8 hours ago, hippo said:

You have to look at the amount of managers who haven't startted Veretout 

Sherwood

Garde

Black

Di Matteo 

Shown close to zero for me - if we got £3m Id say take it PDQ

This

Sometimes one manager doesn't fancy a player for whatever reason, but 4 managers? Speaks volumes. Same could have been said about Gil

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

This

Sometimes one manager doesn't fancy a player for whatever reason, but 4 managers? Speaks volumes. Same could have been said about Gil

He found it hard to settle. Simple as that. I don't think that is a good enough reason to give up on him. Let's not forget the sort of season we had last year too, that's certainly not the sort of situation we want to dropped a player into when he is homesick.

11 hours ago, hippo said:

Sherwood

Garde

Black

Di Matteo 

He played in 25 matches last season and was out injured for a some of them as well. Just because he didn't start every match, doesn't mean the managers didn't rate him. We were losing all our matches, so line-up changes were frequent. Also, most of the matches that veretout wasn't involved in came under Black who was fielding Richardson ahead of him. 

It was pretty clear that Veretout was not working with the squad, and there were reports that a lot of our french players weren't settled. I think living here for a year, and playing with better players around him will prove he has some talent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DK82 said:

He found it hard to settle. Simple as that. I don't think that is a good enough reason to give up on him. Let's not forget the sort of season we had last year too, that's certainly not the sort of situation we want to dropped a player into when he is homesick.

Hard to settle was one thing,inability to pass to a team mate was another,not good enough at all.

I'm sure i read somewhere that he got a hip injury just before Garde left which put him out the picture for a while.

I think the whole 'he's slow and unfit' was true at the start of the season, but once he got a run of games under Garde his fitness and speed was decent enough - hes not quick but has enough to go past players, and he was doing that in that small run of games around xmas where we had a tiny glimmer of hope, for example newcastle away, west ham, palace, norwich at home etc. He was also one of the few setting up chances during that period both from open play and from his set pieces which were pretty decent.  I do think sometimes there are things on here that become permanent sticks to beat players with, even if those things are no longer actually an issue (i'm sure i'm guilty of it at times)

However, ultimately he was part of one of the worst teams ever to play in the premier league, and more importantly for this season, it doesn't seem like he wants to be here to try and put it right. No point keeping him if thats the case.

• Like 1

The sheer volume of players we have signed that multiple managers haven't fancied is staggering.  I know people rate some of last year's signings. For me Ayew is OK and jury is out on Amavi as he's hardly played but really over the last 3 years other than Benteke pretty much every signing has been a total disaster even bearing in mind the lower fees we have paid. Almost nothing has come off.  Other clubs always seem to find a cheapish diamond or 2 but ours are more like coal. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The sheer volume of players we have signed that multiple managers haven't fancied is staggering.  I know people rate some of last year's signings. For me Ayew is OK and jury is out on Amavi as he's hardly played but really over the last 3 years other than Benteke pretty much every signing has been a total disaster even bearing in mind the lower fees we have paid. Almost nothing has come off.  Other clubs always seem to find a cheapish diamond or 2 but ours are more like coal. 

I think it has had to do with the gross mismanagement, timing etc. from the top down to be honest. Over the years we have actually had some decent individuals, but the overall club has been run shockingly. Wrong decision after wrong decision, choosing duds which in turn aided to us losing our better players. We haven't actually had a "team" for a long time.

• Like 2

I agree with the above. Some Players that wernt deemed good enough for us in the past have gone on to do well. Davis, Albrighton, Collins and even Gardner spring to mind. The problem has not just been the players it's been the whole club. It's probably best Veretout leaves for both himself and the club but I'm sure he will have a decent career. 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2016 at 11:19, hippo said:

Sherwood

Garde

Black

Di Matteo 

Of Garde's matches, how many did Veretout play and how many did he miss?

He was poor last year and I get the impression he doesn't want to be here. But I think we need to try and mend this relationship. 

If we aren't bringing in at least 2 midfield players then he has to play a part. 

He's a good player. Partner him with a destroyer and he'd be good. Way better than Gardner and Westwood anyway. He can actually keep the ball in tight situations.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He was poor last year and I get the impression he doesn't want to be here. But I think we need to try and mend this relationship. 

If we aren't bringing in at least 2 midfield players then he has to play a part. 

I agree. We're so powederpuff in midfield it's utterly pathetic. Even though he wasn't the player we hoped he would be last season, he was still better than Westwood and what we've seen of Gardner so far. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Of Garde's matches, how many did Veretout play and how many did he miss?

I think he played most of them and unsurprisingly he looked better (still not that great, but better) as the games went on playing on the left side of the centre of midfield.  He then got dumped again when Black came in.  Who knows how things could be now if we had put a caretaker in charge who looked after the long-term interests of the team than that idiot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think he played most of them and unsurprisingly he looked better (still not that great, but better) as the games went on playing on the left side of the centre of midfield.  He then got dumped again when Black came in.  Who knows how things could be now if we had put a caretaker in charge who looked after the long-term interests of the team than that idiot.

'That idiot', as you correctly describe him, caused untold damage to this football club. I shall curse him until the day I die. 

AS St-Etienne interested according to Birmingham Mail. They are running quotes that the manager has spoken to him link:

St Etienne's manager Christopher Galtier has confirmed the club's interest in Jordan Veretout and it seems the bal is very much in the midfielder's court.

The Ligue 1 club’s manager spoke about the interest in a press conference ahead of the new football season in France.

He said: “Veretout? I met with him, and he knows where I stand.”

Direct quotes from Manager seems to suggest pretty far forward.

Â