Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I actually think we are in a good position and should trust the current strategy. We have bought in four good quality players so far, not like the previous buy cheap and hope strategy under Lambert.

Getting Adebayor and a quality young striker with potential to sell on for a bigger fee in 3 years would actually be a smart piece of business. It's what we've done with Benteke. Adebayor will also provide good experience for the younger players.

I do think we need a 'captain' for the team - either a quality midfielder or centre back. 3 more quality signings and I'd be very happy going into the season.

After all Tonev has finally scored - what's not to be positive about!

Four?

are you including Bunn? As he is an absolutely typical Lambert style signing. Not saying he's bad, just saying.

also anyone one know why Senderos hasn't featured in any pre-season or U21 games? Is he still injured? He's not played in a ridiculously long time.

I think they're all "Lambert style signings" just worth a bit more money. 

Probably evidence that the manager doesn't have sole control over the transfers at AVFC anymore.

In fact, I'd say Bunn is pretty untypical of the transfer style when Lambert was here. He's not young for a start.

So you are saying Amavi is similar to Luna or Bennet - a French under-21 player? Richards similar to Senderous? Sorry, but my view of the player we have bought so far is a little different to yours. And my four, I am excluding Bunn but including Sinclair. Who scored goals for us last season - not like Tonev...

Amavi is a young player bought from a lesser league.

Richards is a proven premier league centreback who didn't quite make it at a big club and signed on a free. Just like mr Senderos

So yes. I think they are similar style signings. The good thing is we seem to be spending more money on them so we're getting (hopefully) better quality.

Edit: And you mean Sinclair, the player who Lambert signed?

Edited by Stevo985

I think in this instance Richard is not trying to be cryptic with any ITK stuff. He's simply posting his own opinion that because of the 2 recent and very significant sales, it's a massive week for Villa in the bigger picture because they need to stop the rot.

I agree with him too. Yes we know there's time left in the transfer market, but it's not as simple as that. Would those people who are telling everyone to calm down be OK with Sherwood doing all his business on the last day? Or the 2nd last day?  If that's not the case then when would be preferable for them?  Are they fine with bringing all the replacements in after the league campaign starts but before the window ends?  There is only 2 weeks to the Bournemouth game y'know.  Even if the players arrived today, that's not a lot of time to gel.

I've said before that the transfer market is a living thing. Targets and potential transfers are moving and happening all the time. The longer you leave it, the less there is to choose from. The less time you have to integrate them into the squad and; as Richard says; the more potential unrest that may come about within your existing squad, although personally I don't believe the latter to be that big a concern.

Now as fans we obviously don't know how many irons we have in the fire at present, but we need to get them out of the fire and turn them into squad members and stop 'trying on multiple fronts'.

The fact of the matter is that this squad which barely stayed up last season CURRENTLY has not replaced the 2 best players from that season.  Not to mention a senior defender.  We can only hope we've replaced Cleverley with Gueye.

I don't see how anyone can disagree when Richard says we need serious strengthening.  If people are really looking on the bright side of losing those 2 players then maybe the image of Villa fans and Brummies being a bit on the pessimistic or miserable side is badly misplaced.

Yes there is time to rectify it all, but it absolutely needs to happen and it is far more preferable for the reasons outlined above that it be done sooner rather than later.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• Like 1

We need players badly but I don't think they have to be bought this week. A player valued at £9m today may go for £7m on deadline day for example.

Yes but at the same time over 10% of our league fixtures will have been played in that time frame so surely the £2m extra would be worth the expense if it helped keep us up?

We need players badly but I don't think they have to be bought this week. A player valued at £9m today may go for £7m on deadline day for example.

Yes but at the same time over 10% of our league fixtures will have been played in that time frame so surely the £2m extra would be worth the expense if it helped keep us up?

Our first game is still some time away too.

Or valued for 10M today 12M on deadline day as we become more desperate and the selling club has less time to replace

Edited by Richard
  • Like 2

Our first game is still some time away too.

Just over 2 weeks, ideally any player to be playing in the opening fixture would want to be signed in the next 7-8 days.

