Paddy Riley

smetrov

Has he done such a bad job??? Now I'm not sure if he was in charge of assigning and keeping on top of the scouts or if that was Almstadt so seeing as he's still here I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so I'll judge him on our signings. For me Gestede has been our biggest waste and apparently that was all Sherwood! Anybody who has seen Gestede live would've known he isn't mobile enough for the PL.  Richards I thought would be a good signing but he's just got worse as times gone on. Lescott I don't think has been that bad all these I'd say we're more Sherwood than Riley. Then you come to the foreign signings. Amavi Gana Veretout and Adama all have talent and I think would be decent in a side playing with confidence. The biggest mistake for me last summer was having such a lop sided squad with players bought that didn't fit a system and that's not really Riley's fault he finds the players that's his job. Getting the right ones for the style of play is the managers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Has he done such a bad job??? Now I'm not sure if he was in charge of assigning and keeping on top of the scouts or if that was Almstadt so seeing as he's still here I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so I'll judge him on our signings. For me Gestede has been our biggest waste and apparently that was all Sherwood! Anybody who has seen Gestede live would've known he isn't mobile enough for the PL.  Richards I thought would be a good signing but he's just got worse as times gone on. Lescott I don't think has been that bad all these I'd say we're more Sherwood than Riley. Then you come to the foreign signings. Amavi Gana Veretout and Adama all have talent and I think would be decent in a side playing with confidence. The biggest mistake for me last summer was having such a lop sided squad with players bought that didn't fit a system and that's not really Riley's fault he finds the players that's his job. Getting the right ones for the style of play is the managers. 

Indeed, it depends on what his remit has been.  In terms of identifying talent I think we've done OK since he has been here, it's the whole budget and choosing the right players in the right places that has been the problem.  I have no idea whether that's his job or not, or whether the board are waiting for a manager to come in and decide for themselves.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him on his way though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Indeed, it depends on what his remit has been.  In terms of identifying talent I think we've done OK since he has been here, it's the whole budget and choosing the right players in the right places that has been the problem.  I have no idea whether that's his job or not, or whether the board are waiting for a manager to come in and decide for themselves.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him on his way though.

That's it the players are ok it's just they're not a squad 

44 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Yes,  apparently he's on a 18 year contact. And release clause consisting of a flock of seagulls and a complete original Ewok village.

The band or the birds?

On 26 March 2016 at 04:40, Jareth said:

Riley you plonker - this is what happens when nobody's steering the ship -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/26/aston-villa-ready-to-part-company-with-remi-garde/

5 mins on google would suggest this pretty misleading.

Article states the scouts have "no experience of professional football" which suggests they've had no involvement at all. But nearly all seem to have plenty prior experience of scouting and academy work with other premier league clubs. And I don't believe most scouts at most clubs are top level ex-pros either.

The chap supposedly doing a journalism degree appears to have graduated in 2011. And is now based in Madrid.

Based on the above I'm going to suggest the Australia thing is being made to be more than it is.

And as a couple of others have suggested, have our best players this season not been those that supposedly Riley and the scouts were responsible for? And have the players that have let us down most not been Sherwood signings according to the man himself? And wasn't Riley supposedly involved in bringing Benteke to the club, who basically kept us up for 3 seasons?

i get the vitriol for some others at the club, most of whom have now gone, but I think Riley tends to get unfairly lumped in with them.

• Like 4

The problem is none of us really know what he does, it's hard to know whether he's done it badly or well but it's easy to lump him in with Fox and Almstad. My guess is only those close to him know whether his contribution has been worthwile, if it wasn't I think he'd have gone by now.

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I noticed he was sat with the rest of the board at the game, I guess that means he is surviving the cull.

Hopefully they are just messing with his head

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently his job is safe!!! 

Aston Villa’s much maligned head of recruitment, Paddy Riley, has been given a stay of execution in a move which will infuriate supporters.

Riley’s job is safe – for now – despite a ruthless cull which has seen Remi Garde, Tom Fox and Hendrik Almstadt leave the crisis club as part of an extensive review into Villa’s nightmare campaign.

Telegraph Sport understands that around 500 jobs will be going from the club’s training ground and Villa Park but Riley and his scouting team are not under threat, which is thought to have angered club staff.

It can also be revealed that Riley has even been involved in discussions over the new manager, with Nigel Pearson and David Moyes still understood to be the leading contenders, and his future is unlikely to be decided until an appointment is made. 

Riley has emerged as a target for frustrated fans as he was heavily involved in Villa’s £55 million spending spree last summer, which has proven such a contentious issue. Many of those 12 signings have flopped spectacularly, while Riley’s scouting network was pinpointed as a major problem by former director David Bernstein, who sensationally quit on Monday. 

Yet Riley is known to be close with owner Randy Lerner, leading to suggestions that his position is secure until a new manager comes in. He has been watching Championship games this month as Villa prepare for next season in the second tier, following their first relegation since 1987. 

Villa are stepping up their attempts to sell the club this summer, with chairman Steve Hollis thought to be considering three bids. Lerner will accept around £75 million for the relegated club – half the initial asking price – and Hollis is using London-based law firm Squire Patton Boggs to assist in the sale. 

Villa also expect to conclude their investigation into striker Gabriel Agbonlahor this week, after he was pictured with laughing gas canisters on the night the club’s relegation was officially confirmed. Agbonlahor was suspended for the second time and is likely to be fined, ahead of his departure this summer. The 29-year-old is understood to have an offer on the table from a club in the Middle East.

I find it astonishing that the one man who had to go, the man primarily responsible for recruitment, who spent £50million on complete rubbish, who then appointed the complete failure of Remi Garde, is the one out of all of them that's staying all because he's Randy Lerner's mate.

Has anyone read or seen anything on the money ball philosophy that we supposedly utilised in the summer? 

I saw the film and read details on it, interesting concept but often if the manager doesn't buy in then the thing falls apart.  Take Adama, statistically he may produce 2-3 key passes and one assist per 90 mins. He will also not track back a certain percentage leading to an overload down that flank. The money ball idea would have that as a statistically acceptable risk, a football manager would have that as a strategic disaster and not play him as he is too raw. 

Riley might argue if managers played the players as recruited, we would be in this mess and be 12th. I am struggling to see it but it's a theory that most managers would not buy into. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

I find it astonishing that the one man who had to go, the man primarily responsible for recruitment, who spent £50million on complete rubbish, who then appointed the complete failure of Remi Garde, is the one out of all of them that's staying all because he's Randy Lerner's mate.

He didn't spend the money or appoint Remi Garde, to be fair. That was Tom Fox

1 minute ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Riley might argue if managers played the players as recruited, we would be in this mess and be 12th. I am struggling to see it but it's a theory that most managers would not buy into. 

The managers that Riley has picked and employed?

Riley was part of a team that wasted millions of pounds at Liverpool, came back here and then wasted millions of pounds here.

Â