Paddy Riley

smetrov

9 minutes ago, Kingman said:

With all due respect, Do we know that this guy didn't point us in the direction of Amavi, Traore, Gana, Veretout, Ayew? or are we giving Sherwood the credit?

Well if the general consensus is that the manager outlined what he wanted and Riley went out to look for similar then Riley would have been the one to suggest those guys. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Well if the general consensus is that the manager outlined what he wanted and Riley went out to look for similar then Riley would have been the one to suggest those guys. 

Yeah I think Sherwood went on record and said that he, Riley and the scouts put together a list of about 30 players and then they worked out who they could get that was available under the budget.  No different to all the other clubs, really.  If we get the right manager who can work like that, with a bit more cash to play with to sign better calibre targets, then I don't see why Riley can't be kept on.  I think most of the players we've spent any real money on from abroad are pretty decent, it's just the mainly British core that's been a disaster.

• Like 1

I sort of hope they don't appoint a DOF.

I'd honestly be happier if this was just left to the manager and his own scouting team. He chooses the players and then uses the players. That way the buck stops at him and there's no doubt at who to blame or praise when all is said and done.

I don't understand the hate towards him. I've seen enough in Gana, Ayew, Amavi and to a lesser degree Veretoyt to think they are decent players. Adama could be anything. The worst signings for me have been the names we new before or picked from the English leagues. If we had a manager who bought into the foreign players last year we'd have had a chance on staying up. If Riley was to stay I wouldn't mind. You just need a strong manager to say the positions that need filling as the main priority. We had good players last year we just had a crap team with a lop sided squad. This needs addressing. 

33 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't really understand the issue people have with Paddy to be honest.

Apparently he was the reason why Bernstein and King left :crylaugh:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:
Yeah I think Sherwood went on record and said that he, Riley and the scouts put together a list of about 30 players and then they worked out who they could get that was available under the budget.

This is all in the past and irrelevant now really (and let's hope Riley joins the procession out the door of those who produced the abject season of failure in 2015/6) but I would love to see the link to a quote where Sherwood said that. I've seen Fox say something like it but I don't think Sherwood has ever spoken positively about the summer recruitment.

Edited by briny_ear

If Moyes does get the job it could signal the end for Paddy. If Collymore is to be believed then Moyes was far from impressed when Paddy interrupted Sociedad's training session to introduce himself.

On 5/19/2016 at 13:55, dn1982 said:

I don't understand the hate towards him. I've seen enough in Gana, Ayew, Amavi and to a lesser degree Veretoyt to think they are decent players. Adama could be anything. The worst signings for me have been the names we new before or picked from the English leagues. If we had a manager who bought into the foreign players last year we'd have had a chance on staying up. If Riley was to stay I wouldn't mind. You just need a strong manager to say the positions that need filling as the main priority. We had good players last year we just had a crap team with a lop sided squad. This needs addressing. 

It's not just that though is it...as head of Recruitment he's surely in charge of our various departments...y'know the one that had one of the Scouts living in Australia and another a student.

Not very professional is it and we will surely see a much better structure under this regime. 

On 19/05/2016 at 14:18, briny_ear said:

This is all in the past and irrelevant now really (and let's hope Riley joins the procession out the door of those who produced the abject season of failure in 2015/6) but I would love to see the link to a quote where Sherwood said that. I've seen Fox say something like it but I don't think Sherwood has ever spoken positively about the summer recruitment.

He spoke positively about it while he was doing it.

When he realised he'd overseen the most catastrophic transfer window the club has ever been a part of, he backtracked somewhat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He spoke positively about it while he was doing it.

When he realised he'd overseen the most catastrophic transfer window the club has ever been a part of, he backtracked somewhat.

That's not a link to a quote.

Why would Riley, just like Sherwood in the reverse sense, get credit for Amavi, Gana and Ayew but not ripped for Lescott and Richards?

With a lack of evidence to the contrary they both should be held accountable for all summer signings, rather than people picking and choosing who signed who to suit their particular opinion. 

Edit - it was, for the main part, a disastrous window that drove the final nail in the coffin. I'm surprised Riley is still here. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

IIRC Sherwood was a pundit for BT Sport for I think the Leicester game when Garde was in charge and it was then that he was very complimentary about the club and also about how the club recruited players. I'm pretty sure he said they signed players the same way every other club did it.

He may well have been waiting to get more cash out of the club at that stage though who knows....

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why would Riley, just like Sherwood in the reverse sense, get credit for Amavi, Gana and Ayew but not ripped for Lescott and Richards?

With a lack of evidence to the contrary they both should be held accountable for all summer signings, rather than people picking and choosing who signed who to suit their particular opinion. 

Edit - it was, for the main part, a disastrous window that drove the final nail in the coffin. I'm surprised Riley is still here. 

They should both be blamed.

However, it's very hard for us to allocate blame accurately when we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

For all we know Riley might have found some incredible players, and Sherwood vetoed all of them to sign Lescott and Richards etc.

Or conversely, Riley might have sat on his arse all window and suggested Lescott and Richards, which forced Sherwood to find his own playersoff his own back with no support whatsoever and he was th eone who found Amavi, Ayew etc.

None of us know.

The fact Riley is still here possibly suggests he wasn't the biggest problem in all of this. It might also be totally irrelevant.

What I've always argued is that it was only until very recently that managers at our club weren't held accountable for their signings, regardless of who's fault it might actually be.

Lambert was held accountable, yet Sherwood seems to get absolved because of this transfer committee stuff, even though by all accounts that's how we, and most other premier league clubs, have operated for some time.

Edited by Stevo985

Â