Micah Richards

Demitri_C

He's a villa legend in the making. We have needed a proper leader at the back since Laursen and given time, I think he will be that player.

Give him time to develop his game at CB and we will reap the rewards. He has all the attributes to be a top CB and villa captain

It was a very good debut but it'll need more than one game to assuage my fears about him at CB. Friday will be interesting, big test for the new pairing. Another promising performance and I might start thinking that CB is not such a priority signing for us after all.

Him v Rooney will be a good duel, I do actually remember him having good games v United in his City days although that could just be the whole pumped up for the derby.

The real test for our CBs will be coming up against an Aguero or Alexis. Physical strikers don't worry me against Richards, strikers with speed and brilliant positional movement do.

This game will be much more of a test than Championship level Bournemouth and their strikers. IMO Richards should be told to man-mark Rooney, so he has a focus - I really hope he doesn't make any silly runs up the pitch either. Poor positioning will be punished against Man U.

He was great on Saturday. I agree that people are imagining all these times he was "out of position and made up for it with his pace". Even the "mistake" that led to the Gosling chance, he tackled the ball against a Bournemouth player, then Amavi tackled the ball into Gosling's path. Both tackles prevented clear shots at goal but also combined to create their best chance. I think it'd be harsh to criticise either player.

It's fun watching Clark and Richards going around clattering people.

• Like 2

He was great on Saturday. I agree that people are imagining all these times he was "out of position and made up for it with his pace". Even the "mistake" that led to the Gosling chance, he tackled the ball against a Bournemouth player, then Amavi tackled the ball into Gosling's path. Both tackles prevented clear shots at goal but also combined to create their best chance. I think it'd be harsh to criticise either player.

It really is isn't it! I just watched the game this morning and what a pleasant surprise that combination was. As a pairing it is miles better then Vlaar and Clark. Also puts the fear of God into forwards watching Micah bully people all game and Ciaran scythe them down. I thought Richards was our MOTM, and didn't do too much wrong. Don't think we will concede to much in the air with this partnership either.

• Like 3

I think taking the Bournemouth game as an example is a but of a false impression - they're a championship team still, more or less. Friday against United will tell us a lot more; hopefully they'll do well.

I agree but then they are an opposition at the other extreme of the scale, we will only really start to be able to asses his performances after 10+ games.

• Like 2

Haha yeah it is.

Jury still out for me but he had a good game at the weekend.

In the BBC and ESPN team of the week.

I wonder did whoever pick those teams actually watch the Villa Bournemouth game or did they just pick a Villa defender because we had a clean sheet. Probably the latter as those "team of the week's" are usually a joke. Richards was very poor in the first half and you can be certain there were at least two other CB's who had better games than him last weekend.

The jury is still out on him. 

Edited by villa89

I wonder did whoever pick those teams actually watch the Villa Bournemouth game or did they just pick a Villa defender because we had a clean sheet. Probably the latter as those "team of the week's" are usually a joke. Richards was very poor in the first half and you can be certain there were at least two other CB's who had better games than him last weekend.

I think they did watch it and you didn't.

• Like 1

I wonder did whoever pick those teams actually watch the Villa Bournemouth game or did they just pick a Villa defender because we had a clean sheet. Probably the latter as those "team of the week's" are usually a joke. Richards was very poor in the first half and you can be certain there were at least two other CB's who had better games than him last weekend.

The jury is still out on him.

No I think they watched it and saw that he was excellent. You know we were the team in yellow?

Hoping to see more composure from him tonight, the ball was like a bomb at his feet at times last week. If he can hold his position better rather than charging off, he'll improve.

Centre half the only position I feel a bit uneasy about now, but I do want Micah to step up as captain and make himself undroppable.

Â