Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

He really can pick a pass & deliver a cross which is plain to see in that video.

His general game needs more improvement though. Keep IMO but hopefully RDM & Clarke can help him kick on.

@GENTLEMAN do those videos always need the 60 seconds of nothing at the start? Its a pet hate of my with youtube montages... :)

On 21/06/2016 at 03:55, LockStockVilla said:

Yes. If we were to pull off the tough task of coming straight back up, we would then need players ready to play at that level. If Veretout can get playing time at the PL level on loan with Bournemouth. Whilst you may not agree, which is fair enough, players can definitely develop at the highest level with proper coaching and a stable environment. 

...but I want us to concentrate on getting back up, and if we can, I want Veretout to be a part of that.

Loaning out players is bad news, they quickly became the scapegoat, they are usually dropped and discarded. The club isn't invested in their future or developing them.

I want Veretout back firing next season, 46 games will do him the world of good.

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Do not judge him solely on that video - a lot of footage has been omitted (dribbles, opportunities that he creates with passes, defensive skills, shots, passes etc). JV, like the other midfielders, are let down by poor finishing - sometimes by their own inability to finish. 

I'm not judging him solely on the video, I have been to enough games to feel I have a comfortable handle on what he has done over the season. The clips more brought home to me that our midfield has lacked a driving presence since Delph left.  I really want him to succeed however I'm not sure what he brings to the team in solid technique, the ability to pass forward and indeed hit a dead ball makes up for the lack of pace, strength and dynamism.   It has bothered me for a long time that our midfield seems to just not be there, either supporting the attack or helping out the defense and it doesn't improve much either way with JV in the team. 

• Like 3

The last time our midfield was decent (ish) was down to the sheer hard graft of Delph and Cleverly, both worked hard and chased down everything, even if you don't think ether player has much else to their game. In part they had to do this because our defence was so awful and then we lost them and the defence got worse.

Gana played that dynamic defensive role at times, but often went missing or didn't know where on the pitch he should be, also there was no attacking relief to take the pressure off defence and midfield.

I think a better defence and a harder working midfield would allow someone like Veretout to thrive. But i am pretty sure he'll go back to France anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Did he play in the game yesterday? 

Gregg's verdict in the B'ham mail Link

"JORDAN VERETOUT – Found lots of space to play in as GAK couldn’t live with Villa’s superior fitness. Kept feeding the flanks, where Villa did most damage."

Edited by Gary Thomas

26 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Gregg's verdict in the B'ham mail Link

"JORDAN VERETOUT – Found lots of space to play in as GAK couldn’t live with Villa’s superior fitness. Kept feeding the flanks, where Villa did most damage."

Ha ha ha ha ha !

Either they have a team of Ollie Hardys or our new coaching staff are having very quick results !

As for Mange-tout, he is another of the 'he might be better than we've seen' categories - someone made the point a Page or so back about the difference some movement in front of him might make.  It is a fair point that we gave a whole new meaning to the word 'static' last year. 

However, so is the observation that he did very little in terms of forward running himself either. So, altogether that pretty much makes him largely the same as any other midfielder last season !  Have to wonder whether they are all really that poor or maybe just the rot had got to them collectively.  I do think in his case that could be so.

I'd be happy enough to see him stay.

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Ha ha ha ha ha !

Either they have a team of Ollie Hardys or our new coaching staff are having very quick results !

They're an amateur team in the Austrian 6th tier...

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

They're an amateur team in the Austrian 6th tier...

And...?:)

Just joshing....the very phrase "Villas superior fitness" just felt right up there with "Terrytinis new missus Liz Hurley..."

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Meh, contributed absolutely nothing, French league is about his level, may as well sell him. Yet another one you can mark down as a total waste of money.

Surely the French league is better than the Championship? If that's his level we'd be better off keeping him. 

• Like 3

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 15:17, KHV said:

Jordan Veretout - The shite playmaker

That's the worst highlight video I've ever seen. He's so good that for the first minute they showed him kicking a ball once. Then a 30 second corner montage followed by a French flag in the crowd. 

Don't these things usually show off a players quality. 

Edited by DCJonah

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Meh, contributed absolutely nothing, French league is about his level, may as well sell him. Yet another one you can mark down as a total waste of money.

He contributed more than most. I can only assume you want to sell the entire squad. 

Â