Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Thought Richards looked commanding at the back, hope it continues.

We should have had a penalty for the foul committed on him in the first half too.

Far from commanding when it comes to organising the rest of the back line on set pieces... He needs to take more responsibility in those situations. 

We've looked fine defending corners so far unless I've missed something.

Inswinging free kicks aren't the easiest to defend, look at West Ham's first at Arsenal.

Micah isn't allowed to make a single error it seems. I guess that's fair as Vlaar, Okore, Baker and Clark have never made errors for us so he has high standards to match  :rolleyes:

Some people have clearly made their mind up on Richards and nothing will change it. 

• Like 3

Thought Richards looked commanding at the back, hope it continues.

We should have had a penalty for the foul committed on him in the first half too.

Far from commanding when it comes to organising the rest of the back line on set pieces... He needs to take more responsibility in those situations. 

We've looked fine defending corners so far unless I've missed something.

Inswinging free kicks aren't the easiest to defend, look at West Ham's first at Arsenal.

a few people seem to be basing micha's so called lack of responsibility on gary neville's commentary where he was saying he needs to organise the backline... said as the camera was focused on micah pointing and trying to organise the backline (along with clark - i think they are both pretty vocal). he was very vocal against bournemouth and in the preseason games, i don't think he lacks responsibility

we have a pretty young backline who have hardly played together. amavi is new to the country, as are two of the midfielders who are pulled back at set pieces.  bacuna has some raw ability but he doesnt seem to listen that much instruction or seem very smart positioning wise. add in a keeper whos idea of organising is to shout 'away' and there are going to be teething troubles.

as for positioing and football intelligence that seem to be the other knock on him, he has made lots of interceptions due to good positioning and reading of the game, hes read when a fellow player is getting beaten one on one and has got across to cover. hes had a couple of driving runs out after an interception yes, but hes then seen he cant go any further, turned back, layed the ball off to a midfielder and got back into position.

yes hes dived in a couple of times and given away a free kick, he wasnt great for the januzai goal, but if we are holding him to such a standard that occasionally getting caught out (even if it costs us a goal) means he cant play CB, then in that case most of the CBs at other clubs cant play that position either. Alderweirald at spurs got completely done and gave away a penalty yesterday, then let diouf steal in for a header 6 yards out. The southampton CBs had a very poor game agaisnt everton. Last week John Stones got completely done for a Watford goal - Chelsea want him for 30 million.

There are going to be errors, times when an opposition player gets the better of him, and times where he is going to be responsible for a goal against. But so far the positives have far outweighed the negatives. As long as that continues he absolutely can play centre back.

Excellent post.

Thankfully I didn't have to listen to Gary Neville. I had Danny Mills doing the commentary on the game and from what I can remember he wasn't overly critical of Micah.

It's only his second game at centre half in the Premier League for a long time. He's handled himself well.

Micah isn't allowed to make a single error it seems. I guess that's fair as Vlaar, Okore, Baker and Clark have never made errors for us so he has high standards to match  :rolleyes:

Some people have clearly made their mind up on Richards and nothing will change it. 

I'm sure pointing out a very obvious error is making up minds.

He's been more good than bad for us so far but he made a mistake for the goal.

• Like 2

See he's enjoyed himself at the Etihad today. 

I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable with a player being quite so openly friendly with other teams.

Jack Grealish praised Ross Barley on twitter yesterday, there were other players at todays game too who went and said hi to the players, oh the humanity!  He was born and bred at Man C ffs. JPA, Laursen, Mellberg, Carew should have been slaughtered if they ever came back to Villa Park and showed affection hey?

• Like 2

See he's enjoyed himself at the Etihad today. 

I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable with a player being quite so openly friendly with other teams.

Jack Grealish praised Ross Barley on twitter yesterday, there were other players at todays game too who went and said hi to the players, oh the humanity!  He was born and bred at Man C ffs. JPA, Laursen, Mellberg, Carew should have been slaughtered if they ever came back to Villa Park and showed affection hey?

Totally agree - I recall we all praised Marc Albrighton for being at Wembley as a 'fan' only last season. I'm sure Leicester fans didn't go ape over it (too busy going ape over everything else probably!)

• Like 2

Richards and Clark look like a very good combination to me at the moment. I don't Okore getting back in the team. And I also think that Tim might be re-considering bringing in another centre half, as we already have Okore, Baker and Crespo as back up. Not ITK, just what I think Tim is thinking.

0,,10265~13919513,00.jpg

Look at the size of that thigh he could easily play rugby

Sinclair looks like a rabbit caught in headlight's.

Never sure of the thing about a defender being 'to blame for the goal'.........seeing as that is going to be the case in at least half the goals scored this season, and every other.  They are going to make mistakes arent htey, thats obvious ?

Â