Paddy Riley

smetrov

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

I am. Tom Fox did that, with RL's blessing

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge.

In that case having a recruitment director who isn't trusted with the task of recruiting a manager makes perfect sense. (it doesn't). If only he wasn't trusted to recruit the players too.

Edited by Pilchard

I can confirm that.

According to Fox, Riley's job was to find players that matched the managers requirement - so for example, in the summer the manager says I want a winger and I'd really like x or y who I've worked with before and think can do great things for us, Riley goes away and finds other wingers that might be of a similar ilk and then the manager, Riley and Fox sit down and go over the potential players - at the end they come out with a shortlist and starting with the managers favoured option they go out and try to get them, when won't come and y isn't interested, then the next option get bought. That's pretty much his whole job, find players and information on players that identifies them as meeting what the manager thinks the team needs. If the manager for example thinks what he needs is Townsend or Lennon, he makes sure there are other options when Townsend and Lennon say no and gives the manager enough information to say yes or no to those options.

When it came to appointing staff, Fox and Almstaadt would go out looking for the people they thought were a good fit as manager, and they'd do the same sort of process as Fox and Reilly and the manager when looking for coaching staff or physics or whatever.

• Like 3

Just now, Pilchard said:

..... having a recruitment director who isn't trusted with the task of recruiting a manager makes perfect sense. (it doesn't)

I believe that it's  player recruitment, rather than all recruitment. Maybe the title is a bit misleading, I dunno. But no one thinks he recruits stewards, or bar staff or ticket office people do they?

I thought it was commonly known his job is based around player recruitment and scouting, basically.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

In that case having a recruitment director who isn't trusted with the task of recruiting a manager makes perfect sense. (it doesn't). If only he wasn't trusted to recruit the players too.

He's not trusted to recruit the players - he's trusted to recommend players in positions in which the manager is looking for players - it means we're not limited to the manager's knowledge of players - it means we have time to employ someone who's only job is to know about players, which means he has time to see a lot more than the manager - it protects us a little from a manager who has a mate who's an agent and ends up buying enough players to have a giant house on the south coast, or a manager who only wants players that he's worked with before and leaves us with a dads army.

It's a model that Fox brought with him from Arsenal, and it's the one used by almost every club in the league with the exception of those that don't give the manager the final veto (Chelsea and Man City).

• Like 2

Just now, blandy said:

I thought it was commonly known his job is based around player recruitment and scouting, basically.

I guess all that stuff about him courting Steve Round for a place on the coaching staff was bullshit then.

9 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

The managers that Riley has picked and employed?

Riley was part of a team that wasted millions of pounds at Liverpool, came back here and then wasted millions of pounds here.

I don't think any manager would buy into it as it is against traditional football thinking. You would need to have a team all agreeing on the method and pulling together. Not going to happen. 

P.S. I think Liverpool have been wasting money for years without Riley's help. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's not trusted to recruit the players - he's trusted to recommend players in positions in which the manager is looking for players

OK. " If only he wasn't trusted to recommend players in positions in which the manager is looking for." 

Every single on of those players he 'recommended' have been a failure. This is the bloke who recommended we sign half the French league but managed to miss Payet.

It's somewhat surprising to see people sticking up for someone who failed so dismally and has a history of doing so. Can't wait to see the quality of the next lot of 'recommended' players.

2 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

I guess all that stuff about him courting Steve Round for a place on the coaching staff was bullshit then.

Dunno.  There's a difference regardless, between suggesting/ recommending someone for a role and being responsible for appointing someone, isn't there?

Just now, Pilchard said:

OK. " If only he wasn't trusted to recommend players in positions in which the manager is looking for." 

Every single on of those players he 'recommended' have been a failure. This is the bloke who recommended we sign half the French league but managed to miss Payet.

It's somewhat surprising to see people sticking up for someone who failed so dismally and has a history of doing so. Can't wait to see the quality of the next lot of 'recommended' players.

I'd say Amavi, Ayew and Gana have been our three best players this season - now that's not saying much given how bad we've been, but it's the five years before last summer that in my opinion have put us where we are - for me last summer was a sep in the right direction, we just didn't realise quite how deep a hole we'd dug.

• Like 3

Just now, blandy said:

Dunno.  There's a difference regardless, between suggesting/ recommending someone for a role and being responsible for appointing someone, isn't there?

I'm not sure there is. I'd say if you recommend someone for a position, or signing them, then you should be accountable for that signing. Are you saying that Riley, having recommended signing x,y and z, and they fail, should not made accountable for it?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd say Amavi, Ayew and Gana have been our three best players this season - now that's not saying much given how bad we've been, but it's the five years before last summer that in my opinion have put us where we are - for me last summer was a sep in the right direction, we just didn't realise quite how deep a hole we'd dug.

You would have been to more games that me this season, so are very much better placed. However Amavi we saw for what - four or five games? Made that ridiculous cock-up at Palace and showed nothing to me.  As for Gana - the replacement for Delph...every second touch is a tackle because he's given the ball away again.

Even if you thought those three players were money well spent - considering we spent £50m and ended up with those three that were any good, I just can't understand how anyone would think Riley is someone this club needs to progress in the future. Sorry.

5 hours ago, Pilchard said:

I'm not sure there is. I'd say if you recommend someone for a position, or signing them, then you should be accountable for that signing. Are you saying that Riley, having recommended signing x,y and z, and they fail, should not made accountable for it?

This little chat started out with me denying your statement that Reilly appointed Garde. It's gone slightly OT since that, but to answer your question, if Reilly's recommendations are consistently shown to be rubbish, then yes I'd make him accountable. As it happens I think and said previously that the summer recruiting and selling was terrible and a recipe for disaster. I'm not really defending reilly's overall position, far from it. Just saying he doesn't appoint people himself.

Thank God he is involved in the decision on the new manager. We really need someone with his supreme track record onboard to ensure we get this right 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pilchard said:

As for Gana - the replacement for Delph...every second touch is a tackle because he's given the ball away again.

Nope.

Gana this season:

- 85.5% pass completion (2nd highest for anyone at villa with 30+ passes per game)

- avg passes per game 53.6 (most at villa this season)

- 1.9 unsuccessful touches per game (not terrible given he sees the ball more than any other player on the team)

- dispossessed 1.0 times per game

- 4.3 interceptions per game (highest in premier league this season)

- 4.1 tackles per game (4th highest in league, 3rd if you discount Debuchy who has only played twice this season)

(As for Amavi, yes a couple of poor mistakes, but statistically was doing more defensively than anyone in the back line before his injury, 4th in league for interceptions, 6th for tackles if you exclude players with 3 or less games. And he looked an offensive threat with couple of assists in his few appearances)

• Like 4

my thoughts on riley still being employed is that, riley didn't tender his resignation as did fox and almstadt and would therefore require sacking and possibly more of a pay-off.

I bet randy has had enough of compensation pay outs and believing the club will change hands soon, has left it to the next custodian to dismiss him in the inevitable staff changes.

• 4 weeks later...

With all due respect, Do we know that this guy didn't point us in the direction of Amavi, Traore, Gana, Veretout, Ayew? or are we giving Sherwood the credit?

Edited by Kingman

Â