Paddy Riley

smetrov

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

So a guy living in Italy wakes up one morning and hits on an idea for creating a footballers database and calls it Wyscout.....fine......and then we all buy in to that, lazy scouting.

Not much different from the modern method of buying off the internet....fine too, but has its limitations.

.....but do we REALLY know what we are buying, stats are OK up to a point, but not the complete low down.

but there is a trade off for speed.....it's called quality and trust.

there has been a tried and tested system for years and it has served us well.....It's like a ripple effect the further afield you go the more likely it is to struggle for loyalty and passion and more likely to have to pay through the nose.

The Gary Shaws and Keith Leonard's must still be out there.

We simply haven't got the funds to make the amount of mistakes the rich clubs can and unfortunately have evidence to prove it.

we need to get more right than wrong.....that simply hasn't happened.

It must be great living permanently in the 1980s

You think the Southhamptons, Leicesters, Malagas, Udineses, Hoffenheims etc of the world are keeping it old school and relying on scouting everything in person? Wake up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

I understand the passion in your post but I don't understand what you are suggesting to make things better?? What is this tried and trusted system that you are recommending??

I'd love it if the academy could produce another Gary Shaw but they don't come along that often.  I also think that things have moved on to a point where the jump from non-league to Premiership is just too great.  I'm sure you'll quote Vardy back at me but I think that he represents a one-off rather than a rich seam of non-league talent ready to be mined.

Personally I don't think that the quality of the recruits is as bad as the lack of balance and thought when putting them together into a squad - I place most of the blame with Sherwood for this

The one that produced  Keith Leonard,Gary Shaw,Brian Little, John Gidman, Sid Cowans, Colin Gibson,Gareth Barry etc ......They never did come along that often.....you have to look for them and prospect/scout.

....its called hard work and diligence.

Employing the right people to look for them and not relying on the internet, so much....Is one trick.....its what they did for years....Vic Crowe >Tony Barton

I think you have a most valid point about the lack of balance.....I don't agree with the last bit, he wasn't with us long enough to apportion the amount of blame you are suggesting.

The bit about the game has moved on.....The game has always moved on and it always will......I understand that the amount of players that make that transition successfully are few and far between, but I don't think there is an exclusive reason for that.....Some football management do not have the balls/the know how/ the time/ the inclination to do it and some have so much money to play with they take the easy route and one which will avoid their CV being tarnished.

The problem for us is we are in no mans land caught between a rock and a hard place.....,We can no longer play at the top table in financial terms, but we think we are too big to take the Leicester/Watford/Bournemouth/Crystal Palace route......or don't have the know how.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, mwj said:

It must be great living permanently in the 1980s

You think the Southhamptons, Leicesters, Malagas, Udineses, Hoffenheims etc of the world are keeping it old school and relying on scouting everything in person? Wake up

I'm not saying there is a need to live in the past....but history can teach you things.....how do you think we learn. That is exactly what experience is, learning from good practice .....as they say ,you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

as for waking up.....you want to practice what you preach.

ps ......the late 70's early 80's was good, we watched winning football.....I feel sorry for you younger fans.....we had our bit of Glory

pps ....at least we got to see what it looked like.

Edited by TRO

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not saying there is a need to live in the past....but history can teach you things.....how do you think we learn. That is exactly what experience is, learning from good practice .....as they say ,you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

ps ......the late 70's early 80's was good, we watched winning football.....I feel sorry for you younger fans.....we had our bit of Glory

I know you were coming from a good place but I'm **** sick of people feeling sorry for me. I'm not a glory supporter, I don't follow Aston Villa because they might win things. 

Please don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for yourself if anything as you know what you're missing out on. 

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm not sure what your point is.

As I said previously, data and video scouting are here to stay, we can either choose to be clever and utilise it well like some of the smaller clubs punching above their weight on smaller budgets (Hoffenheim, Udinese, Ajax etc) or stick with our tried and tested system of 60k pw 5 year contracts for NZogbia, Bent, Hutton etc

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

he is just a glorified scout by sounds of it so he will probably be demoted

He's not even that. I believe his background was compiling stats on players and downloading them onto discs.

Rumour has it that he's a plasterer by trade.

I was listening to Talksport the other day and it was mentioned that Villa have this system in place where they predict the amount of goals a player will score or make, from his stats. I don't know how true this is but it certainly fits in with Reileys previous. I would love to hear what Paul Lambert had to say on Villas buying policy.

These utter, utter comedians have gambled with the clubs status on some absolutely crazy ideas. Who in their right frame of mind would trust the judgement of Paddy Reiley ahead of Tim Sherwood, Ray Wilkins or even Paul Lambert.

With the benefit of hindsight, is it any wonder that the club are where we are, given the assortment of chancers we've had at the helm

• Like 1

It's funny where you can see this thread was bumped after a year! The kudos for for signing Coutinho for Liverpool to 'Get the F*** Out' in two posts.

Not for the first time Villa fans have been sold the idea that a small group of people are responsible for all our woes and that replacing them will make things OK.

And that seems to have been swallowed hook line and sinker by some.

Fox, Almstadt and (maybe) Riley sacked. So everything is OK now, eh?

Err, no, not really.

• Like 2

I have to say that Fox, Almstadt & Riley out, Little, Bernstein in, is a step in the right direction. The first step, hopefully of many that will see the club back in its rightful place.

Next to go will hopefully be Garde who has been placed in the wrong job at the wrong time . That said, he has hardly set the world alight and with rumours that he's lost the dressing room rife, he is the obvious next casualty.

New manager comes in and an overhaul of the squad in the summer.

Everything is not OK but I think most fans will settle for this at this present time

Â