Paddy Riley

smetrov

I think making Richards captain and the 'main man' in the middle of defence combined with the lax attitude of several players that we already had, had more of an effect than the big signings Reilly made. Ayew, Gana and Amavi all performed, Veretout was more of a dud but still wasn't that bad. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't buy this most of the players were actually OK really. The plainly weren't. With or without Richards and Lescott we were the third worst PL team ever. You don't get that just because of a couple of bad eggs,  the team from back to front left to right was totally dysfunctional under two different managers. Riley was responsible for this.  He was the main man. He put together a set of utterly atrocious / incompatible players making us a total shambles. It's almost impossible to see how anyone could have made a worse job of it. 

Yes you do.

Replace Lescott & Richards with Vlaar and Senderos (as an example) and you would have reduced our goals conceded by at least 20.

That have at the very least put us on level pegging with Norwich (GD-wise) 

Just now, mwj said:

Yes you do.

Replace Lescott & Richards with Vlaar and Senderos (as an example) and you would have reduced our goals conceded by at least 20.

In the history of guess work and complete fiction, the above statement is up there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

In the history of guess work and complete fiction, the above statement is up there. 

I got bored of it by February, but by then they were at 9 and that was before the Liverpool game etc...

Edited by mwj

Just now, mwj said:

I got bored of it by February, but by then we are at 9 and that was before the Liverpool game etc...

Is there a similar collection of individual defensive errors for Vlaar and Senderos? I dont seem to remember those two being McGrath and Teale.

Comparisons are entirely pointless as the circumstances are completely different. Would we have been better with other players, of course. We could also have been worse if Vlaar had been crocked (again), and left us completely in the lurch.

I believe we bought good players, who were woefully ill-prepared for the demands of the Premier League. Coupled with the complete inadequacy of Sherwood, zero strengthening in January and the club giving up after that, we had no chance. 

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Is there a similar collection of individual defensive errors for Vlaar and Senderos? I dont seem to remember those two being McGrath and Teale.

Comparisons are entirely pointless as the circumstances are completely different. Would we have been better with other players, of course. We could also have been worse if Vlaar had been crocked (again), and left us completely in the lurch.

I believe we bought good players, who were woefully ill-prepared for the demands of the Premier League. Coupled with the complete inadequacy of Sherwood, zero strengthening in January and the club giving up after that, we had no chance. 

That I agree with 100%

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-preparing-recruit-top-11457278?

Aston Villa want to recruit a technical director to help improve the club’s record in the transfer market, the Birmingham Mail understands.

New owner Tony Xia will look to the Premier League for the ideal candidate and has already discussed the plans with boss Roberto Di Matteo.

Xia, the Chinese businessman who is expected to complete his £75m takeover next week, is confident he can land a high-profile figure before the start of the Championship season.

And if the preferred target arrives, it is likely to end director of recruitment Paddy Riley’s time in charge of talent-spotting

The pull of the takeover appears to be working. BM very vague, but regardless spelling the end for Paddy.

a guy that has watched moneyball too many times and thinks he can do it

its time for a fresh approaching on scouting and purchasing players, time to buy players who can perform and not those based on the fact that they could perform.

Riley has got the blame for Sherwood spitting his dummy out and not actually creating a balanced squad. As a few have mentioned I don't think the foreign imports were that bad but they do tend to take time to settle and having half a teams worth was stupid but that doesn't stop the fact Sherwood never replaced the GK and RB he deemed not good enough the year before. It was also his decision to replace Benteke with Gestede!! I don't think Riley should stay but not on his signings more that we need a complete fresh start. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Riley has got the blame for Sherwood spitting his dummy out and not actually creating a balanced squad. As a few have mentioned I don't think the foreign imports were that bad but they do tend to take time to settle and having half a teams worth was stupid but that doesn't stop the fact Sherwood never replaced the GK and RB he deemed not good enough the year before. It was also his decision to replace Benteke with Gestede!! I don't think Riley should stay but not on his signings more that we need a complete fresh start. 

I'm not Sherwoods biggest critic but now the dust has settled, his signings were far worse than the foreign batch.

I think collectively, a certain amount of blame should lie at everyones door for failing to recognise the need for leadership and experience to carry the new foreign imports through. Sherwood to his credit may have partly addressed this in defence but I think a bigger issue was the failure to replace Delphs drive and leadership further up the field.

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Says it all about paddy, clinging on hoping tony would screw up, nobody is going to employ that word removed now.

I just don't understand comments like this at all.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I just don't understand comments like this at all.  

Yes it is difficult to understand why a relegation on your cv thanks largely to your decision making would make it difficult to find a job. Maybe he has been misunderstood all this time.

I had heard from a few sources that he was working very hard behind the scenes trying to fix the mess that was last year's transfer window.

It is quite a shame he has left as I heard he had even pre-ordered FM 17 and bought an extra laptop battery and everyfing.

I can only hope both of these items are refundable. Though I am sure that he would have claimed them on expenses.

Good luck in all your future roles Paddy. From taking Portsmouth from league 2 to the Champions League on FM 15 and taking Ireland to World Cup glory on Fm 16, you really had some wonderful moments here.

Edited by rodders0223

On 6/3/2016 at 09:37, mwj said:

Yes you do.

I feel a bit of revisionism is starting to set in viz. a number of our players. They pretty much all let us down last season outside one or two. Whilst the chief culprits were the 'British' lads our 'foreign' signings were pretty much all a profound waste of money and for one reason or enough did not deliver anywhere near as much as they should.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

Clearly not a popular opinion but I'd retain Riley in a more basic scouting position. To me he seems like a decent scout who can make good recommendations.

Â