Micah Richards

Demitri_C

His lack of footballing intelligence will cost us points at CB

Good athlete yes but loses his head far to quickly for my liking and isn't calm under pressure

We need a calming influence at the back neither Clark or Richards provide this we need an organiser

He will make mistakes where sometimes his raw athleticism will not be enough to save him

Not saying he's a bad defender or anything i just think CB isn't his natural position

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

He's looked completely at home at CB so far. Reads the game well, pressing attackers or intercepting the ball at the right momemts. Brings the ball out of defence well and passed it nicely also.

I've been very impressed in 2 games and I'm confident he'll get better and better.

It helps that I just like him. As a character and his style of play. I like a bit of blood and thunder at the back.

Maybe it is he who needs a calmer player next to him rather than Clark, who as decent as he is *could* be described as a ten-a-penny premier league defender... Not always easy to find those granted...

We conceded against Man United. 'Told you so' posts out already.

Pathetic.

Jesus wept, of all people to get on their high horse :lol:
Give him a break. He is still recovering from not being able to blame Darren Bent for absolutely everything.

I like to think I give players a chance. A player making his second appearance for us and a player starting at CB for the first time in a fair few years.

If you can't distinguish that between an 18m striker who took the complete piss out of this club for four years?

• Like 1

You could guess from preseason the people who are going to exaggerate every minor error. He's been very good in both games now.

Exactly. He's been a good signing for us so far. 

You could guess from preseason the people who are going to exaggerate every minor error. He's been very good in both games now.

Yes he has. And he'll just get better.

Made two mistakes leading up to the goal yesterday.

Firstly, he pushed out, without making sure the rest of defense came with him. He left Clark and Amavi in behind him.

Secondly, the slide block, when he should have stayed on his feet.

As the leader of the line, he should always be the last man stepping up. Simple instructions, tell the other three defenders to be half a step ahead of him at all times, unless they are covering him.

Two mistakes in a very short amount of time that overshadowed the remaining 89 minutes, where I felt he was near flawless. I can't believe we got him on a free. :)

Edited by villianusa
  • Like 1

Impressive again - only worry is something Neville pointed out is that our organisation at set pieces was dire - needs to be addressed urgently but isn't solely the fault of Richards.

Wouldn't blame him for their goal either - Gana was knackered and lost his man, and the ball took an unlucky deflection. Simple as that.

Mistakes that cost goals rightly overshadow the remaining performance. He reminds me of Dunne: 89 minutes of good defending but one moment of rash defending and a goal is conceded. If we want to improve we need someone who doesn't make those mistakes. We need cool & composed. Those defenders cost a bit, though.

• Like 1

Yes he has. And he'll just get better.

This is my take on it.

He's not going to move to RB and as captain, he's not going to be taken out of the starting 11. People need to get used to that and move on. If a new CB does come in then Clarks place will be more under threat than Richards.

He's just approaching his peak age for a central defender and more games under his belt will only see him improve greater.

A certain amount of slack needs to be cut here-He must still be slightly rusty given the topsy turvy past few seasons with no sustained run in the side.

Anyone seen this: http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/man_utd/220846/watch-manchester-uniteds-matteo-darmian-tricks-aston-villas-micah-richards.html

It's before the corner when we should have had a penalty. Darmian fools Richards that he has something on his face, making him forget about the corner and along with a solid hold around his neck making him late to the ball.

Pretty clever actually, too bad the ref didn't have the balls to give the penalty

Edited by sne

Minor error? It was awful defending. Organisation of the back line, from set pieces in particular, was subpar as well. Guess we can just as easily tell from preseason the people who will refuse to acknowledge any criticisms as valid.

• Like 1

Love his driving runs forward.

The ones that leave him badly out of position, yeah 'love' them too!

I like CBs to bring the ball out from the back. It's not always a bad thing. I'd rather have someone like Richards than a hoof merchant like Collins for example.

Â