Rudy Gestede

midian

I still think a partnership of Gestede + McCormack could tear this league apart, if we'd have proper wingers on both sides providing crosses. Impossible to know what Bruce has planned, but at the moment we are severely lacking a game plan, and Rudy isn't a starter, so it's only natural he's looking for regular first team footy elsewhere.

Edited by vreitti

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

We will be getting in another striker if that's the case. 

Doubt it.

Bruce said he had 6 strikers at the club and something along the lines of "I might need to sell one to bring in a midfielder or defender"

Edit: Here it is

"I've got six centre forwards so I've probably got to sell one to bring in another defender or midfielder."

Edited by Stevo985

As for Rudy, I think we could have used him better in our time here. If wingers like Adomah were whipping crosses in instead of cutting in and squaring it like they do so often he could have been lethal this season.

But we don't play like that very much, and I don't think he's good enough for the premier league, despite the interest from Boro. So I'm ok with him going.

I like him so good luck to him.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Given that he caused the equaliser and put Kodjia through for what should've been the winner - I'm assuming he means us.

He's scored a goal every 185 minutes for us this season, which is actually a pretty good return when msot of those minutes have been a spread thin over games. 

Is that supposed to back up the statement I baulked at and highlighted about him? Which was and still is baffling to me.

"in PL last year he is a definite supersub"

All I think he proved in the Premier League last year was that he wasn't really going to be overly successful in it. 

Great business if we can get £6.5m for him.

I find him to be a bit of a liability.  His size effects the mentality and way we play the ball to the forwards.  The issue is he can't do the standard things that a big man forward usually can.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I doubt it considering Bruce said we need to sell a striker so that we can buy a midfielder or defender.

I reckon that is just talk.  We've been heavily linked with strikers already 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Doubt it.

Bruce said he had 6 strikers at the club and something along the lines of "I might need to sell one to bring in a midfielder or defender"

Edit: Here it is

I think we have 2 centre forwards Gestede and Kozak....one is about to be sold and one is a dud.

I see Kodjia as an inside forward, like Gabby, McCormack & RHM

So I am not sure selling Gestede is a good idea.

However, I don't know what his long term plan is......so I just have to what and see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Great business if we can get £6.5m for him.

I find him to be a bit of a liability.  His size effects the mentality and way we play the ball to the forwards.  The issue is he can't do the standard things that a big man forward usually can.

Last night he was a saviour.;)

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

For every game like last night where Rudy comes on and causes chaos for defenders, there are 10-15 more where he doesn't. 

His championship record would suggest that WE are the ones who haven't played to his strengths.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

His championship record would suggest that WE are the ones who haven't played to his strengths.

His record at this level is a bit patchy no? 7 goals in 52 championship games for Cardiff, 4 in 13 appearances for us? Can't necessarily deny his record at Blackburn but it's not like he's a force to be reckoned with at this level over the totality of his career.

I think when a players specific set of skills require the entire team to play a particular why it tends not to bode all too well, Gestede is just far too limited in my book.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

BBC now catching up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38470375

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce is willing to let striker Rudy Gestede go to Middlesbrough to help fund new signings in the January transfer window.

Gestede, 28, has made just eight Championship starts for Villa this season and only three since Bruce took over in October.

"The two clubs are talking," he told BBC WM. "We'll see how that develops.

"He's not been playing as much he wants and we've got a bit of an imbalance in the squad, which isn't healthy."

Bruce added: "I've got six centre forwards and I've got to maybe sell one to buy in a midfield player or another defender."

Benin international Gestede joined Villa, then in the Premier League, from Championship club Blackburn Rovers on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee in July 2015.

Meanwhile, Villa are still hoping to have top scorer Jonathan Kodjia available for Monday's trip to Cardiff.

He has been called up for Africa Cup of Nations duty for the Ivory Coast and could be away for up to five weeks, depending on how the Ivorians progress.

The Africa Cup of Nations final is scheduled for 5 February, in Libreville, in Gabon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think we have 2 centre forwards Gestede and Kozak....one is about to be sold and one is a dud.

I see Kodjia as an inside forward, like Gabby, McCormack & RHM

So I am not sure selling Gestede is a good idea.

However, I don't know what his long term plan is......so I just have to what and see.

You'd better get on the phone to Steve then and let him know he's not got 6 centre forwards at all!

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You'd better get on the phone to Steve then and let him know he's not got 6 centre forwards at all!

thats just my take FWIW.....and I don't think he has.

Wood, Murray, Oliveria....I would call a centre forward, I don't think Gayle is, even.

maybe Steve is saying Centre Forwards, when he actually means forwards, to make it sound a more feasible and acceptable action.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

For every game like last night where Rudy comes on and causes chaos for defenders, there are 10-15 more where he doesn't. At this stage I am not sure whether that is Rudy's fault,the 4 managers we've had or a combination...but it's so frustrating.

I would accept that.....he has his shortcomings.

Â