Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

30 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Talking of which I bumped into a mate that works for them yesterday ... said the license has finished on the muppets and Stallone adverts so they can't use them anymore 

but the new ones are going to feature a British woman whose even bigger than Stallone ,now unless he meant weight and it's Adele , I'm blowed if I can think of a British woman who is bigger than Stallone ?? Any one hazard a guess ?

I'd say the only British woman anywhere near as famous as Stallone is the queen.

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

This is where I wish I was politically ignorant, as I used to love a slice of Warbuton's. Can't be buying bread from Tory donors though.

Well that's me converted to Kingsmill then.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

This is where I wish I was politically ignorant, as I used to love a slice of Warbuton's. Can't be buying bread from Tory donors though.

Presumably you don't buy anything at Boots , drink IPA , fill up your car at BP garages , stay in a De Vere hotel , drink at Costa coffee , bet at Ladbrokes , shop at M&S,use google , use Facebook ,drink Smirnoff , Jonny walker , Guinness or Baileys , or eat Thorntons either :)

to name but a few ...

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Presumably you don't buy anything at Boots , drink IPA , fill up your car at BP garages , stay in a De Vere hotel , drink at Costa coffee , bet at Ladbrokes , shop at M&S,use google , use Facebook ,drink Smirnoff , Jonny walker , Guinness or Baileys , or eat Thorntons either :)

to name but a few ...

Not if I can avoid it, no. Although as I say it's hard, as I like their bread, and especially used to love a pint of the black stuff. I try and avoid Ginsters, Melton Mowbray, Betfair, etc too, as well as obvious tax dodgers, and the likes of Sky, The Sun, Nestle, Coca-Cola etc. I admit it's not something I can do as often as I'd like, but I where ever possible, if I can find an alternative, I will. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

to name but a few ...

What, every brewery who brews IPA donates to the Tory party?!

And I'm not sure how someone who _used_ to work for Google signing a letter counts as Google themselves donating to them?

After reading this list, it actually confirms that the people who I already thought were scumbags are actually so, https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2015/apr/01/tory-100-industry-captains-party-donors-tax-avoiders with such upstanding figures as Karen Brady, Peter Cullum and Duncan Bannatyne on there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

This is where I'm glad I am politically ignorant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Duncan Bannatyne

We as he a scumbag when he was a labour donor or only after he saw he the light ? :)

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We as he a scumbad when he was a labour donor or only after he saw he the light ? :)

He's always been an arsehole in my humble opinion :)

9 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Not if I can avoid it, no. Although as I say it's hard, as I like their bread, and especially used to love a pint of the black stuff. I try and avoid Ginsters, Melton Mowbray, Betfair, etc too, as well as obvious tax dodgers, and the likes of Sky, The Sun, Nestle, Coca-Cola etc. I admit it's not something I can do as often as I'd like, but I where ever possible, if I can find an alternative, I will. 

Again, I'm so glad I don't give a shit about this :) 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again, I'm so glad I don't give a shit about this :) 

Seconded, sound's like it makes life way more complicated than it needs to be. If I want something I just buy it :)

• Like 2

The only real power consumers have is voting with their wallets.

I couldn't give a shit how good their products are, I wouldn't give the bastards at Nestle a **** penny. Kitkats and mediocre coffee aren't worth funding one of the most malacious corporations on the planet.

Yep, although they have to be real bastards and proper tax dodgers for me to commit to avoiding them. I.e. Nestle. Just supporting a party I don't like seems a bit extreme for me. Amazon is a real bugger though... I thought I'd got round it by using Abebooks - until I realised they were owned by Amazon too :( Most of the time I manage to avoid it, but there's always something at some point I need to use it for. Very irritating. 

Fortunately many of the stuff cited is shit I would avoid anyway for reasons of taste -like the Sun and coffee at Starbucks so the whole boycotting thing is moot.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The only real power consumers have is voting with their wallets.

I couldn't give a shit how good their products are, I wouldn't give the bastards at Nestle a **** penny. Kitkats and mediocre coffee aren't worth funding one of the most malacious corporations on the planet.

Stuff like that is different.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Stuff like that is different.

How is it different, if it's something you believe in? If I have a social or political conscience (and the two are not mutually exclusive), not to contributing to something I believe does harm to me and my society is a logical step to take. Unfortunately I'm not even anywhere near where I'd like to be yet. I still use the services of corporations I really don't like, and I'm still learning about companies I didn't even realise had links to things I'm ideologically opposed to. Personally I think I have a responsibility to spend my money as wisely as possible, so as not to contribute to the things I disagree with.   

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I get why its so difficult to give up once you are hooked

it isn't that difficult is it ? you just don't buy them or when a colleague says coming form a fag , you answer "no thank you"

simples

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wouldn't give the bastards at Nestle a **** penny. Kitkats and mediocre coffee aren't worth funding one of the most malacious corporations on the planet.

My cat clearly doesn't have a social conscious as she eats their Purina product range without a care

Â