Paddy Riley

smetrov

I know nothing about him - hope ive spelled his name right :-

Anyone got any details on his CV - Has he returned to us from Liverpool ? - What's his job role ?

He left us and went to Liverpool in 2012 and became their scouting co-ordinator. Now he is back as our chief scout, he is in charge of our scouting network and Tom Fox looks to rely on him heavily when bringing in players now. He "pushed" the club to sign Christian Benteke. 

Did he have anything to do with Gil, or wasn't he back with us when he was scouted? Not that it matters particularly, it's just that if he's unearthed a few gems like that then who know what he'll get in the future.

I've read online in his first spell he spotted Benteke and suggested him to Lambert!! and elsewhere that he also spotted Gil (As he arrived back from Liverpool before Christmas)

Again not 100% sure if this info is correct just passing on what I have read on other forums.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Lad posted this on another forum:

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=53644.0

I don't normally (ever) post on here, and prefer just to be a silent reader, but I knew Paddy quite well from his first stint at the Villa and would like to say a few words.
He was employed initially as as a science coach- making sure Richard Dunne kept in shape (or not) and then became chief scout. 
We can thank Paddy for finding Westwood and the Beast. 
He left to become being chief scout at Liverpool and is now back at Bodymoor.
Edited by Villan4Life

Seems he's the Villa version of Peter Brand (Moneyball)

Remember reading before that he was involved with using player statistics in a database for player recruitment when we appointed Michael Henke.

from 2012:

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2885487,00.html

Villa's domestic database of player analysis is overseen by Patrick Riley, with tools from Amisco being utilised for statistical background to enhance the club's knowledge in the recruitment process. Gareth Payne provides analysis of opposition players
Edited by Villan4Life

A few of us have been chatting about him on Twitter.  It would be interesting to see what people know of him.  It seems that he was quite key in the recruitment of players such as Westwood, Benteke and Gil.  I believe he was focusing on Performance Analytics when MON was here then did scouting at Liverpool before returning as Head of Recruitment.  Do we need a DOF with this guy around?  Or do we need someone to manage the footballing infastructure of the club rather than a typical DOF?

Â