Rudy Gestede

midian

One nice bonus for West Brom if they sign Gestede is that even if he doesn't play you can just stand him in the stadium corner with a powerful flashlight and they'd have a mobile (well barely) floodlight on a dark winters night.

£7m is a bargain really.

I think we should take £7m for him - but I'm surprised he's getting the stick that he is.  We haven't once played to his strengths during the time he's been at the club (a few Amavi crosses aside) but his attitude has always been spot on and he's still chipped in with a few goals.

Sign a player who has scored the most headers of any player in the past 2 years he played football - play zero **** width and expect him to become a hold-up, target man.  LOGICZ.

At least Pulis will know what to do with him in their team.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

we've been here before...

you arent going to cross a bloke stood still being marked by 2 defenders

if he doesnt show then people arent going to pass to him, his movement is horrendous, he's been worse than heskey, £7m is crazy money for him

You have to cross into the space for him to attack it, see; goals against Bournemouth, Liverpool and Birmingham.

He's obviously not a world class player but the limitations to him scoring more headers are much about our squad than his lack of movement.

At least £10m in this market: 

1. They are a megabucks [desperate] PL club and do want him after all

2. Its the January window (always adds a premium)

3. The world of football transfers has gone mad

Edited by thunderball

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

You have to cross into the space for him to attack it, see; goals against Bournemouth, Liverpool and Birmingham.

He's obviously not a world class player but the limitations to him scoring more headers are much about our squad than his lack of movement.

Do you know how hard a skill that is? You then still have to hope he won't be a yard behind it.

I wouldn't question his attitude per se, but I will say his mobility is dreadful and he's not the most intelligent of footballers. I can only think at this stage that his season with Blackburn was a one off, because for us he has basically been Emile Heskey without all the stuff Emile Heskey actually did well. He is certainly nowhere near Rondon's level, which is why I'm more than a bit surprised they think he can be a capable back-up. 

If it's true of course. If it is, good bye and good luck to him and them. Until then and just to be clear, I will continue to support him when he's in the shirt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

we've been here before...

you arent going to cross a bloke stood still being marked by 2 defenders

if he doesnt show then people arent going to pass to him, his movement is horrendous, he's been worse than heskey, £7m is crazy money for him

So how did he score twenty goals a season?

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you know how hard a skill that is? You then still have to hope he won't be a yard behind it.

I wouldn't question his attitude per se, but I will say his mobility is dreadful and he's not the most intelligent of footballers. I can only think at this stage that his season with Blackburn was a one off, because for us he has basically been Emile Heskey without all the stuff Emile Heskey actually did well. He is certainly nowhere near Rondon's level, which is why I'm more than a bit surprised they think he can be a capable back-up. 

I think that's pretty harsh and you're potentially misunderstanding what kind of cross is needed - it's not a pinpoint placing to a specific point.  For example:

It's a cross hit into "an area", with plenty of height on it that gives an attacker plenty of time to read the situation - which is exactly what Gestede does.  The one against Blues is more whipped, but still similar - in "an area" that the attacker can go for:

(Oddly sped up, too).

I don't want to bring him into yet another damn thread, but it's a similar notion as to why Benteke asked Westwood to hit those "floaty corners" that no-one likes.  If you have a prolific threat in the air, they often love to be able to watch and judge the cross so they can make a movement at the right time and beat their opponents in the air.

Rondon is a different type of good-in-the-air striker.  He's more mobile and more likely to want more accurate crosses as he can pull off a defender quite easily and still direct the ball on.  Gestede doesn't play like this.  Benteke didn't play like this.  In both instances, we've basically brought these players in only to (almost) completely neglect having great crossers on either flank.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

So basically unless its on a plate he's hopeless? I agree we haven't had the players to play to his strengths but I struggle to see what they are. He's massive yet I've not seen him rough up a defence. He might be a lovely bloke but on the pitch I want a bit of nastiness. I thought we'd bought a target man who'd hold it up spread it wide then hit the box and win headers. I expected towering jumps and defenders flattened in his wake. For me he hasn't the fire in his belly needed to be a good player. If we get £7m for him we've done really well!!!! 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

So how did he score twenty goals a season?

Dunno, it's not as simple as saying Blackburn crossed the ball and we didn't, he may have got lazier, he might be slower, it may just be a complete fluke, he's been shit for us, had a bad record at Cardiff, bad record at Metz, bad record at Cannes, his loan season at Blackburn he scored 1 in 16 games

20 goals in a season for Blackburn can't hide his career stats being 59 goals in 263 games, he's been a pro for 10 years and had 1 had one good one but yeah it's something we're doing wrong...

• Like 1

Â