, hence 'if'. I hope he doesn't.

Trent - Clark, despite a pretty bad error for the goal actually played really well against Sunderland. Goes to show how costly mistakes at CB are, I suppose.

• Like 1

Clark absolutely deserves to be dropped. I don't agree that he played really well against Sunderland. It was a silly tackle that got him a yellow card which culminated in his weak attempt at tackling Lens for their goal.

Back on topic, I think It's either going to be Illori or Lescott that will jump in but i'd imagine it would more likely be the latter.

Edited by sexbelowsound

To Omariqy - I'm not saying it will happen mate, hence 'if'. I hope he doesn't.

Trent - Clark, despite a pretty bad error for the goal actually played really well against Sunderland. Goes to show how costly mistakes at CB are, I suppose.

It's a strange hypothetical to even make though.  If Sherwood starts N'Zogbia in front of Gana in the Leicester game I'll be really mad too.

I don't think it's that strange because it's certainly inside the realms of possibility. 

SBS - if you go back and watch Clark throughout the game, he really did play well. To reinforce this with some stats for this season, he's 7th in Europe's top leagues in terms of clearances, which is pretty damn good and he did make Whoscored's team of the week too, despite the error. 

I don't think it's that strange because it's certainly inside the realms of possibility. 

SBS - if you go back and watch Clark throughout the game, he really did play well. To reinforce this with some stats for this season, he's 7th in Europe's top leagues in terms of clearances, which is pretty damn good and he did make Whoscored's team of the week too, despite the error. 

For me that only goes to show that analysis of football based purely on stats is massively flawed.

• Like 2

To be fair Trent - I've watched the game twice with my eyes no needs for stats. Clark was very good against Sunderland but made a costly error which is what people remember.

I am happy Lescott has joined I think experience is essential in that position. However I do harbour the inner burning hatred for Clark that you do. I used to but he has slowly turned me round. I see a very different player these days.

To be fair Trent - I've watched the game twice with my eyes no needs for stats. Clark was very good against Sunderland but made a costly error which is what people remember.

I am happy Lescott has joined I think experience is essential in that position. However I do harbour the inner burning hatred for Clark that you do. I used to but he has slowly turned me round. I see a very different player these days.

It's actually two costly errors though. His yellow card prevented him from actually being able to make a committed attempt to stop Lens.

I put that goal down purely to the yellow because Clark's attempt to stop him was amateurish and I don't think he is actually as bad as that attempted block would have you believe.

I agree BOF I just think that Clark is far less "prone" than he was previously. I think he has improved with experience.

I think people still remember a lot of his errors which makes them uneasy about him despite him being the most consistent defender at the club over the last 8 months or so.

I think he has been a slow burner but is now maturing nicely. As I said I see Lescott as a good addition but I think if and when injuries happen and Clark is called on again he wont let anybody down.

Defenders get judged on what they do wrong.  That's why the best defenders very rarely make mistakes, or rather rarely make mistakes that result directly in goals.  It doesn't matter if you've spent 85 minutes deflecting everything that comes at you (and getting good stats in the process).  If you are prone to a howler then you make people nervous.

At the other end of the pitch it's the opposite.  Strikers get judged on what they do right.  You could be a striker who spent 85 minutes failing to hit a cow's arse with a banjo, but if you end up scoring that one goal that wins the game, then that's what YOU get judged on.

I agree to a point but I think that's a slightly simplistic way of looking at things. Some examples:

- Defender makes 2 goal line clearances but one glaring error.

- Striker scores a goal but misses 2 tap ins and the team lose 2-1. 

I'm not saying he played badly, but he makes too many mistakes and has done over a prolonged period of time. He has cost us two goals in two games.

I fully expect him to lose his place and will be very disappointed if he doesn't.

Had we signed Clark rather than him come through the club I think the criticism of him would be far far greater and more wide spread.

I really hope we try to utilize him as a RB if he can play in that position considering how fast he is. I have no idea if he is a force going forward, but playing Traore on the same wing really should make that a non-issue.

I'm not saying he played badly, but he makes too many mistakes and has done over a prolonged period of time. He has cost us two goals in two games.

I fully expect him to lose his place and will be very disappointed if he doesn't.

Had we signed Clark rather than him come through the club I think the criticism of him would be far far greater and more wide spread.

Yeah it probably would be but I think it's natural to want the players we've developed to come good and turn a blind eye now and then. Clark has received a lot of abuse over the years too though. 

Â