Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

What issues did Veretout have ?

He wasn't good enough - 3 managers have already come to that conclusion (possibly 4 if you count RDM) . I d seriously rip someones hand of  at any offer over £3m - 

I was reffering to the issues mentioned earlier in the thread about living at the Belfry instead of a home, with his wife and newborn child meaning a lack of sleep and energy, he did not speak the language, all this while trying to settle into a struggling team that won one game of the first 10. I don't know how true it was, but It was reported that Sherwood wasn't talking to him when he first arrived, which delayed his settling in period. All things that can affect people no matter how much money they earn.

I definitely would not accept £3m, that would be a significant loss on the books bearing in mind what we paid (£8m i think), and any loyalty fees that we would have to pay to the player from his contract for selling him .

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

Id vouch for the unfit part to be honest. He looked knackered around 20 minutes - and the process of getting knackered didn't produce much either..

I guess unfit is an opinion too - a professional footballer running the 5th most on the team when apparently unfit certainly isn't lacking in effort...

...and he produced more than any other midfielder creatively (not that is says much after last season!).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bobzy said:

If our players are as shit as many are making out then it's hardly surprising we aren't getting them sold!

They are. Last year really hurt their value, even if some here have decided it was the managers' fault.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 10:29, markavfc40 said:

Midfield is the weakest area of our squad for me and I think last season it had a big knock on effect to how the rest of the team performed. It has been a big issue for a while in fairness but there is no doubt that having lost Delph and Cleverly from the previous seasons squad we failed to replace them with anything like the same quality.

With the midfield being so weak it meant the defence had little protection and the failure to be able to maintain possession meant we spent most of games without the ball and under pressure. The midfield also lacks creativity so the forwards were fed on scraps.

I have said before you can make an argument for Gana, Westwood, Veretout, Sanchez staying but those players all had plenty of game time last season and combined they were absolutely dire and failed to control any game. Major surgery is needed in this area of the pitch so I therefore have no problem with two or three of them being replaced. In fact I think it is vital that we start next season with a new engine room.

Ditto

28 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

if he wants out then he can't kick up a fuss when an option is available.

I'd withdraw the opportunity and make him play in the championship next season.

IF. 

On 7/18/2016 at 10:40, bobzy said:

I disagree on this.  Our midfield may well have not performed well (to be fair, neither did any of our side!) but it certainly wasn't our weakest area.  In fact, it was probably our strongest.

In terms of possession, pass success and general indicators of "controlling a game", Villa were very much bang average in the Premier League table.  However, when it came to taking shots, converting chances, stopping attacks et al, we were very much at the bottom end of the Premier League table.

I think a lot of the problem was the changing in managers - each of which didn't really seem to implement a clear plan (apart from Garde, who was more cautious before eventually doing nothing).  I genuinely don't think our team knew what it was meant to be doing.

Well, we will soon see if much has changed.

I would like to have seen a reference to closing down, squeezing, pressing and a general appetite for the physical encounter, also significant factors to " controlling the game"

We ( despite so many player changes over the years) struggle to do those things.....That why we need strikers who can score oodles of goals per game.

We need to be exponents of the 1-0/2-0 winning game to be confident of going up.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I really do think he's a nothing player, he has shown, well, nothing out there today, just like for most of last season. Can we not flog him and sign someone like Knockaert? A player who actually makes an impact from the centre.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â