Rudy Gestede

midian

17 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

His record at this level is a bit patchy no? 7 goals in 52 championship games for Cardiff, 4 in 13 appearances for us? Can't necessarily deny his record at Blackburn but it's not like he's a force to be reckoned with at this level over the totality of his career.

I think when a players specific set of skills require the entire team to play a particular why it tends not to bode all too well, Gestede is just far too limited in my book.

I think it's more likely that both Cardiff and us didn't play to his strengths, whereas Blackburn did. If it was just 1 good season at Blackburn, I agree that it could be just a lucky streak, but to do it over multiple seasons suggests it's not a fluke.

Though I do agree that building a team around him doesn't make sense for us. We have many players going forward with better quality in the likes of Grealish, Ayew, Kodjia and McCormack. We'd be better off trying to put a team around those.

We would need a ready made replacement. Gestede is about about good as you can get as backup in the championship in my opinion. 

Prefer him to Gabby or any of the youngsters. But if Bruce needs to sacrifice a striker to improve the midfield then so be it. 

• Like 2

I'm amazed we're selling him now when two of our strikers are leaving for AFNC after tomorrow's game.

Can only think we're close to getting another striker in ourselves....the cup game is a write off so suppose we have got two weeks before the Wolves game but deals can always fall through at the last minute.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AJ said:

Why is Boro buying our great players? First they take our international goalie, and now they want one of our most prolific strikers? If Boro take Gestede, we lose a player that is so active in the box with great footwork, and whose work rate is second to none. Next, they will probably want Richards, our amazing centre back. I could understand because then that will guarantee them at least top half, while we lose out on having such exceptional talents on our books.

Don't forget Adama

• Like 1

Â