Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

9 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:
13 minutes ago, Richard said:

Very disappointing if true.  Not one I'd be desperate to get shot of.  Strikes me that the ones we want to go will stay and the ones we want to stay will go

This seems rather (unsurprisingly) pessimistic. The talk today is of Guzan, Sinclair, Richards and Veretout leaving. I'd say of that lot Veretout maybe could do a job but was unimpressive at large last year anyway. 

This also ignores the fact that only Richardson and N'Zogbia have actually left so far - both of whom are clearly not up to it. So basically you're guessing and guessing at the most negative option. 

I think in Richard's defence, it makes sense that the ones we want to stay will be better and therefore more in demand, and naturally probably the better players, and vice versa.  Although I'm a little more optimistic that because of the time left, we'll do enough business that sorts out the squad.  Hopefully shifting enough of the trouble and/or dross and keeping hold of enough of the quality.  I suspect there'll be a little from column A (losing quality but not all of it) and a little from column B (retaining the shit but not all of it).  As with most transfer windows, teams never get 100% of what they want.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think in Richard's defence, it makes sense that the ones we want to stay will be better and therefore more in demand, and naturally probably the better players, and vice versa.  Although I'm a little more optimistic that because of the time left, we'll do enough business that sorts out the squad.  Hopefully shifting enough of the trouble and/or dross and keeping hold of enough of the quality.  I suspect there'll be a little from column A (losing quality but not all of it) and a little from column B (retaining the shit but not all of it).  As with most transfer windows, teams never get 100% of what they want.

I wasn't suggesting that we'd keep everyone we wanted and lose all of the dead wood. Richard's comment seemed to suggest the other extreme (maybe I read it wrong). As we stand now we've got rid of Richardson and N'zogbia whilst losing anybody who we would like to retain. The next set of players that are being talked of leaving are Richards, Veretout, Sinclair and Sanchez.

To me saying the ones we want to stay will leave and the ones we want to go will stay doesn't look anything like what is happening. This also ignores the fact that Ayew, Gana and Amavi would be the only particularly big losses IMO with Veretout possibly having the potential to improve on last year.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

Definitely one I would have preferred to have stayed. Wasn't great last season but certainly had potential. And certainly wouldn't have wanted it to be a loan. Maybe a loan to permanent deal would be fine; but loan will only cover the wages and I would hope that wouldn't be too much... 

However if his heart is not in the fight or the cause and he wants out, then get him out ASAP. Only players willing to give 100% to the team should still be wearing the shirt on 1st September. 

• Like 2

Not too bothered if he goes as I think he has the wrong attitude for what we need to do well in the championship.  He sulks a lot and goes missing for large parts of game although he certainly has quality.  Who knows, maybe the move to England came at the wrong time for him so sending him back to France for a season might work out better for us come next season. 

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He clearly had a hard time settling last season.  Not speaking English, living in a hotel with a newborn, idiots in charge of the club who didn't have the first idea of integrating players like him.  I think it's as much a failure on the club's part as Veretout, I think he'd be better off sticking it out here in the long term but it's up to him.

Yep he had a bit of a nightmare IIRC, and weren't there stories at the time where he said Sherwood never spoke to him and once mistook him for one of the youth team, and later transfer-related Sherwood stories where Tactical Timothy heavily implied that Veretout was not one of his men.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep he had a bit of a nightmare IIRC, and weren't there stories at the time where he said Sherwood never spoke to him and once mistook him for one of the youth team, and later transfer-related Sherwood stories where Tactical Timothy heavily implied that Veretout was not one of his men.

Also did he actually play a single minute under that idiot Black?  Veretout wasn't great by any means but up until the West Ham game before Ayew got himself sent off we did seem to be improving/stabilising and he was a part of that.  Then he just vanished off the face of the earth.

Nice player, but never worth what we paid for him.A bit of an inbetween player for me, doesn't get enough goals to be an attacking midfielder, and isn't imho a particularly creative player either.Tshibola is a key player next year, if he performs we can go up, it is important that we get the right player to play alongside him of all the players we have atm Gana is the best.Gil, Grealish and Veretout are vying for one position imo, and i'm not sure any of them are good enough.

Good luck to Veretout, he never threw his toys out the pram, never played up, was always a scapegoat, just never worked.

I think there is possibly a player in there but I've not really seen it yet. Wondering how suited he is to the English game. Never looked athletic enough to play DM or box to box and not enough cutting edge to play as a 10.

One of those you could easily imagine looking very different for another side.

11 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Not too bothered if he goes as I think he has the wrong attitude for what we need to do well in the championship.  He sulks a lot and goes missing for large parts of game although he certainly has quality.  Who knows, maybe the move to England came at the wrong time for him so sending him back to France for a season might work out better for us come next season. 

I'm never sure whether he's sulking or he's just got one of those faces.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Also did he actually play a single minute under that idiot Black?  Veretout wasn't great by any means but up until the West Ham game before Ayew got himself sent off we did seem to be improving/stabilising and he was a part of that.  Then he just vanished off the face of the earth.

Garde left on the 29th of March.  Veretout's last appearance in a Villa shirt was the 19th of March in a 1-0 away loss to Swansea.

• Like 1

I wish him well as long as this move was not due to his not wanting to play for us this season. I trust his new club will pay 100% of his wages and that the option to buy will match what we paid for him or failing that we have agreed a sell on clause so that if he is sold on for more than we got for him we get say 25% of any difference. If not, we should take him back next season. 

1 minute ago, John said:

I wish him well as long as this move was not due to his not wantin?g to play for us this season. I trust his new club will pay 100% of his wages and that the option to buy will match what we paid for him or failing that we have agreed a sell on clause so that if he is sold on for more than we got for him we get say 25% of any difference. If not, we should take him back next season. 

He wouldn't have left if he wanted to play for him. 

I wonder if it's ok to dislike him now? 

Fine by me. 

I think he has potential, but it's hardly a huge loss. There's very few players from last year that would lead me to be gutted should they go. Grealish, Ayew, Amavi and Adama. The rest? Massive meh. 

Good luck to him though. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He wouldn't have left if he wanted to play for him. 

Not sure what you are saying here. Is it that you suspect he wanted to play somewhere else next season irrespective of whether RDM wanted him in the squad or could it be that RDM did not want to use him next season so he moved on? I would guess if he wanted to play for us and RDM wanted him to do so he would have stayed put. 

Edited by John

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fine by me. 

I think he has potential, but it's hardly a huge loss. There's very few players from last year that would lead me to be gutted should they go. Grealish, Ayew, Amavi and Adama. The rest? Massive meh. 

Good luck to him though. 

Just being a bit nit-picky here, but I assume you're bothered about keeping Jack in spite of last year? Otherwise pretty much agree yeah.

As for Veretout, I'd never heard of him before last summer but based on what people were saying on here and elsewhere I thought we had something special talent (was it this thread that was getting very high numbers of guests looking in last summer?). Ah well, cheerio to my third favourite Jordan.

13 minutes ago, John said:

Not sure what you are saying here Is it that you suspect he wanted to play somewhere else next season irrespective of whether RDM wanted him in the squad or could it be that RDM did not want to use him next season so he moved on? I would guess if he wanted to play for us and RDM wanted him to do so he would have stayed put. 

I meant us. He wouldn't have gone if he wanted to play for us. I think it's pretty clear he had no desire to help us get promoted. 

Â