Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Why move from Crystal Palace to a team that has sold it's two main players and is not known to pay high wages anymore?

I don't believe for a second that we are in for him.

I also think the Bolasie talk is nonsense. From our perspective, too much money and lessened resale potential because of his age, and from his unless he's supremely underpaid there's no benefit coming here.

Nothing in it IMO.

You might be surprised as I'd take him back in a heartbeat as well. I very much doubt it will happen though.

People put too much emphasis on net spend. The most important thing is getting the right players in.

If the right players cost £6m and £10m respectively, then we'd still have a "minus net spend" but the team would be stronger.

The only problem is doing business sooner rather than later. It generally takes a little while for new players to gel.

Agreed about net spend regarding quality of player. But we should be spending more then the £40 million we've just got because our squad needs strength and quality and there's no reason, other than lerner choosing not to, for it not to happen.
Depends on wages, though. People talk about a transfer budget or fees or whatever based solely on the price that is reported for the player (i.e: Benteke - £32.5m). Micah Richards cost "nothing" but will likely be on sizeable wages.

Of course, it's entirely speculation, but you could spend, say, £5m on Adebayor and be paying him £80k/wk. It's incredibly unlikely that we'd then go ahead and buy another 6 x £5m players on £80k/wk - although we'd still have spent less than the apparent requisite of £40m on these players.

I agree but with our wage bill significantly decreasing this summer that shouldn't restrict us too much.

I believe we should be able to invest more than £40 million on new players with competitive, sensible wages handed out.

I have serious doubts our owner will sanction this.

I can't see why our owner wouldn't support an equal net spend with sensible wages. If he doesn't want to invest further then so be it. You'd assume he'd have no problem spending roughly £45m this window on transfer fees though - so long as the right players are identified.

I'd rather invest sensibly and spend less than £40m than make an Andy Carroll-esque signing "just because".

So would I and I doubt anyone wants to spend a shit load on a player just because. After the last 4 years and the statement saying he wants nothing more to do with us, I have little faith that the owner will allow us to spend at a competitive rate. Without the sales of delph and benteke, a team like ours should be able to spend between £15-20 million. The wages have dropped massively so we should be able to add 7/8 players to the squad this window.

Hopefully a new chairman will be announced soon and we can stop worrying about decisions made from an owner who has sent us backwards.

I'd take Young back in a shot, but I doubt he'd take that backwards step at this point in time.  He's basically first choice on United's left unless they sign someone else.

Young would be a great player for us, he is quality. But we have Amavi and Sinclair on the left and I think the right side is a bigger weakness. I would prefer to see us strengthen the right with an attacking midfielder or winger.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1