Paddy Riley

smetrov

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

To be honest I am astounded the previous regime didn't get rid of him full stop and then as part of the takeover discussions... You get rid of him please so it's not our bad..

The Dr. asked specifically that he be kept on until after the takeover so he could personally give him the sack. ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TRO said:

If he is the director of scouting and recruitment and we spent c £50 million on 13 new players and finished with 17 points and relegated.

I'm not claiming to be Sherlock Holmes, but I would say he needs a pretty good alibi.

Don't think it's nowhere near good enough by Sherwood is a pretty decent alibi ;) 

8 hours ago, useless said:

Here (Birmingham Mail)

No he is simply misunderstood and made an outstanding contribution last year suggesting players like messi and ronaldo only for those control freak managers to dash his dreams. P45? Medal more like.

19 hours ago, TRO said:

When you are building a football team, I can't understand how it can be left to anyone else but the manager to target them.

Players are individuals but just like the blender in a distillery, its the manager that blends them in to a team.....or in our case not.

Its not always the best individuals that make the best team.....that is the genius of the manager.

i agree with this, its crazy how the manager hardly gets any input into the team he has to manage and is expected to coach whatever players are handed to him.

surely the manager knows what team he wants more so than anyone else? the manager should manage 3 teams, scouting team, coaching team and playing staff, it might seem alot, but it makes more sense.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Apparently he had a deal in place to sign Anthony Martial for 18m euros according to Twitter but TS didn't want it.  Would be interesting to know if there's any truth in that.  

No chance.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I do vaguely remember a link to Marial around this time last year.

Why would he come here though knowing likes of Man. United were in for him?

And why so cheap? And why would we suddenly have that sort of money for a player? It's just a daft rumour.

• Like 1

It was around the period we were spending 50m on ligue 1.

His name certainly popped up on here so not hugely credible. It was when Spurs were being linked with him for 20m IIRC, no one thought Man. United would come in and blow everyone out of the water.

Riley's an idiot anyway so it dosen't really matter.

Edit:

Here are, July 17 2015

https://www.villatalk.com/search/?type=all&q=anthony+martial

Summer Speculation 2015

Nabby replied to lexicon's topic in Villa Talk

L'equipe linking us withAnthonyMartial from Monoco 19 striker

Edited by VillaChris

Martial was linked by the French magazine L'equipe last pre-season, I'd never heard of him, but most people who knew of him didn't believe the rumour because he was meant to be one of the best young strikers in Europe. I imagine someone's rememered that story and used it, to start this latest rumour that Riley had agreed a deal for him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

Martial was linked by the French magazine L'equipe last pre-season, I'd never heard of him, but most people who knew of him didn't believe the rumour because he was meant to be one of the best young strikers in Europe. I imagine someone's rememered that story and used it, to start this latest rumour that Riley had agreed a deal for him.

Pretty much that in a nutshell.

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

And why so cheap? And why would we suddenly have that sort of money for a player? It's just a daft rumour.

It's about the price Tottenham were supposedly offered him wasn't it? Which was around the same time this would have been.

Not that I believe it but the price is the believable bit to an extent. Although the price increase from what Tottenhan were  possibly offered to what Man Utd paid is a pretty extraordinary increase. Even with the way selling clubs manage to get a few extra million from clubs with more money than most.

• Like 1

Not necessarily defending the guy as to be honest I am not even sure of his record, but wouldn't he be responsible for the likes of Benteke, Ayew, Adama, and Gana? Also at the time of signing wasn't Vertout highly rated? I am also thinking it must be harder to work on the Villa budget we had then, as a pose to Liverpool. Then again his job was to do just that at the budget! catch 22 for me.

Â