Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Ok guys.....you win.....Palace are a much more attractive proposition than us...which is why 2 promising, highly sort after prospects in foreign leagues have signed for us.....maybe we drugged them!

were we competing with palace for them?

No just the likes of Athletico Madrid, Lyon, Marseille and Southampton

So not Palace  ;)

• Like 1

We need players badly but I don't think they have to be bought this week. A player valued at £9m today may go for £7m on deadline day for example.

Or valued for 10M today 12M on deadline day as we become more desperate and the selling club has less time to replace

I share your thoughts Rich. I would rather we get our dealing done sooner rather than later. If we were to get relegated by a couple of points this season, the last thing I want to see from Sherwood and co is that signing players so late in the transfer window, resulting in a missed pre-season and, the fact they didn't start to gel until we had played a quarter of the season, was the difference between us staying up or going down - but that's what I would expect from them!

I said it before on here, at the end of last season Sherwood was harping on about getting players in and out ASAP so that he could have a proper pre-season with the squad. That does not appear to be happening.

• Like 1

We need players badly but I don't think they have to be bought this week. A player valued at £9m today may go for £7m on deadline day for example.

Yes but at the same time over 10% of our league fixtures will have been played in that time frame so surely the £2m extra would be worth the expense if it helped keep us up?

Unfortunately we are not in a position to be gambling like this. Bums on seats now, no matter the extra cost!

The fans want everything yesterday and the club wants value for money .

Somebody is going to be unhappy...

Value for money is easier when you are not desperate.

Things aren't desperate yet IMO.

But get that way the longer we leave it

we will bring 2 players in next week

That is a very decent guess.

From what I gather we are actually nearly there on a couple of deals

Good post Omar

FWIW i do think we are close to a couple of signings,  not sure they will both excite the fan base as much as the club expect them to though

If it's Adebayor and Lennon then no.  If it's Adebayor and one of Rolan/Batshuayi/Praet/Martial/Austin then I would be pretty happy.

We've had plenty of links out there in the foreign press like the ones we've got used to over the years, so I'm sure we've got plenty going on. It's been less than a day since the Benteke money was confirmed, so I'm sure things will start moving quickly from now. I see little to suggest we won't spend most if not all the money too; Randy has never taken money out of the club and I see no evidence that he won't let Fox and Sherwood spend what the club earns. He is trying to sell the club dirt cheap by the sounds of things, so I don't see why he'd just sit on the cash, and if he was going to, I doubt we'd have spent our entire budget on a left back and one central midfielder. It still takes negotiation though and value for money is still important, so stay patient.

Great post. Spot on.

• Like 1

We are a bigger club than palace in terms of fanbase, stadium history etc. but on the playing side we really  are not, barring the three that have come up we are in the worst team in the league FACT. refer to last seasons table if you don't believe me

People put too much emphasis on net spend.  The most important thing is getting the right players in.

If the right players cost £6m and £10m respectively, then we'd still have a "minus net spend" but the team would be stronger.

The only problem is doing business sooner rather than later.  It generally takes a little while for new players to gel.

• Like 2

Ok guys.....you win.....Palace are a much more attractive proposition than us...which is why 2 promising, highly sort after prospects in foreign leagues have signed for us.....maybe we drugged them!

your point is only valid is if CP bid for them. (i dont know if they did)
No. My point is they joined because AVFC still is a huge attraction to players.
Or the prem league is a league most players wanna play in and we were the only English club to bid for them?

Judging by Sherwood's outlook, bringing in new staff in all aspects, the fees paid for Amavi and Gueye, as well as the wages we have freed up from outgoings, as well as the fees gained from Benteke and Delph and Weimann and Lowton and whoever else.. I think we'll sign some good players.

• Like 1

Or valued for 10M today 12M on deadline day as we become more desperate and the selling club has less time to replace

I share your thoughts Rich. I would rather we get our dealing done sooner rather than later. If we were to get relegated by a couple of points this season, the last thing I want to see from Sherwood and co is that signing players so late in the transfer window, resulting in a missed pre-season and, the fact they didn't start to gel until we had played a quarter of the season, was the difference between us staying up or going down - but that's what I would expect from them!

I said it before on here, at the end of last season Sherwood was harping on about getting players in and out ASAP so that he could have a proper pre-season with the squad. That does not appear to be happening.

We had to sell before we could buy in anymore players, the Delph and Benteke deals have only just been concluded. We will get people in over the next few days

People put too much emphasis on net spend. The most important thing is getting the right players in.

If the right players cost £6m and £10m respectively, then we'd still have a "minus net spend" but the team would be stronger.

The only problem is doing business sooner rather than later. It generally takes a little while for new players to gel.

Agreed about net spend regarding quality of player. But we should be spending more then the £40 million we've just got because our squad needs strength and quality and there's no reason, other than lerner choosing not to, for it not to happen.

Another way to look at transfer bargaining ,,,lets take Austin at QPR.Now he is out of contract in a year so they need to extract the most value from him now to invest in the team.Right now they want 15mil but the closer it gets to the window the more desperate they will become to sell as they risk his value goign to zero in a year and they still need to improve the team.

So as it goes along maybe 12mi will get the deal over the line ,,,

That's just a simple example of course in that example should more than once club be interested in then can become a bidding war , point is transfer are complex and it can go either way or has the advantage , Buyer or the Seller.

your point is only valid is if CP bid for them. (i dont know if they did)

No. My point is they joined because AVFC still is a huge attraction to players.

was it? weird to phrase your sentence as "Palace are a much more attractive proposition than us...which is why 2 promising, highly sort after prospects in foreign leagues have signed for us", if that was your point. Youre linking the two together for some reason which has nothing to do with your (apparent) point

Edited by gharperr

One thing that really, really bugs me is when people suggest we are close to signing two players for example, then not even alluding to who they are.

Surely if you have heard some gossip, you'd at least tease us with a riddle or something to keep us normal, unconnected folk excited!

One thing that really, really bugs me is when people suggest we are close to signing two players for example, then not even alluding to who they are.

Surely if you have heard some gossip, you'd at least tease us with a riddle or something to keep us normal, unconnected folk excited!

Personally I don't understand the clamour for gossip . Whatever happens , happens, and unless you plan on making money via undisclosed transfer knowledge then I don't understand it at all. 

• Like 1

Richard wouldn't wee on a normal person if they were on fire.

• Like 2

right now the people wanting adebayor will be the same people celebrating when he runs out his contract, in a similar way to when he played for city and spurs, in a bobo balde-esque manner and his astronomical wages are off the villa books. saying he should be brought in to mentor anyone is the most ridiculous idea i think I've ever heard since offering a minuscule release clause to one of your top players

Personally I don't understand the clamour for gossip . Whatever happens , happens, and unless you plan on making money via undisclosed transfer knowledge then I don't understand it at all. 

Boooooo!

Character-buzz-killington-facespace.png