Micah Richards

Demitri_C

It helps that I just like him. As a character and his style of play. I like a bit of blood and thunder at the back.

Maybe it is he who needs a calmer player next to him rather than Clark, who as decent as he is *could* be described as a ten-a-penny premier league defender... Not always easy to find those granted...

After the season he's just had, you're really slagging off Ciaran Clark?

This isn't aimed at you mate, just the thread in general, but people need to be getting less divided over new signings already. Richards has always lacked tactical discipline, Sherwood would've been aware of this when he signed - it's nothing new. Every player has their strengths and faults. He will get better when his confidence returns and when he is settled, as well as re-adapting to a position which he has barely played for years. He has also seen very little football for a long period, and will only get better.

Support the players. I really don't get how people can be so negative already, I really don't.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 1

It helps that I just like him. As a character and his style of play. I like a bit of blood and thunder at the back.

Maybe it is he who needs a calmer player next to him rather than Clark, who as decent as he is *could* be described as a ten-a-penny premier league defender... Not always easy to find those granted...

This isn't aimed at you mate, just the thread in general, but people need to be getting less divided over new signings already. Richards has always lacked tactical discipline, Sherwood would've been aware of this when he signed - it's nothing new. Every player has their strengths and faults. He will get better when his confidence returns and when he is settled, as well as re-adapting to a position which he has barely played for years. He has also seen very little football for a long period, and will only get better.

Support the players. I really don't get how people can be so negative already, I really don't.

Losing to Man United obviously. If we beat Palace everything will be amazing again. ;)

If Richards has always lacked tactical discipline, how is he going to get better? 

Huh? Continuity in the team, understanding with his team mates, match fitness. Will just generally improve as he gets the support of the fans. It's a weakness in his game, but doesn't mean he can't improve it.

Is that how you read it? Being an "average" premier league defender is hardly a bad thing.

Is that how you read it? Being an "average" premier league defender is hardly a bad thing.

Yeah fair. I honestly reckon he could be our best defender since Laursen if he a) stays confident B) stays fit and c) stays backed by the fans. Sort of player that will thrive with confidence.

He'd of got criticised either way last night. If he stays on his feet and januzai smashes it across goal for a simple tap in, then he'd criticised for not stopping the cross. Januzai faked him out well. It was a great pass from mata and not a great line from a new defensive unit, learning to play together

Love his driving runs forward.

The ones that leave him badly out of position, yeah 'love' them too!

That's unfair-Many great ball playing central defenders do/have done this.

One of the main reasons people rave about Okore is because of his YT video v Chelsea when he regularly plays out of defence. I remember Guillet doing it for Chelsea when he dropped back there-If the central defenders drives out of defence with the ball then one of the midfielders simply holds back to cover-The same applies in all areas of the pitch.

Love his driving runs forward.

The ones that leave him badly out of position, yeah 'love' them too!

That's unfair-Many great ball playing central defenders do/have done this.

One of the main reasons people rave about Okore is because of his YT video v Chelsea when he regularly plays out of defence. I remember Guillet doing it for Chelsea when he dropped back there-If the central defenders drives out of defence with the ball then one of the midfielders simply holds back to cover-The same applies in all areas of the pitch.

And Richards doesn't even do so much of it. Too much fuss made.

• Like 1

If Richards has always lacked tactical discipline, how is he going to get better? 

Huh? Continuity in the team, understanding with his team mates, match fitness. Will just generally improve as he gets the support of the fans. It's a weakness in his game, but doesn't mean he can't improve it.

He's 27 - it's not going to happen. To have the right positional sense you need that particular skill set - he doesn't it have it and as you said yourself, he never has. Real CBs start working on that from their early teenage years, RBs who suddenly decide that they want to play CB at the age of 27 are somewhat lagging behind. 

He needs to go play at RB for us. He can do a good job there and if he goes there now, before we play a team that has strikers who are on form -we can save him and ourselves the embarrassment of getting absolutely shellacked. 

• Like 1

Thought Richards looked commanding at the back, hope it continues.

We should have had a penalty for the foul committed on him in the first half too.

Yes, the referee appeared to have a good view of it. How did he not give it? Oh, yes, Manchester United.

He's going to be our captain and cb for probably the next 3/4 years. Maybe we should just accept it.

he can still be our captain at right back ;)

He was quite poor imo. He almost got caught out when he lost the ball on the half way line and they countered. He just has a rush of head and i dont think has the temperament to play at CB. Having Richards and Amavi bombing forward would be amazing. Fonte and Clark would be alot better. Throw in Okore and we would be more solid. I think Richards can do a job against certain opposition at CB mind you.. but just think were better off buying a proper CB. Bit curious to see how Crespo would play there too.

Thought Richards looked commanding at the back, hope it continues.

We should have had a penalty for the foul committed on him in the first half too.

Far from commanding when it comes to organising the rest of the back line on set pieces... He needs to take more responsibility in those situations. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He's 27 - it's not going to happen. To have the right positional sense you need that particular skill set - he doesn't it have it and as you said yourself, he never has. Real CBs start working on that from their early teenage years, RBs who suddenly decide that they want to play CB at the age of 27 are somewhat lagging behind. 

He needs to go play at RB for us. He can do a good job there and if he goes there now, before we play a team that has strikers who are on form -we can save him and ourselves the embarrassment of getting absolutely shellacked. 

He is actually a CB who was forced to play RB

He has some harsh critics on here.

Try to give him a clean slate.

If it helps, imagine his name is Micahangelo Ricardos. He's from Brazil and has won LaLiga with Real Madrid. He has a few caps too. Wow what a coup!

As mentioned earlier Ricardos was was slightly in front of his back line for the goal, and then dived in. However if Gueye had tracked his man, there is no problem.

Defensive unit failed. It'll take time.

Â