Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

17 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Who have we fed to them?

Just about everyone, including players that aren't even ours (or ours, that aren't even players) if you believe the Internet.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

About to be loaned out to Marseilles apparently. Good move, IMO. He's not a bad player and don't want to get rid of him.

I do not see what is in it for us by our loaning him to a club that cannot afford to meet the asking price for the player. Either he stays with us and uses next season to prove his worth or someone makes us an offer that we cannot refuse. He along with several other players owes us a good season in the league that we now find we are in because of how they performed during last season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John said:

I do notn see what is in it for us by our loaning him to a club that cannot afford to meet the asking price for the player. Either hestays with us and uses next season to prove his worth or someone makes us an offer that we cannot refuse. He along with several other players owes us a good season in the league that we now find we are in because of how they performed during last season.

A loan could just be because Marseille can't afford him this summer. There could be a deal in place which makes it permanent next year. It also gets him off the wage bill and puts him in the shop window if we don't have a future deal in place. It's not ideal but I guess it's an option if the player wants out or RDM sees nothing in him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Midfield is the weakest area of our squad for me and I think last season it had a big knock on effect to how the rest of the team performed. It has been a big issue for a while in fairness but there is no doubt that having lost Delph and Cleverly from the previous seasons squad we failed to replace them with anything like the same quality.

With the midfield being so weak it meant the defence had little protection and the failure to be able to maintain possession meant we spent most of games without the ball and under pressure. The midfield also lacks creativity so the forwards were fed on scraps.

I have said before you can make an argument for Gana, Westwood, Veretout, Sanchez staying but those players all had plenty of game time last season and combined they were absolutely dire and failed to control any game. Major surgery is needed in this area of the pitch so I therefore have no problem with two or three of them being replaced. In fact I think it is vital that we start next season with a new engine room.

I disagree on this.  Our midfield may well have not performed well (to be fair, neither did any of our side!) but it certainly wasn't our weakest area.  In fact, it was probably our strongest.

In terms of possession, pass success and general indicators of "controlling a game", Villa were very much bang average in the Premier League table.  However, when it came to taking shots, converting chances, stopping attacks et al, we were very much at the bottom end of the Premier League table.

I think a lot of the problem was the changing in managers - each of which didn't really seem to implement a clear plan (apart from Garde, who was more cautious before eventually doing nothing).  I genuinely don't think our team knew what it was meant to be doing.

• Like 2

I think he could've done a good job for us, but if he didn't want to play in this league then this is for the best.  Hopefully it gets him completely off the wage bill for this season at least.  If he's going out it's because RDM is OK with it.  So it's part of the plan :thumb: Get someone willing in to replace him now.  We need a lynchpin in the middle.  Jedinak please.

Very disappointing if true.  Not one I'd be desperate to get shot of.  Strikes me that the ones we want to go will stay and the ones we want to stay will go

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Very disappointing if true.  Not one I'd be desperate to get shot of.  Strikes me that the ones we want to go will stay and the ones we want to stay will go

This seems rather (unsurprisingly) pessimistic. The talk today is of Guzan, Sinclair, Richards and Veretout leaving. I'd say of that lot Veretout maybe could do a job but was unimpressive at large last year anyway. 

This also ignores the fact that only Richardson and N'Zogbia have actually left so far - both of whom are clearly not up to it. So basically you're guessing and guessing at the most negative option. 

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

This seems rather (unsurprisingly) pessimistic. The talk today is of Guzan, Sinclair, Richards and Veretout leaving. I'd say of that lot Veretout maybe could do a job but was unimpressive at large last year anyway. 

This also ignores the fact that only Richardson and N'Zogbia have actually left so far - both of whom are clearly not up to it. So basically you're guessing and guessing at the most negative option. 

LOL

Not sure how I feel about this. I certainly see something in Veretout. I think there's a player in there for sure. 

I appreciate he might be unhappy, and may want a return to France to find his feet again, but I don't particularly want to sell him, so maybe on balance a loan move to sort his head out might be a good move, but I'd prefer him to find his feet here.

I think he's a bit of a confidence player so if he can go have a blinder in France whilst we get promoted, then he can come back that would be good.

Sadly, I think if we loan him out we will never see him again in a Villa shirt. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Not sure how I feel about this. I certainly see something in Veretout. I think there's a player in there for sure. 

I appreciate he might be unhappy, and may want a return to France to find his feet again, but I don't particularly want to sell him, so maybe on balance a loan move to sort his head out might be a good move, but I'd prefer him to find his feet here.

I think he's a bit of a confidence player so if he can go have a blinder in France whilst we get promoted, then he can come back that would be good.

Sadly, I think if we loan him out we will never see him again in a Villa shirt. 

Pretty much where I am with him. I don't think he'll be a huge loss based on last year's performances where he was no more effective than Westwood but I do think he's capable of much more.

Â