Rudy Gestede

midian

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We still have Russian Hepburn-Murphy, don't forget him, he might well be an option now

Gestese always gave 100% for the cause, his aerial ability is very good 

This. I imagine we will through RHM a couple extra grand a week or whatever is holding up the contract signing and make him the backup choice. We will save the money on Gestedes wages.

Gestede does give us an option but I barely remember any flick ons. He gets muscled off the ball too easily and doesn't have the accuracy. £7million? Yes please! 

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

God i love Boro!

er...is there anything else we can do for you......

Gaby?

proven PL striker

Pacey & gives his all

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? What has he actually given us over the past 4 months? 

People are desperate to be shot of Ayew despite him actually doing stuff to earn us points. What does Gestede do? He wins the odd flick on yes, but if we had a better option than Gestede then we wouldn't need to revert to lumping it. 

That £7m can be better spent on a decent centre mid, or a striker who can control a football and actually scores goals.

Yep. This is how I see it.

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We didn't even sell him. 

Don't, please......make it even more absurd.

but hey we can't look back.....because all you will see is a big mushroom looking cloud.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Very poor player, but he tries, and always comes across as a nice bloke, so good luck big man. 

I really am suprised that we managed to recoup what we paid for him. 

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? What has he actually given us over the past 4 months? 

People are desperate to be shot of Ayew despite him actually doing stuff to earn us points. What does Gestede do? He wins the odd flick on yes, but if we had a better option than Gestede then we wouldn't need to revert to lumping it. 

That £7m can be better spent on a decent centre mid, or a striker who can control a football and actually scores goals.

You are of course absolutely correct that Rudy's contribution has been minimal at best. Then again, we are seldom playing to his strengths. We didn't utilize him properly last season, nor have we thus far this season. I honestly think he gives us a much needed, different tactical alternative, considering the rest of our 'strike force'. And that is the sole reason I'd still keep him around, because with the right kind of ammunition, he'd surely score plenty. There's no denying he is as good as they come in the air, even though his general movement mostly is quite poor.

Ayew on the other hand, really is surplus to requirements. We have plenty of players who offer exactly the same, and more.

Ps. £6M move to Boro more or less confirmed. That's that then. Good luck finding a replacement for that figure.

Edited by vreitti

15 minutes ago, vreitti said:

You are of course absolutely correct that Rudy's contribution has been minimal at best. Then again, we are seldom playing to his strengths. We didn't utilize him properly last season, nor have we thus far this season. I honestly think he gives us a much needed, different tactical alternative, considering the rest of our 'strike force'. And that is the sole reason I'd still keep him around, because with the right kind of ammunition, he'd surely score plenty. There's no denying he is as good as they come in the air, even though his general movement mostly is quite poor.

Ayew on the other hand, really is surplus to requirements. We have plenty of players who offer exactly the same, and more.

Ps. £6M move to Boro more or less confirmed. That's that then. Good luck finding a replacement for that figure.

If the plan is to replace him then I am 100% sure we could get a big tall target man from another Championship team or somewhere like Denmark,  Sweden,  Scotland or whatever for £6m.

But I don't think the intention is to replace him,  we're not going to suddenly start playing up to a big man.  We will improve the midfield so we don't really need that kind of option in future. 

Edited by sidcow

19 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I do understand what you mean and largely agree.

However, I do have this underlying doubt about this comment and it is also aimed at many more players we have bought in recent times.

I have been watching Villa  oodles of years......and we never used to say this( play to his strengths) to the same extent it is said today.

• Is it not too much to ask a player to adapt to his surroundings?
  • Are they so one dimensional?
  • are they so limited that they can only do certain things?
  • should it not be a pre-requisite to use your left and right foot....as a pro footballer?
  • is running off the ball and looking for space....putting you foot in( this is general not aimed at Rudy) getting close to an opponent, being aggressive....expected to be a strength or pre-requisite?

...................Do we make too many excuses for them today?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

His first touch at times made me think he had some kind of forcefield around his feet which repelled the ball. 

Liked his attitude and effort and chant but he was never really good enough for us , perhaps it was down to our system aNd lack of supply?

One that will get a good reception on his return. 

Good luck Rudy!

• Like 1

Has never shown the ability his attributes indicate. 

He has largely been immobile when on the pitch and rarely made it into the box to offer an option for a cross or pass due to a lack of pace. 

Considering he's nowhere near a starting berth here, £6m is a terrific deal for us. 

Like the bloke but won't miss him.

Even if we never played to his one strength his general movement was for the most part so bad that he wasn't even close to the few crosses that did make it past the first defender.

If he just moved and put himself about a bit more he'd still might have been useful to us, but he didn't.

If he does this for Middles.... he might be of some use to them.

• Like 1

Â