Micah Richards

Demitri_C

"If it wasn't Richards you wouldn't mind." - that is childish. I've made it clear that I don't have anything against him personally and that I think he has some very good footballing attributes, just IMO is clearly out of place at CB.

"If it wasn't Richards you wouldn't mind." - that is childish. I've made it clear that I don't have anything against him personally and that I think he has some very good footballing attributes, just IMO is clearly out of place at CB.

Ok cool. I didn't mean it to be and have said in my previous post why I said that.

Cool beans.

Pick of our defence so far, not sure what else he can do Lexicon to convince you?

I'm not saying he won't ever make a mistake, he will, but he's proving to be a huge upgrade on what we put in defence last season

As I mentioned, he has three areas of his game that need a lot of work IMO:

- Marking

- Positioning

- Cutting out the stupid runs forward

They are all one issue surely? Caused by his "stupid" forward runs.

He nearly scored from one of those on Saturday. I do not, as a general rule, have an issue with defenders carrying the ball out of defence. I also believe that in the modern game a defender who has the ability to recover should be making forward runs from time to time, it's a useful weapon. It helps when you have a DM as able as Sanchez to drop back to cover his very occasional bursts.

I understand you feel differently, I think you are being a bit of a luddite. I think what we actually need is a calmer head next to him, a solid, experienced and reliable defender who will give him a bit not freedom to roam from time to time. I don't think Clark is that player.

Ultimately Richards is a defender first and foremost. He has, so far, done that. It's not as though he spends half the game in the opposition box. I think this problem as you have presented it is much smaller than you believe.

As an aside I don't remember you making the same complaints regarding Okore, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

• Like 1

Am I really the only one who doesn't want a CB that makes runs into attacking midfield/up front?

IMO CBs should not be highlights reel players and they shouldn't need to be last ditch - they should be dependable, consistent and calm.

In that case God was a prat then seeing in many games he bombed forward as did Teale. They should just stay back at all times just make a simple pass and stay around the 18 yard box and not go up for corners. After all thier job is to defend i believe. What must Chris Nicholl have thought marauding forward and having that scorcher against Everton and all 4 goals in the 2-2 draw against Leicester.
  • Like 1

I don't need to be entertained or excited by CBs, attacking players should be the ones taking care of that. I appreciate a good defensive performance in the same way though, I loved watching players like Nesta defend - certainly not dour to me.

However, I agree that bombing forward sometimes can be to good effect, especially if the team is struggling and need a lift but there is a time and a place for it and you sure as shit don't do it if you're leaving the defence exposed. 

However, I agree that bombing forward sometimes can be to good effect, especially if the team is struggling and need a lift but there is a time and a place for it and you sure as shit don't do it if you're leaving the defence exposed.

Every time you do it you are leaving the defence "exposed" to a degree. There is no middle ground. If you think there is, pleased explain.

He will have been given licence to do so, unless you believe that the coaching staff and most importantly the Manager are telling him not to do it and he is ignoring them?

If the opposition are showing no real interest in attacking because they are winning - it makes sense to go for it in the latter stages of a game. It's pretty much a numbers game at that point, if you aren't outnumbered then it shouldn't be as much of a problem. 

An important point in that discussion is the intelligence of your team-mates.  One of the benefits of having Sanchez in midfield, not just playing well but being a relatively adept CB, is that someone like Richards can have a flight of (captain's) fancy and not leave his position exposed because Carlos will slot in until the shape is restored.

• Like 1

Yeah that's true - It's more comforting with Sanchez there for sure but I still get nervy.

Having just finished watching the second half, Richards did have a better game for us in this one than in others - which is encouraging. I'm still obviously not sold on him because this was Sunderland, who are shite but it's a step in the right direction. 

If the opposition are showing no real interest in attacking because they are winning - it makes sense to go for it in the latter stages of a game. It's pretty much a numbers game at that point, if you aren't outnumbered then it shouldn't be as much of a problem.

Even if, as I have said and BOF had just reiterated, you have an able defensive mid to drop?

I do know what you mean to an extent, it's not something I want to see him doing when we are under sustained pressure. Thing is, I've not seen him do that yet. Actually, perhaps once against United, but I recall it being at a time in the second half when nobody else wanted to take hold of the game. To my mind you are asking him to cut something out that does not exist in the form you think it does.

He has his flaws, he's not the most graceful of footballers and his footwork lets him down at times and I also think he has shown a propensity for being a bit rash. His marking has room for improvement and I am hopeful that will come with time. I also think his positioning generally has been excellent, he's a very powerful, dominant defender and I can't imagine there will be many strikers relishing playing against him.

I think Micah's an excellent defender. He already looks good and there are a few good reasons why I believe he will get better.

Firstly, he hasn't played consistently for a few years, a run of games will certainly help give him a barometer of what is expected and how to improve.

Secondly, he's not played at center back consistently for a very long time, but he does know how to play there. He will almost be relearning some aspects of being a CB.

Thirdly, he's new to Aston Villa, he is still getting to know his team mates strengths and weaknesses and his manager's philosophy.

A mixture of playing again consistently, and settling in at the club will see his level of performance improve. I'm almost certain of that.

I'm indifferent to his forward runs. They are a bit of a risk, but equally can potentially give the team and extra option going forward. Once a game is enough for me. Sherwood obviously doesn't mind, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

All in all, he is probably one of the best signings we could have made. He's a player of calibre, experience and ambition but with a lot to prove. And I think he'll prove it. England are not as strong at CB as they once were, if Micah has a good run of games he will be of interest to Hodgson.

A centreback striding forward is one of my favourite sights in football.

As long as you have a team happy and able to cover then it's ok.

On Saturday I saw Richards make two massive runs forward. The first time Bacuna almost immediately dropped into right back and Hutton moved across to Centreback.

The second time Sanchez dropped straight into Centreback.

It very much looked to me like they half expected it and knew what to do to cover.

It's not a problem, imo. In fact, it's an advantage.

Spot on, it's the difference between a fluid side with unpredictability which is hard to defend against and plan for, and the sort of game we saw later on in Lambert's reign where we were rigid and entirely predictable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â