Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

On 05/02/2017 at 14:19, mjmooney said:

I agree. But I suspect that (lottery winners aside) most rich people are workaholics to begin with. Yes, they like the big bank balance, big house, big car, trophy wife, etc., it all feeds their ego. But they are not motivated by the desire for leisure time, and they probably lack the imagination to do anything other than work. 

Whoa there, massive generalisation alert. Sounds like anyone who is 'rich', self made or otherwise, is basically a prick with no life? 

I quite enjoy my business. I mean not all of the time, but a fair chunk of it. It will probably make me 'rich' one day and maybe I'll retire early, but more than likely I'll always stay involved. I find it mentally stimulating and I also enjoy other intangible benefits from it, such as helping others to grow and completing often challenging projects. 

Some people get more satisfaction from daytime TV or bird watching, fair enough. I'd be bored out of my mind and likely in a grave within 5 years.

I realised a while back that racing towards retirement isn't for me. I spend quite a lot of my life working, as we all do, so I am better off doing something I might actually derive pleasure from. As long as that pleasure remains, I'll continue to work. I've plenty of social time as it is, don't you worry ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember if I commented when it's been spoken about before but this is how it should be done.

Sausage sandwich, butter & English mustard.

Bacon sandwich, butter & brown sauce.

I'll mix it it up occasionally but that is my standard if I'm making it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I knew someone would bring up the fish with chips and gravy issue. You didn't let me down :)

I'm nothing but predictable :)

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I've recently got my man buds and suddenly love Brown sauce.

After the whole blandygate gravygate thing, I went and got it.  Didn't disappoint. 

Woah! A double convert :)

My work on this planet is over. Laters earthlings :wave:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Brown sauce, NO butter by the way. 

But then I'm not a huge fan of butter either. Sue me you ****. 

I only like butter when I can't see it, in other words, when it's melted.  Thus hot bacon or sausage is perfectly acceptable with butter.  Throw an egg in, then it definitely needs sauce red or brown without any butter.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't get why, in an age of such good telecomms, that I still have to show up to the office at 9am and leave at 5pm every single week day. 

So "the man" can keep you in check.

19 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't get why, in an age of such good telecomms, that I still have to show up to the office at 9am and leave at 5pm every single week day. 

You do? I pretty much come and go as I please. Even if I have a meeting, I often just call it in.

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's stupid.

I am seconded to a large Telecommunications firm in the US.  There was a policy a few years before I joined encouraging teams to work from home.  This was a good incentive for both employer and employee as it meant the real estate costs could be cut, they could save energy la la laa.

Then after 6 months they changed it again because some director decided he didn't like that he couldn't see what his staff were doing at all times.  

The director of Coporate Real Estate I work in is very old fashioned.  He works 7am - 7pm everyday (inc New Year's & Xmas eve (as it's not in the policy to finish any earlier)).  We have laptops, very good log in software (from a safety point of view, 4 passwords to get into our own desktops) and they still expect you to sit there like a goose 9-5 like good little workers. 

And if I've had "Watch what you're looking at on the internet" chat with my boss every time I've seen him - I always say the same thing "I'm not looking at anything bad, but I need a break occasionally" - as my work can be a bit repetitive.

My history is as follows;

BBC

VT

Trip Advisor

That's it.  **** off. Paranoid knobs.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's utter bollocks isn't it. I could easily do my job from home, Data Protection Act is the reason we can't. I could break the data protection act if I wanted to all day every day in the office and they wouldn't have a clue. It makes zero bloody difference

• Like 3

Â