Or valued for 10M today 12M on deadline day as we become more desperate and the selling club has less time to replace

Or bought by someone else.

• Like 2

Would those people who are telling everyone to calm down be OK with Sherwood doing all his business on the last day?

Or the 2nd last day?

If that's not the case then when would be preferable for them?

Are they fine with bringing all the replacements in after the league campaign starts but before the window ends?

There is only 2 weeks to the Bournemouth game y'know. Even if the players arrived today, that's not a lot of time to gel.

Yes.

Also fine.

Anytime between now and the end of deadline day.

Yes, that's okay if needs must.

Would people be okay with bringing them in next week or the week after? Or if we didn't, and it was deadline day, what affect would that have on you as a person? Let's say we signed five players on the Friday before the Bournemouth game - what would that do to you?

And it's not as simple as "getting those irons out the fire". Do you believe the club are working hard on targets at the moment or just nonchalantly sitting on their hands, not doing anything!?

• Like 1

And it's not as simple as "getting those irons out the fire". Do you believe the club are working hard on targets at the moment or just nonchalantly sitting on their hands, not doing anything!?

No-one said it was simple, but that's the business they're in. FWIW I do believe they're working hard and I've said all along that I do believe Sherwood is going to try his damnedest in every aspect of the job. But there is a time factor involved, that's all, and I don't just mean 'before the window shuts'.  Also FWIW I don't mind us doing some business on deadline day (makes it a fun day after all).  I'm not a big fan of brinksmanship.  Going back to what Brumerican said about a £9m player being available for £7m.  It's also possible (and more likely) that the £9m player goes up to £12m because the selling club don't want to lose him without chance of replacement OR that the £9m player has gone to someone else for £9m in the interim.  I'd rather have the £9m player in the squad right now for that price rather than play roulette with a value that I couldn't care less about.

• Like 1

I think that article is pretty on the money.

We need a series of 'big weeks' and every single thing we do in them needs to be smart and needs to be more or less instantly successful, or we are in trouble. Let's not forget that this team was shit last season and so far we've mostly gutted it with the shining lights largely joining the queue to leave sharpish, and not much coming the other way...

I think it is unnecessarily pessimistic.

One shining light out, Benteke; one broken light out, Vlaar; the others out are dim lights , in my opinion, including Delph.

Two bright lights in; two lights of debatable luminosity in; one steady light in, for use as required.

None of us, at this stage, know anything about the transfers in, but looking at my previous sentence, I would lean towards optimism.

• Like 2

Go away with your positivity guys. Until we sign some more quality including a striker, which you have to admit as days go on looks less an less likely. We are yet again firm relegation candidates.

It'll have to be a huge turn around for Lerner to spend 40-50 million, even if it is from transfers. He has always had money, just refused to spend it!!

No-one said it was simple, but that's the business they're in. FWIW I do believe they're working hard and I've said all along that I do believe Sherwood is going to try his damnedest in every aspect of the job. But there is a time factor involved, that's all, and I don't just mean 'before the window shuts'.  Also FWIW I don't mind us doing some business on deadline day (makes it a fun day after all).  I'm not a big fan of brinksmanship.  Going back to what Brumerican said about a £9m player being available for £7m.  It's also possible (and more likely) that the £9m player goes up to £12m because the selling club don't want to lose him without chance of replacement OR that the £9m player has gone to someone else for £9m in the interim.  I'd rather have the £9m player in the squad right now for that price rather than play roulette with a value that I couldn't care less about.

I just think that the club is totally invested in this moneyball approach and they probably are concerned over a few million here and there, whereas  you and I wouldn't care. I think we will do more business towards the end of the window rather than the next 7 days. 

Go away with your positivity guys. Until we sign some more quality including a striker, which you have to admit as days go on looks less an less likely. We are yet again firm relegation candidates.

It'll have to be a huge turn around for Lerner to spend 40-50 million, even if it is from transfers. He has always had money, just refused to spend it!!

Apart from the 90m of his own he put into the club in the MON days..

We could end up with Austin, Huddlestone and Tom Carroll (loan).

If that was it in this window what would you think?

Naff