Paddy Riley

smetrov

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 10:22, briny_ear said:

OK, just looking at his employment dates with us and Liverpool, as shown on LInkedIn, here is a list of the players who came to each club while he was head of recruitment/scouting at each club. Not saying he was necessarily responsible for scouting all of these, in particular the July 2011 ones when he was new to the post (having been Head of performance analysis at Villa before then)

Head of Recruitment & Analytics   Aston Villa  

July 2011 – November 2012

Shay Given

Charles N'Zogbia
Alan Hutton
Enda Stevens
Karim El Ahmadi
Brett Holman
Matthew Lowton
Ron Vlaar
Joe Bennett
Christian Benteke
Jordan Bowery
Ashley R Westwood

Scouting Coordinator Liverpool  

November 2012 - [?December 2014?]

Daniel Sturridge
Philippe Coutinho
Luis Alberto
Iago Aspas
Simon Mignolet
Joao Teixeira
Kolo Toure
Mamadou Sakho
Tiago Ilori
Kevin Stewart
Rickie Lambert
Adam Lallana
Emre Can
Lazar Markovic
Dejan Lovren
Divock Origi
Alberto Moreno Perez
Mario Balotelli
Javi Manquillo (loan)

Head Of RecruitmentAston Villa 
[?December 2014] - present
Carles Gil
Scott Sinclair (loan)

Obviously working with a bigger budget at Liverpool but not a bad track record!

Says It all

A lot of failures on that list at least for Villa. Seems he can work with money as Liverpool's list obviously reads rather well aside from some duds which all teams will sign. Seems Riley's issue is more finding players on an incredibly tight budget than anything. Could he be an asset under Xia? Maybe, but I think his failings at this club have meant any chance to try and make a mends is gone.

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

A relegation?  He wasn't the manager??  Why is he "clinging on"?  Why is he a word removed?  You have no idea what his remit was,  you have no idea what recommendations he made to Sherwood which he just ignored? He may have scouted Kante and Mahrez for all we know.  Our signings in the summer weren't even that bad,  those players were actually our better players bar Richards and Lescott (do you really think Reilly scouted those two players?)

Your whole statement is frankly complete bollocks really,  Reilly has for whatever reason become a scapegoat for our relegation and I'm not sure why.  Scouts don't get clubs relegated.  

I mean we got relegated because of Reilly's decision making?!  I didn't realise Reilly hired Sherwood... 

Do share exactly why you feel Reilly should stay and what exactly he brings to the table. 

I feel a bit of revisionism is starting to set in viz. a number of our players. They pretty much all let us down last season outside one or two. Whilst the chief culprits were the 'British' lads our 'foreign' signings were pretty much all a profound waste of money and for one reason or enough did not deliver anywhere near as much as they should.

I'm not sure slating Richards & Lescott smacks of "revisionism". You did watch the games last season, right?

4 hours ago, Daweii said:

A lot of failures on that list at least for Villa. Seems he can work with money as Liverpool's list obviously reads rather well aside from some duds which all teams will sign. Seems Riley's issue is more finding players on an incredibly tight budget than anything. Could he be an asset under Xia? Maybe, but I think his failings at this club have meant any chance to try and make a mends is gone.

We cannot risk getting another bunch of funding wrong.

Even if the scouting needs restructuring, it's something that would take time, so there would be an advantage to make use of the scouting that the club has already done under Riley.  Most of us would keep Amavi, Ayew, Veretout, Adama and Gana if we had the choice, and there were players like Abemayang that we scouted as well as others who were beyond our means under Lambert, but it seems to me identifying the talent has never been a huge problem for us.  It's been down to funds really.

we all clearly know its a much bigger picture than just blaming paddy, but theres no denying that hes partly to blame, his scouts scouted the dross that we sign that has relegated us, i dont know who negotiated the contracts with players and agents but more of the blame has to lie with sherwood and managers before but not intergrating the foreign players.

but back onto paddy, its no secret his scouting methods are highly questionable, too much moneyball and football manager, did he ever go into the field himself and look at actual players?

Says It all

Needs updating with the total rubbish he "scouted' in summer 2015 and his reported failure even to approach players fancied by Garde in January. I am struggling to understand the dynamics of this pro-Riley movement that seems to be growing. Last season was a total disaster and everyone at the club, from owner downwards, need to be expelled. Nearly all have gone so why would there be any merit in keeping one of the failed management/scouting team?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I will wish him all the best for the future. It's not worked out for him here but I certainly don't think he's a word removed. I've never met the guy. 

I did,  he wasnt

• Like 1

All Riley has done/did/does is put up suggestions to the Management Team (Whoever decides the Transfers).

The list above just highlights the ones that Villa and Liverpool managed to sign.

Who knows what other Gems he found we failed to get.  We were linked heavily with Deli Ali before Spurs nicked in.

Also Villa were linked to Coutinho and Riley then moved to Liverpool.  Next thing we know Coutinho moves to Liverplop.

Perhaps someone has seen that Riley has done some good work but certain People wasnt listening.

If we can get better then let him go, but if we cant no use chucking him out to appease the baying dogs need for a scapegoat.

• Like 2

Here (Birmingham Mail)

Paddy Riley’s time at Aston Villa appears to be over following Tony Xia’s takeover.

The Chinese businessman highlighted Villa’s failings in the transfer market as an area of weakness and will now take ruthless action.

When asked what Riley’s future holds, Xia replied: “Honestly, everyone should agree with me, that he didn’t do too well.

“So people should understand what he has to do, what responsibility he has to take.

“But everybody should take full responsibility for what happened no matter what the situation.”

Riley, the director of scouting and recruitment, was responsible for a number of Villa’s failed signings last summer.

He clashed with previous managers Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde and is expected to be relieved of his duties.

New manager Roberto Di Matteo will be the man picking the new players until a technical director comes in to work alongside him.

If he is the director of scouting and recruitment and we spent c £50 million on 13 new players and finished with 17 points and relegated.

I'm not claiming to be Sherlock Holmes, but I would say he needs a pretty good alibi.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

When you are building a football team, I can't understand how it can be left to anyone else but the manager to target them.

Players are individuals but just like the blender in a distillery, its the manager that blends them in to a team.....or in our case not.

Its not always the best individuals that make the best team.....that is the genius of the manager.

To be honest I am astounded the previous regime didn't get rid of him full stop and then as part of the takeover discussions... You get rid of him please so it's not our bad..

Â